WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Why didn't Tudor do the same Pelagos LHD color-scheme in the RHD reference as well?

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr. Magoo 
#1 ·
So! Love the LHD creamy white colors, the red "Pelagos" font, and that awesome roulette-styled black/red date display. Not a fan of LHD. It'd be a nugget of disdain in my brain that I'm wearing an LHD when I'm right-handed. When I got to play with one (to show the salesman how the date window alternates between red and black) I had to turn it upside down to loosen the crown and set the time/date.

Why didn't Tudor make them in RHD as well? Do you suppose we'll be seeing an RHD with the same color-scheme at Baselworld 2020?

In my opinion, they'd have a home run if they went stainless steel, removed the HE valve to slim the case, and went with the LHD colors on a RHD model. Food for thought. I'd even be okay if they kept it titanium. I understand that's its unique feature.

#2 ·
I would guess at simply to make it different to the RHD models. If they produced the LHD in the standard black and blue it may not have been worth all the retooling to attract genuine LHD wearers. By adding a completely different colour option (and numbering them) they pick up LHD wearers AND customers who want that colour scheme and unique look but wear it on the left wrist. I wouldnt hold your breath for Baselworld 2020 if youre looking to buy a watch. Its a long wait which may ultimately be completely pointless as we've seen around here regarding the Tudor sub re issue. The Pelagos is Tudors tool dive watch so theyre unlikely to size it for current trends ie small. Could there be a colour change? Again unlikely as light reacts differently under water so there may be a legibility issue. Not saying I wouldnt like more colour options though. Blue/grey GMT style would be funky but a GMT bezel on a dive watch? I would like to think Tudor would add to their own designs of the Pelagos and North flag and produce a modern GMT next year rather than 500 Black bay variations. I love the Black Bay but it seems to cover about 200 watches now. It started out as a simple heritage dive watch and now covers modern divers with PVD and steel bezels, retro gilt dials, gold accents, chronos, and even prototype inspired PO1. I know its duff to mention Rolex in a Tudor thread but their stripped down simple sport range serves them very well although the 2 tone sea dweller was an odd move.

#3 ·
As a former owner of the LHD I think the colour scheme is a deliberate point of differention for the LHD. Alot of unique things about it. I would be very surprised if a regular version pelagos came out with the same colour way. I'm happy to be proved wrong though [emoji14]
Lovely watch, I often think about it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
One of the reasons I picked up my LHD, was the different lume and red lettering. I too, am right handed. And I find that the left side crown is a non-issue. With the 70 hour reserve, I have only pulled the crown out a handful of times in the 6 months Ive owned it. As to the height of the watch, I wouldn't mind it being shorter. But I don't see myself selling at a loss to pick one up in the event that they did so. The titanium watch has been quite nice, and I have adjusted nicely to the lack of weight in comparison to stainless.

#5 ·
Just to set it apart from the others. I got used to setting the time upside down so I don't have to use my left hand. I was initially concerned with the same things as you, however the LH crown is very nice, zero digging into my wrist. My Only serious complaint about the Pelagos is the clasp, while brilliant does stick out more and tends to take the most abuse. That being said, if they came out with a BB58 style slimmed down case, I would go for that one.

#6 ·
I have noticed that with my LHD's clasp that it is receiving almost no wear due to it being Titanium.

My other SS clasps have quite a lot of micro-scratches, but the Pelagos is relatively scratch-free. And I do not baby my watches at all.

#7 ·
I was of the understanding that the clasp was stainless and the bracelet and case were Ti. My clasp is fairly knackered after on about 4 months of 24/7 use. I too, am hard on watches, which is one of the reasons I went with the Pelagos, Either way, super happy with the watch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.