Why isn't the Yachtmaster I more popular?
Like Tree396Likes

Thread: Why isn't the Yachtmaster I more popular?

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Rolex noob here. I've been eyeing a Yachtmaster I for the longest time. Can someone tell me why it never appreciated as much as a 25 year old Submariner? Based on precious metals content alone, the Yachtmaster I seems like it should be worth more than a Sub. I know you can write a whole treatise on why Submariners are in high demand, but I'm just curious as to why the Yachtmaster never saw that level of popularity after it was discontinued?
    JCB43 likes this.

Not sure. I think she is wondering the same
    Last edited by DonLuis; April 5th, 2020 at 05:43.
    begud, Watch129025, stbob and 2 others like this.

Re: Why isn't the Yachtmaster I more popular?

Too heavy, too Blingy and too overpriced.
    JCB43 and por44 like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by olikatz View Post
    ... but I'm just curious as to why the Yachtmaster never saw that level of popularity after it was discontinued?
    Discontinued when?
    Is it time for another coffee?

It is not that the Yachtmaster isnít popular. Itís just that the Submariner is super duper popular and in very high demand. The Submariner is the quintessential dive watch, the dive watch where all other dive watches are compared to.

On the other hand, no company makes a sailing or yachting watch. I see the occasional YM in the marina. Itís for old men and rich ladies to wear their beater sports Rolex.

By the way, the YM isnít discontinued. You must be thinking that since the YM II is out. Just check out the Rolex page and you can see that the standard YM is still around in a different colour dial or different case material, mostly gold or platinum.

At the end of the day, I think itís a matter of personal preference. They are a Rolex after all. Buy it if you like it.
    olikatz, 5959HH and Sebast975 like this.

You or I have no idea just what the sales figures are for the Yachtmaster, or any other model for that matter, as Rolex doesn't release sales figures for specific models.

What you can surmise is that YM owners don't feel the need to congregate on internet watch forums in any large numbers, posting photos and bragging about their acquisitions and wondering about the rising and falling secondary market prices.

If Rolex is still offering them, you might conclude that sales are high enough to warrant continued production, whatever that number is.

My opinion only, the YM costs more and doesn't have a unidirectional bezel or as good of water resistance as a sub so for the price difference I'd rather have a sub.
    Sebast975 likes this.

Im all for YM 40. Especially in second hand market. I wouldn’t buy one new. It still has slim case and interesting dial color options compared to current sub (everyone’s uncles & cousins own one).
    JCB43 likes this.

The rhodium dial Yachtmaster is simply stunning. I actually think it does a better job than the Submariner in being the one watch to have (if you only want one watch). It bridges the dressy (with the polished centre links) and casual.

Personally I would have the numbers indented like the sub rather than raised. May be with the edges of the numbers chamfered to make it more dressy.
    vacashawn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
    You or I have no idea just what the sales figures are for the Yachtmaster, or any other model for that matter, as Rolex doesn't release sales figures for specific models.

What you can surmise is that YM owners don't feel the need to congregate on internet watch forums in any large numbers, posting photos and bragging about their acquisitions and wondering about the rising and falling secondary market prices.

If Rolex is still offering them, you might conclude that sales are high enough to warrant continued production, whatever that number is.
    Possibly...but I’m pretty sure we can surmise they’re not as popular as many of the other sports watches by how commonly seen they are in the AD’s case.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information