OMG! IT HAPPENED TO ME!!! MUDMASTERS!!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By cbkihong

Thread: OMG! IT HAPPENED TO ME!!! MUDMASTERS!!

OMG! IT HAPPENED TO ME!!! MUDMASTERS!!

I bought 2 of these for $200... ya way good too good to be true, but these fakes are getting better and better... what do you think? I know, tell me they are fake, buttons won't do anything but it still has a lot of features lol

I have 7 days to take them back, pretty sure they shop doesn't know either... ugh! I'll get my money back but still.

what's your opinion?

Name:  IMG_2951.JPG
Views: 3005
Size:  296.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2979.JPG
Views: 2355
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2980.JPG
Views: 2355
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2981.JPG
Views: 2344
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2985.JPG
Views: 2353
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2986.JPG
Views: 2358
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2987.JPG
Views: 2356
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2988.JPG
Views: 2348
Size:  177.1 KB
    Follow me on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/hsanmarx

Re: OMG! IT HAPPENED TO ME!!! MUDMASTERS!!

Well, they were in for as early as when the genuine ones hit the market. I was the first to report it here last October. I agree they are quite difficult to discern unless you compare the pics carefully. They seem to be especially prevalent in middle east (especially Dubai) and southeast Asia (e.g. Indonesia). Pics of these fake mudmasters are pretty common on Instagram.

However, these are definitely not the "best" fakes and IMO rather easy to tell. For an example of a truly close fake, see this. In this case, I would say, maybe you did not really compare them carefully enough.

My approach to stay (relatively) safe:

1. Get a high-res pic of the real watch from a trusted source (e.g. g-shock.jp) and compare with the one from merchant. If you are buying from a brick-n-mortar shop, refrain from impulse buying. Get a high-res pic of the real watch on your smartphone, and compare it with the watch on hand carefully.
    2. Do not do business with merchants who can only give you a blurry shot, or refuse to let you check the watch for brick-n-mortar stores before buying.
    3. When comparing, be extremely careful with the placement and font of text, color, texture.
    4. If you have the watch to play with, study the manual beforehand and check some harder-to-forge functionality at the shop (e.g. world time, or sensor functions if supported).
    5. Be mindful of the typical price range of the watch you are buying, and be alert if the watch is marked a price that is significantly lower than the typical price range.

In this case, the font and color of the text are clearly wrong. That applies to the font on the bezel, ring, and the LCD. And there is not yet a Mudmaster with a grey band (there will be one with a beige strap in a few months, though it will be actually a different model with a different face design). The backplate is clearly wrong but you do not usually get to see a backplate shot if you shop online, so if the backplate pic is available, that is a bonus. The texture of the watch face is too pronounced for the fake one as well - the real one is more subtle.

You shouldn't be able to get an authentic 3-sensor Mudmaster for significantly lower than USD$350 per piece. Sounds strange to me if the seller doesn't know they are fake, otherwise they should have been selling it at the authentic price range ...

Good luck with the refund!
    Last edited by cbkihong; February 7th, 2016 at 16:32.
    kcohS-G and Watch_Geekmaster like this.

Apparently the pic linked in my original thread was removed from IG. It was similar to this, but not a red band of course.

Browsing pics on IG, the following seller is particularly bad. In this post I believe they used an authentic pic, but on their IG account all the "mudmasters" sold are fake. Wrong price and bad fakes.

@elprasta_id - . G-SHOCK WATCH (Green Army) Best seller,... - Pikore

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The font on the LCD is a giveaway, but it will take trained eyes to spot. Being a victim of a fake, I know typing out an advice is actually easier. Often, in the excitement of getting a great discount or nice deal, we tend to get a bit carried away.

OK I got my 200 back plus taxes so around 216!!!! anways just be aware there are some fake muds out there.

thanks again!

It was a pawn shop locally and I had never really seen a mudmaster up close, I just thought great deal to make some money.

Quote Originally Posted by cbkihong View Post
    Well, they were in for as early as when the genuine ones hit the market. I was the first to report it here last October. I agree they are quite difficult to discern unless you compare the pics carefully. They seem to be especially prevalent in middle east (especially Dubai) and southeast Asia (e.g. Indonesia). Pics of these fake mudmasters are pretty common on Instagram.

However, these are definitely not the "best" fakes and IMO rather easy to tell. For an example of a truly close fake, see this. In this case, I would say, maybe you did not really compare them carefully enough.

My approach to stay (relatively) safe:

1. Get a high-res pic of the real watch from a trusted source (e.g. g-shock.jp) and compare with the one from merchant. If you are buying from a brick-n-mortar shop, refrain from impulse buying. Get a high-res pic of the real watch on your smartphone, and compare it with the watch on hand carefully.
    2. Do not do business with merchants who can only give you a blurry shot, or refuse to let you check the watch for brick-n-mortar stores before buying.
    3. When comparing, be extremely careful with the placement and font of text, color, texture.
    4. If you have the watch to play with, study the manual beforehand and check some harder-to-forge functionality at the shop (e.g. world time, or sensor functions if supported).
    5. Be mindful of the typical price range of the watch you are buying, and be alert if the watch is marked a price that is significantly lower than the typical price range.

In this case, the font and color of the text are clearly wrong. That applies to the font on the bezel, ring, and the LCD. And there is not yet a Mudmaster with a grey band (there will be one with a beige strap in a few months, though it will be actually a different model with a different face design). The backplate is clearly wrong but you do not usually get to see a backplate shot if you shop online, so if the backplate pic is available, that is a bonus. The texture of the watch face is too pronounced for the fake one as well - the real one is more subtle.

You shouldn't be able to get an authentic 3-sensor Mudmaster for significantly lower than USD$350 per piece. Sounds strange to me if the seller doesn't know they are fake, otherwise they should have been selling it at the authentic price range ...

Good luck with the refund!

NRA Life Member
    NJKCA Honorary Member
    ==================
    Breitling Chrono Avenger
    Breitling Steelfish
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Casio GPR-B1000 Rangeman
    Casio GWG1000-1A3 Mudmaster
    Sinn UX
    Victorinox Swiss Army Airboss Mach IV

So bad fake, just report him...but someone will buy this crap thing!

Didn't know there were even fakes considering most G-Shocks are reasonably priced. Thanks for the post OP.
    -Steinhart Ocean 1 (green) [arrived 03/31/16]

-Orient Mako "Pepsi" Edition

-Casio G Shock Mudman/Mudman 3031 Ed

Thread Information