Ambit2 GPS and navigation
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ambit2 GPS and navigation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ambit2 GPS and navigation

Hello All,

So if GPS_fix is set to 1s, battery last 16h.

Does anyone have answers to these 2 questions:
    1- GPS_fix=1s, while using navigation (or track back) mode, do we still have 16h of battery ?
    2- GPS_fix=5s, while using navigation (or track back) mode, does it force GPS_fix to 1s ? (hence reduce battery from 24h to 16h)

Thanks,
    Benoit.

Re: Ambit2 GPS and navigation

yes & yes

Quote Originally Posted by pjc3 View Post
    yes & yes
    Thanks pjc3 :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another related question, with my Ambit1 on 60s GPS fix it would revert to 1 sec fix only while on the Navigation screen. Thus the answer to the last question may be a qualified yes. The reason I am asking is I tried this with the Ambit2 and it seemed that it forced 1 sec fix on all screens if Nav was enabled in 60s mode and not just on the Nav screens. I tried this with the last firmware update and not the most recent one...pjc3, you have an answer for this too?

If I use the navigation map while following a route it stops updating gps (or gps icon at least dissapears) after maybe 20s then I have to press start stop button to get back the gps icon/fix. Same when using navigation during excersize. Is it a bug?

Skickat från min GT-N7000 med Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by elzteffe View Post
    If I use the navigation map while following a route it stops updating gps (or gps icon at least dissapears) after maybe 20s then I have to press start stop button to get back the gps icon/fix. Same when using navigation during excersize. Is it a bug?

Skickat från min GT-N7000 med Tapatalk 4
    You should try that better. The GPS icon (on top, like a satellite dish) is supposed to disappear, but the GPS is still active and gets updated (or at least, it should). Your position marker, for example, should still move. Otherwise, something would be really wrong, but it's more likely one of those things that make sense but don't get explained (and are a bit disconcerting)...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Zhang-Schmidt View Post
    You should try that better. The GPS icon (on top, like a satellite dish) is supposed to disappear, but the GPS is still active and gets updated (or at least, it should). Your position marker, for example, should still move. Otherwise, something would be really wrong, but it's more likely one of those things that make sense but don't get explained (and are a bit disconcerting)...
    Hi, thanks for your answer. The icon dissapears after 10 seconds and it seems like the position marker is updated by th compass but not by the gps. That is, not moving a long the line anymore when in map view. If this was supposed to be due to power save on screen update it might mske sense when navigating only, but the screen is still updated by the compass, that is, it can rotate so the powersave would be zero. In case the gps is actually turned off after 10 seconds in navigation map mode it might save power. When I press lap button it starts update again. Now, if I start running excercise mode which forces the gps to update every 1 second it still turns off gps icon and stops updating the position on the route, still it totates if change in direction. So what could the reason be to continue to update the map screen from compass, stop the update from gps, when I in fact knoe it gets position dats every second since in running mode. If someone would try and see if they get same result I would be happy. It puzzles me since seem unlogical. Also the map screen with a continuos update would be good to have. I was trying to follow a route in boat in fog this morning. Thanks in advance fore more input or verification on this behaviour. Sorry for long post:)

Your position arrow is not suppose to move, but the track moves underneat it keeping you always on focus on middle. The navigation changes to use compass if you don't move anymore, since it cannot know GPS direction anymore.

I'm not sure, but the icon might drop to allow more screen estate for the track?

Have you tried running the route once the icon dissappears, if navigation still works?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi, the track moves underneath for the first 10 seconds. After that it stops updating the track position on map from GPS but continues update from compass. Same result even when in exercise mode when I have verified that the GPS updates its fix every 1 second. When I use the "direction/distance to next waypoint" screen it works and never stops updating. It is just that when I would like to follow a route on map it would be nice if it updated the existing GPS data to the map view for more then 10 seconds. The reason this is an issue to me is that I'd like to follow a route (not necessarily with waypoints) by looking at the position markers relation to the route on map. Without having to push the lap button to regain the map update from GPS every 10 seconds. No one else seen this problem? Thanks for your answers.

I just tried a trackback from logbook. The GPS icon disappears but the GPS is still active. While walking (~5km/hr) the track moves beneath the marker and the map doesn't orientate when the Ambit2 is rotated. As soon as I stop the compass kicks in but when I start walking again the screen orientation locks (GPS mode) and the track moves below the marker. All the while the GPS icon is not visible. My Ambit behaves as I would expect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information