WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ambit2 vs Ambit GPS smoothing

8K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  bruceames 
#1 ·
Certainly there is a new algorythm:

Same settings on both. Stopped for about 1 min, kept both running.

Map Tree Land lot Plant Soil

See less See more
#39 · (Edited)
It just occurred to me that the way Suunto now require you to choose GPS accuracy based on qualitative descriptions (Best, Good, OK) means that the algorithm which varies the update time into the log is not contradicting the previous descriptions of 1sec and 60sec recording.

Generally I am pleased with the smoother tracking of the Ambit2 even if it does reduce fidelity in tight switchbacks.
Track is smoother with fewer points of course. Whether it's more accurate depends on the extent of curvature on the route and the accuracy of the GPS reception. For the latter, since reception is never going to be the best when worn on the wrist, it's probably the lesser of two evils (especially given that tight switchbacks are not the norm).

The algorithm can be improved. Simply vary update time based primarily on the rate one is changing direction (points would be plotted no more than 15 seconds apart in the straights as long as one is moving), rather than primarily the speed one is moving (however no points would be plotted during stops, as is now). It would be a more complicated algorithm of course, but it would produce a beautiful track on both straights and tight curves. I believe such an algorithm is not so far down the road, but probably not with this watch, maybe the next.

However for devices like handhelds with large and strong antennas (like the Garmin 62 series or others with quad helix antennas) or devices which can be placed in optimal positions (like the Trackpod or other recording pods which can be mounted with a clear position of the sky), the recording quality is so good that constant one second intervals really don't compromise the smoothness of the track.

#41 ·
The "smoothing" is done simply by recording fewer trackpoints. The only advantage I see is that it makes the track look less wobbly in the straights (although it has less positive effect if you have excellent GPS reception already), and that it doesn't record new points when you are not moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.