Suunto Traverse - Page 33
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: Suunto Traverse

Page 33 of 86 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 83 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 851
  1. #321
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    109

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Quote Originally Posted by karokajoka View Post
    ... and can post the results from that one too.
    Would be execellet - and thanks for posting the links right now

    You mention average pace - what about for instant pace? I'd say the Traverse is more jumpy. Not that it seems like a lot, but the Ambit seems far more stable. This could be due to FusedSpeed.

    Edit: I just looked at your actvity again. It seems Ambit tracked your run quite better, or is it just me?
    Last edited by Teriemer; October 11th, 2015 at 22:15.
    -------------------
    Teriemer
    Space
    My devices
    For running..: Polar V800 w/Stryd or
    FR 645m w/Stryd
    For biking.....: Edge 1030 w/Assioma Duo
    or Stages on the trail
    Previous units: All from Garmin, Polar and Suunto

  2. #322
    Member DirkLerxstPratt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    55

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriemer View Post
    Would be execellet - and thanks for posting the links right now

    You mention average pace - what about for instant pace? I'd say the Traverse is more jumpy. Not that it seems like a lot, but the Ambit seems far more stable. This could be due to FusedSpeed.

    Edit: I just looked at your actvity again. It seems Ambit tracked your run quite better, or is it just me?
    Ambit2 looks much more on track. Need more data, especially under trees.

    Thanks for posting those initial tracks, karokajoka.

  3. #323
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    27

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Hmm. The Traverse track doesn't look much better than the two Fenix 3's I returned. Hopefully that will change.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #324
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    33

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Today's five mile run.

    Couple of points:

    - I started both watches at the same time. Was much better about getting them started and stopped at the same time.
    - The Traverse used about 10% of its battery on the run. The Ambit2 used around 8%. The total time for the run was 55 minutes.
    - I didn't stop at any time on this run, which in retrospect was probably a bad thing. Would have been nice to see it catch the changes in speed.
    - The runs both looked exactly the same, except for a weird spike early in the run that the Traverse picked up. I didn't go from my 5.5 mph pace up to 7 when it recorded it. Don't know what was up with that.
    - The Traverse found the GPS INSANELY fast. Maybe because this run was near where I ran yesterday. (The Greenway trail is about 5 miles away from the park where I ran on Saturday).

    Anyway, here are the links. Have fun.

    Traverse: ~http://www.movescount.com/moves/move79668625

    Ambit2:
    http://www.movescount.com/moves/move79668764

    My opinion is the Traverse does a fantastic job at what it was designed to do. I'm not in a position to say if it could replace the Ambit2 for a full on "athlete" because I don't have a heart rate belt. But I'm satisfied that it's accurate and consistent.

    EDIT: The trail I ran on today is under significant tree cover. The first mile or so is in the woods, with just directly above me visible to the sky. Since it's an up and back trail, my first mile and my last mile are what you'd be interested in if you're going to use it for trail movement.
    Last edited by karokajoka; October 12th, 2015 at 01:31.
    bruceames and Quotron like this.

  6. #325
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,093

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Short review from our local supplier. (edit: beware, this is fluff from a business with vested interest).
    Last edited by pjc3; October 12th, 2015 at 02:39.

  7. #326
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    81

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    This is a local ride I've been doing with my Blackmouth Cur dog building up her endurance. If you look at the lines they are insanely precise with how I rode. I'm using the A3 Peak cycling app set to best gps. It gets every swerve and Lane change for cars.

    Btw it's 1.3 miles and we average 9_10 mph.

    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1444607721054.png
Views: 1325
Size:  207.8 KB

    Dave

  8. #327
    Member DirkLerxstPratt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    55

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Quote Originally Posted by karokajoka View Post
    Today's five mile run.

    EDIT: The trail I ran on today is under significant tree cover. The first mile or so is in the woods, with just directly above me visible to the sky. Since it's an up and back trail, my first mile and my last mile are what you'd be interested in if you're going to use it for trail movement.
    That also seems to be the spot of your innacuracy. Simply a data point, not a condemnation.

    Quote Originally Posted by pjc3 View Post
    Short review from our local supplier.
    Need tracks, not fluff from someone who has a financial interest in selling these. I look forward to someone putting a hurting on this watch. Might have to be me.

  9. #328
    Member bruceames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Quote Originally Posted by karokajoka View Post
    Today's five mile run.

    Couple of points:

    - I started both watches at the same time. Was much better about getting them started and stopped at the same time.
    - The Traverse used about 10% of its battery on the run. The Ambit2 used around 8%. The total time for the run was 55 minutes.
    - I didn't stop at any time on this run, which in retrospect was probably a bad thing. Would have been nice to see it catch the changes in speed.
    - The runs both looked exactly the same, except for a weird spike early in the run that the Traverse picked up. I didn't go from my 5.5 mph pace up to 7 when it recorded it. Don't know what was up with that.
    - The Traverse found the GPS INSANELY fast. Maybe because this run was near where I ran yesterday. (The Greenway trail is about 5 miles away from the park where I ran on Saturday).

    Anyway, here are the links. Have fun.

    Traverse: ~http://www.movescount.com/moves/move79668625

    Ambit2:
    http://www.movescount.com/moves/move79668764

    My opinion is the Traverse does a fantastic job at what it was designed to do. I'm not in a position to say if it could replace the Ambit2 for a full on "athlete" because I don't have a heart rate belt. But I'm satisfied that it's accurate and consistent.

    EDIT: The trail I ran on today is under significant tree cover. The first mile or so is in the woods, with just directly above me visible to the sky. Since it's an up and back trail, my first mile and my last mile are what you'd be interested in if you're going to use it for trail movement.
    Do you have the Traverse set on 1 second GPS fix? I noticed that the Traverse track has trackpoints alternating between 4 seconds and 8 seconds apart, while the Ambit2 has them every 4 seconds.

  10. #329
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    203

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    While i know it is kind of early, those results for the Traverse are less than impressive (track accuracy, not your performance. ;)). I had been waiting on this watch, as it looked right up my alley; i think i ahve to go back to looking at the Ambit 3 now. *sigh*

  11. #330
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    109

    Re: Suunto Traverse

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    While i know it is kind of early, those results for the Traverse are less than impressive (track accuracy, not your performance. ;)). I had been waiting on this watch, as it looked right up my alley; i think i ahve to go back to looking at the Ambit 3 now. *sigh*
    Thanks to Karokajoka for postings his links, so that all of us can have fun analyzing them

    I agree with you Divine_Madcat - while the Traverse seems to do an acceptable job on pacing and tracking for a running activity, I also see the Ambit (I just got me the A3Peak Nepal version) does a better job in both aspects. It's not that it's a big difference, but it's noticeable. For the pacing, I guess FusedSpeed is what makes the difference and I can add to that, that my A3P (same GPS chipset as Traverse) locks on GPS likewise instantly. It's always within 0-3 seconds and typically instantly.

    Now it's gonna be interesting to see the what difference it makes, once Traverse gets GLONASS activated. From various Garmin threads, it's clear that not all people experience better GPS accuracy with GLONASS. Personally for my 920XT, I don't see any change in distance accuracy. However - with GLONASS ON - GPS instant pace is slightly more consistent in the forest. Still - my A3Peak with fusedspeed and SirfStar V GPS chipset - is significantly better on instant pace than the 920XT. Tracking is also better on the A3Peak, which is pure GPS at the moment. Note this comment is not 920XT vs. A3Peak, but it's more like a comparison on A3Peak vs. 920 with GLONASS ON (920 uses MediaTek 3333 GPS chipset, so does Fenix3 and that chipset has been blamed a lot in Garmins forums).

    So to sum it up; since instant pace is extremly important to me (I'm also a runner, not a hiker), I'm gonna stick with the Ambit series. I wonder if A3-series will get GLONASS as well (they share the same GPS chipset, SirfStar V)? Or maybe that's the buying argument for the Ambit4 once that's revealed
    Last edited by Teriemer; October 12th, 2015 at 09:12. Reason: Typo
    -------------------
    Teriemer
    Space
    My devices
    For running..: Polar V800 w/Stryd or
    FR 645m w/Stryd
    For biking.....: Edge 1030 w/Assioma Duo
    or Stages on the trail
    Previous units: All from Garmin, Polar and Suunto

Page 33 of 86 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 83 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. G-9300-1 and the presidential traverse
      By steve6387 in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: September 30th, 2014, 02:32
    2. Watch stores in Traverse City MI
      By skubish in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 21st, 2013, 14:41
    3. FS: Origo Traverse Multi Sensor
      By Julio13 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: January 30th, 2010, 01:12
    4. FS Origo Traverse Peak Black
      By calibro9 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: September 8th, 2009, 17:33
    5. Suunto Vector vs Origo Traverse Peak
      By gsdavis in forum Suunto
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: August 22nd, 2009, 05:18

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •