Suunto Traverse - Page 34
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: Suunto Traverse

Page 34 of 86 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 84 ... LastLast

Re: Suunto Traverse

db messed up; duplicate
    Last edited by Gerald Zhang-Schmidt; October 12th, 2015 at 09:38. Reason: duplicate

Okay, triplicate...
    Last edited by Gerald Zhang-Schmidt; October 12th, 2015 at 09:38. Reason: duplicate

Alright, let's throw those out there (I will have a better presentation and discussion in my review, but let's see what you guys make of it):

Open fields, short run...
    Traverse: geraldz's 0:50 h Running Move
    Ambit3 Peak: geraldz's 0:50 h Running Move

Longish run, quite many sections under foliage:
    Traverse: geraldz's 2:34 h Running Move
    Ambit3 Peak: geraldz's 2:34 h Running Move

I'm thinking that one of the biggest problems we're having here is judging the Traverse not by what it does and is for, but in comparison to the Ambits. Two very different beasts, actually ;)

(Also, I remember what the A3 was like at its very early stages...)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Gerald for your links

This is my thoughts; I'd say I'm confirmed on my first take. The Traverse does a good job in pacing and one can actually use this watch for running. I think it's great Suunto did this, cause it mean they did not cut off hikers who also like to go for a run here and there. The Traverse will do it. On the other hand; the Ambit does a better job on smoothing the pace with FusedSpeed. It's a bit difficult to see on your long run, but I can difenitely see it.

On your open field run, both watches perform great. However it could be interesting to see how the Traverse would capture a pace change (without FusedSpeed) like when doing an interval. Once again - it's gonna be interesting to see what GLONASS will bring?

You're right about comparing those two watches. Clearly they are made and advertised as two different watches. One has to remember that. But as I said, it's a cool move from Suunto that they did not cut-off hikers who also happen to run, by letting the Traverse do a fine job i doing so. Clearky the Ambit (also with the support of footpods etc.) are the more trainers watch.

PS - once again it seems the Ambit has the edge in tracking.
    Last edited by Teriemer; October 12th, 2015 at 10:01.
    -------------------
    Teriemer
    Space
    My devices
    For running..: Polar V800 w/Stryd or
    FR 645m w/Stryd
    For biking.....: Edge 1030 w/Assioma Duo
    or Stages on the trail
    Previous units: All from Garmin, Polar and Suunto

Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Do you have the Traverse set on 1 second GPS fix? I noticed that the Traverse track has trackpoints alternating between 4 seconds and 8 seconds apart, while the Ambit2 has them every 4 seconds.
    Yes, it was set to a 1 second fix time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriemer View Post
    You're right about comparing those two watches. Clearly they are made and advertised as two different watches. One has to remember that. But as I said, it's a cool move from Suunto that they did not cut-off hikers who also happen to run, by letting the Traverse do a fine job i doing so. Clearky the Ambit (also with the support of footpods etc.) are the more trainers watch.
    Thats the thing though - as a hiker/outdoorsman first, i am even more put off by the wavy tracks. City trainers/etc at least can fall back (to a degree) to street maps when their path gets wavy. But as a hiker, that same kind of wavy is pretty unfixable; it will just look like i was going all over the place. ++

Now, i do agree software can do alot, but i am also slightly worried seeing that this is the second bezel antenna watch to be showing accuracy problems..

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Zhang-Schmidt View Post
    Alright, let's throw those out there (I will have a better presentation and discussion in my review, but let's see what you guys make of it):

I'm thinking that one of the biggest problems we're having here is judging the Traverse not by what it does and is for, but in comparison to the Ambits. Two very different beasts
    Thanks to you and others for posting your data. My main interest in a GPS watch is the tracking accuracy. I hope that Suunto is providing the best accuracy they can regardless of the intended use of a watch. I'll make my decision based on the performance and not the company's stated intended use.

At the beginning/end of the track it seems the Ambit track is more accurate. The Traverse is off into buildings. Around 22.30 km there's also a difference between the two.

At 21.50 km on the Ambit track there is a noticeable difference between the tracks and a 0.5 km difference in distance.

At 4.1 km I also like the Ambit track better.

I know this is just one example, and many more samples are needed to make any conclusion. I have one arriving tomorrow, so I'll see how well it suits my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    ...but i am also slightly worried seeing that this is the second bezel antenna watch to be showing accuracy problems..
    You may have a point here?! But based on the few shared activities, the Traverse seems signifcantly better than the other one (I guess this would be Fenix3). But yes - at current state - the good old Ambit has the edge in tracking, I definitly agree. Could it be the antenna or is software? I don't know - only time will tell...
    Last edited by Teriemer; October 12th, 2015 at 15:21.
    -------------------
    Teriemer
    Space
    My devices
    For running..: Polar V800 w/Stryd or
    FR 645m w/Stryd
    For biking.....: Edge 1030 w/Assioma Duo
    or Stages on the trail
    Previous units: All from Garmin, Polar and Suunto

Well, one of the next things I'll want to check is simply putting both watches on the same arm (but some distance apart... apparently, there's some issue otherwise). Some of the difference in track simply comes from having one device on the left wrist, the other on the right. (I saw that same issue having gone out with two Ambits (on left and right wrist) and a GPS Track Pod (on my shoulder) before ;)

Ok, so I read through the issues with the spring bars on the Traverse. Does this mean a standard spring bar tool won't work at all?

Do you all recommend I take the Traverse to a jeweler to remove the bars if I don't want to risk breaking anything?

Page 34 of 86 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 84 ... LastLast

Thread Information