Lightweight USB chargers for Ambit
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By pjc3
  • 1 Post By pjc3

Thread: Lightweight USB chargers for Ambit

Lightweight USB chargers for Ambit

Battery life is always going to be a problem with wrist top GPS units. The Ambit has one of the best rated batteries and with careful use, it could be used for an extended multi day trip into the mountains. I spent 6 days in the Southern Alps of NZ in May 2012 and had temperatures rarely above 0°C. Due to good weather and hence easy navigation, I left the mountains with 57% battery remaining. I recorded 46.5Hrs of ABC data but no HR or GPS tracks. The only GPS use was to confirm a few waypoints etc. It would have been nice to GPS log the route but I was concerned about battery depletion.
    I decided I needed a back up charging device and my requirements was that it was to be:

1. small,
    2. lightweight
    3. relatively inexpensive.

The two (of many) contenders I chose:

1. Standard two AA emergency iPhone charger solution. Unit cost $3.50, Battery cost (Energizer Ultimate Lithium) $10. Unit weight inc. batteries 51g. Total weight 172g
    2. Lightweight solar charge 1000mAh Li battery solution. Unit cost $10. Unit weight 35g. Total weight 158g

To compare weight and battery life, my existing GPS device (which the Ambit will replace if in field charging solution is reliable) is a Garmin eTrex which weighs in at 152g with Ultimate Li batteries and has a specified battery life of 22Hrs (not field tested). I usually carry a spare pair of batteries because it does go through them, thus add another 29g. Total weight 181g.

Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0891.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  51.9 KB

To compare two potential devices in the field I simulated a typical 7 day walk in the NZ mountains. If I was to log my routes using the GPS, I would need to use the 60 sec GPS update and 10 sec ABC logging to maximise memory capacity. BUT I will assume I need to use navigation mode heavily, perhaps 4-5 hours per day e.g. navigating a ridge in poor weather, descending a valley and requiring to identify correct side branch etc. I will assume that in difficult GPS acquisition terrain, using in watch navigation, I will deplete the battery every two days. In all reality I would keep the Ambit topped up by charging it each night.

Method:
    I substituted the iPhone as the recipient of the joules so I didn't have to hammer the Ambit for no good reason. I did a rough "calibration" test for the iPhone vs Ambit: Using new AA alkaline batteries I did a recharge of Ambit from 30% -> 100% using the emergency charger. I then measured the battery remaining by using a universal digital battery tester both immediately after charging then after a 12 Hr "resting" period (39% remaining initially, on resting 64%) and I cross-referenced the battery tester by slipping the batteries into my iMac's Track Pad and asking what my iMac thought was left (initially 62%, resting 85%). Using two new AA batteries, I then did a charge calibration using the iPhone starting at 30% iPhone battery capacity and tested the AA batteries at 15 then 5 minute intervals until they reached an approximately similar used capacity (34% initially, 56% after resting). Cross referenced with iMac (initially 54%, resting 79%). This correlated to 55% iPhone battery level or a 25% iPhone battery charge.
    Now, there are problems with this method I know, mainly because iPhones will draw up to 1000mA, if available, whereas the Ambit is unknown but is probably closer to 500mA as per USB specifications. This difference in current draw changes the "capacity" of alkaline batteries - the slower the current draw the more energy you can extract. However Li have far less problem with this (and hence Energizer's outrageous claim the Li Ultimates will last 9 times longer for the same rated battery )

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-11-16 at 5.37.39 AM.png
Views: 1451
Size:  20.3 KB
    I am assuming a 25% iPhone charge can be representative of an Ambit 70% charge for the purposes of this review. Also because I am comparing two different devices for their charging ability, the recipient of the charges is not necessarily critical to the outcome. This test would probably favour the solar rechargeable solution as the Energizers should last longer with a low current draw device i.e. the Ambit.

Next I thought about environmental conditions in the field. Typically the charger will be used in the evening in cold damp conditions. Huts or tent depending on trip.

Name:  Hut.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  Tent 2.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  190.0 KB

Night time temperatures are often well below 0°C and daytime temperatures not much better.

Name:  Temp.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  22.8 KB

Direct sunlight hours will vary from zero (raining/snowing all day)………

Name:  Poor conditions.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  17.2 KB

to brilliant clear skies where 8 hrs of direct solar gain could be achieved…….

Name:  Fine.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  110.3 KB

I will test two scenarios:

1. poor weather (and hence need Navigation mode on the Ambit often) and;
    2. good weather.

The Emergency Charger would be brought out each evening, batteries inserted and charge the Ambit then remove batteries and pack away. The Solar Charger would be clipped on the pack during the day if terrain/vegetation allowed me to safely do so. Otherwise it would be taken out at breaks and hopefully not forgotten on the side of the track. This is a potential drawback of the solar solution. "Rest days" on the track (if any), tend to be poor weather days so unlikely to get much solar gain then either. Of course Ambit wouldn't be using much battery on the rest days either.

Test 1 Emergency Charger with 2 x Energizer Ultimate Li AA

Conditions:

• New batteries at start
    • Left batteries in fridge at 3°C each night
    • Stored in cool place during day
    • 25% iPhone charge in fridge in evening.

Performance:
    Over four evenings the Li AA achieved a 25% iPhone charge successfully. On the fifth evening the iPhone would not accept the charger (due to low current output). I used ambit for the final drain but only achieved an increase from 75% to 80% before the Ambit stopped charging as well.

Summary:

• Four effective 70% charges of the Ambit with one pair of AA batteries.
    • Likely duration of Ambit use in the field: at least 7 Days.
    • Add another 29g of battery and you have significant charging capacity for total of 80g.

Test 2 Solar Rechargeable 1000mAh Li Battery, "forest/poor weather"

Conditions:

• Initially charged battery to full capacity via USB
    • Left battery in fridge at 3°C each night
    • Exposed solar panel to direct sun between 7am and 9am (hanging vertically on fence facing east) then in semi-shaded area for the rest of the day.
    • Attempted a 25% iPhone charge in fridge in evening.

Performance:
    Straight away it was evident the 1000mAh internal battery had little storage capacity. It only achieved a 10% iPhone top up even after a full USB charge on the iMac. I did this USB recharge 3 times just to confirm it wasn't an erroneous result. So back to the methodology which will now not be able to be completed. I did a full USB charge and measured the Ambit recharge ability. Starting from 38% the Ambit increased to 84% before it ceased to charge further. So from this test a 45% ambit charge is approx. a 10% iPhone charge which is somewhat different to my original assumptions.
    After the initial discharge, the unit did not effectively recharge at all with the above exposure. After the day solar charging in semi shade, it managed to increase the iPhone from 29% to 30%.
    Thus I had to convert to the "good weather scenario" having given up on the poor weather/forest scenario.

Test 3 Solar Rechargeable 1000mAh Li Battery, "good weather"

Conditions:

• Exposed solar panel to direct sun between 7am and 12MD (lying tilted to face sun directly) then in semi shade for the rest of the day
    • Ambit charge in the evening

Performance:
    Even after a prolonged recharge in full sun (23° South latitude mid summer!) it only managed to charge the ambit from 43% to 56%. This unit also specifically says it is not in any way water-resistant so if there was any chance of precipitin it would not be coming out to charge>

Summary

Based on my uncontrolled testing I believe the AA battery solution would be a reliable means to recharge the Ambit in the field. The solar charging device has severe limitations which would make it unreliable on a field trip. It may perform in optimal conditions and outlast the battery solution but in areas where I venture I would not rely upon it.

Re: Lightweight USB chargers for Ambit

Outstanding post!!!
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

I agree Jeff what a fantastic post pjc3.......makes me want to be in your shoes right there!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by martowl View Post
    I agree Jeff what a fantastic post pjc3.......makes me want to be in your shoes right there!
    Not quite the Rockies (or the Alps ) but someone has to live in the antipodes!
    Jeff_C likes this.

Fantastic post.
    Will it be safe to use solar charger with this specs for charging the Ambit:
    output voltage 5.5V
    output power 350-800 mA

Both charging devices were rated at 5V. Both were tested before use and did indeed output spot on 5V. USB is rated at 5V. I personally wouldn't use an over specced charger as I have no idea what the tolerance of the Ambit circuitry is. 10% may cause havoc. Perhaps others have tried other chargers.

Exactly my toughts, thx.

Excellent write up, pjc3. For next season I'll be looking for a lighter weight USB charger. The one I have now is a 122 ounce brick!

For continuous GPS trackpoint recording on multi-day hikes, I would consider taking along a Trackpod for each day (no more than 3-4 though for me). Cost is the only real constraint, but you can buy 3-4 at the same price as an Ambit2. They only weigh about 34 grams and will easily record a full day's hike. The weight of the pods would be more than offset by not needing to bring along as many extra batteries or charging devices. For example, the Garmin 62sc uses 2 AA batteries, weighing at 60 grams, and they need to be replaced after about 15 hours (on 1 sec fixes). Each pod could be labeled for which day it is to be used, and the amazingly accurate single day tracks can later be merged in Garmin Basecamp or another program. Meanwhile the Ambit2 can be used at 60 sec fixes with HR, in order to record performance data and have a continuous move logged in MC.

try MOMAX
    MOMAX

I used it for 2 years and it was great.
    It's waterproof and shock proof so you can have it with you everywhere. I use it to charge both Ambit and Gopro camera.
    The children of humanity are each others limbs
    That shares an origin in their creator
    When one limb passes its days in pain
    The other limbs can not remain easy
    You who feel no pain at the suffering of others
    It is not fitting you be called human

The Great Persian Poet, Hafez

Thread Information