Suunto All Black Core (Military) Review and Pics..(Black Attack)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mystro

Thread: Suunto All Black Core (Military) Review and Pics..(Black Attack)

Suunto All Black Core (Military) Review and Pics..(Black Attack)

Well the 2X Black Core arrived last night and I spent hours with it learning about it and running it through a lot of test. My first impressions are great. This watch was advertised as a Military Core but from my understanding dealers are calling ALL BLACK CORES military? Who knows?
    The negative display is good. I bumped up the contrast , just cause I could. It was fine from the factory but why leave well enough alone. I have other ABC Highgear watches (Altiforce with negative display and Altis SS with positive display). I am going to compare the ALL BLACK CORE to the other two. I think this is the most accurate way to see what the Core can do.

I first looked the Core over for any manufacturing defects. The bezel turns smooth and isn't lose nor is it tight. I would say the Bezel was perfect. All of the markers aligned up perfectly with the 12 o'clock face. The bezel clicks around with the sound of one of my fly fishing reels and turns both ways. Very nice!
    The strap has a black buckle. Suunto calls this the all ALL BLACK CORE and I am happy to see it has a black buckle. My impressions of the watch are very cool looking and stealth. Its a looker.
    The buttons are firm to push and I like the no-slip checkering engraved in them. The Negative display is sharp, perhaps sharper than the Altiforce (see pic).
    The Altiforce has more of a blue cast to the display. The negative (black) display does come with cost. The pure and simple fact is: Any negative display will never be as readable as a positive display but thats the price you pay for looking cool. So be warned.

Speaking of light. The Cores light: not too bright and not too dark. I also like that the light has its own button and extends its 5 second time if any other buttons are pushed after you activate the light. This is especially good when using the compass or navigating the watch at night in the woods. It just makes sense to have the light work this way. I also like the fact that the light blinks when the alarm goes off. A Lot of times in noisy situations (like in a club) you cant hear the alarm but can see the light flash. Brilliant!
    The alarm is loud and has a quality multi chime sound to it. I am disappointed there isn't a hourly chime.
    I tested the barometer with both Altiforce and Altis and all three are dead balls on with the reported barometric pressure. This was nice suprise to find that 3 wrist computers are calibrated that accurately.
    The weather trend indicator was correct by showing the downward direction of both parts of the arrow. It was clear last night and started to rain early this morning.
    I also tested the altimeter with the other 2 watches and my GPS and it too was dead balls on!!!
    I especially like the way the Altimeter and Barometer switch to the appropriate profile in the AUTO mode. I tested to see how much movement would switch the barometer profile to the altimeter profile. I let the watch sit and go into the barometer profile. When it did, it made a nice multi chime sound. I then took the Core down one flight of stairs in my house. It didn't switch. So I started to go down my basement stairs and half way down I heard the chime indicating the profile switched back to altimeter. I tested it again and it switched the same spot. Very accurate altimeter!!
    I then calibrated the compass and tested it with the other two watches. All watches were calibrated the same time. I calibrate my ABC watches by going out side on my deck railing and use a medium Gatorade bottle with the wide mouth. I sit the watch on top of the bottle with the cap on and spin the entire bottle when making the 3 rotations. It keeps the watch perfectly level and is easy to turn slowly.
    Once again all three watches were dead balls on!
    At this point I am more than a little impressed.
    I tested the bearing tracking feature. It worked great and I am excited to try this on Saturday when I go into the woods. I can see this feature is priceless to hunters that are tracking downed game. I can speak from experience that it is very easy to lose your direction while following downed game at night in the woods.
    This feature can point the way back to the car.
    Over all I found the watch easy to navigate. Much like my Hi-def receiver with on screen display. You do have to push a few more buttons to get around on the watch but I can see why Suunto uses this format. Its pretty strait forward. My last test so far was to drop the watch in a glass of water for 15 min to make sure it is water tight. It passed. I do this with all my new watches. I want to find out now and not in the field if it goes down.
    Software version is 1.0.3. Serial # starts with 841....etc
    The watch is very comfortable to wear and is thinner than my 2 Highgear watches.
    I am very impressed so far. I will keep adding to this review as I find more features to talk about.
    Tonight I took the Core out in the woods bowhunting. I had a nice suprise to find the 2 markers on the top of the bezel glows very well.(see pic). I also tried the compass bearing lock. It performed flawlessly. I locked it on where the main trail starts. I then walked back into the woods to my treestand. It was dark when I got down out of my tree and the bearing lock pointed me right back to where I aimed it at. I also started a Altitude Log. I checked it out and love the real-time motion graph of my journey. (Very Cool!)

Water Test. (Got to be hard CORE to drink this stuff.)

Luminescent Bezel marker

Size of the Core is very large but weighs less than one or two links of the Rolex's bracelet.
    The Core feels smaller on the wrist than it looks.
    Last edited by Mystro; November 20th, 2009 at 18:01.

Re: Suunto All Black Core (Military) Review and Pics..(Black Attack)

Great review. I just purchased my first Core. Wondering where you got the watch band with the deployment?

Had to buy extra Suunto Orange strap with black lugs for $50.00. I then used the lugs and paired them up with a Modena strap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

UPDATE: after a few years and a lot of different Suunto models, I am "Back in Black"

Core All Black lands...The "BLACK ATTACK"..(attacks again) pic/review

Well after my buddy bought my Aluminum Core. I thought a bit on which Core I was going to replace it with. I found a killer deal on a Core all black (military) and really wanted another one.
    This was my first Core years ago when Suunto was having some teething issues. After A LOT of Core models, I guess you could say I went full circle and back to my first Core. aka. First Suunto love.

There is something about the color combo of this watch that has always spoke to me. Its just dark, tough and stealthy looking. Its also very versatile with different straps and doesn't have a bad look. It looks great with my camo hunting gear as well as a every day watch.

Software is 1.1.0 Serial #029*****. That means it was built the week of July 22 in 2010. I received the watch August 18th. That's 3 weeks from production to my wrist.
    I opened the Core's battery hatch to see that Suunto is now using Maxell batteries.
    Factory contrast was set at 4. I bumped it up to 6 with little to no ghosting.

I put the new Core through all my tests and it passed without issue. Bezel turn was perfect and water test show that in depth profile the AB Core measured 1' of water at 12" of submersion. I forgot how nice the textured buttons are under water. I really prefer the textured buttons on the AB Core over the smooth ones, especially wearing gloves or when my fingers are cold and wet.
    I bought the $50.00 orange strap just for the black lugs. This IMO is where the All Black Core shines. It looks great on black lugs and a rubber dive strap. (I love this look)

When its hot out I prefer the more breathable light black elastomer strap but I like the black buckle that came on the all black elastomer strap. So after thinking about it and talking to another forum member, I figured out a way to remove the buckles from any factory Core strap. (See Reference section above for my instructions).

This is my dream Core/Strap combo for function and form. Extremely comfortable, light weight, tough, and stealthy.
    Last edited by Mystro; August 21st, 2010 at 16:23.
    seba and boeing767 like this.

Question Re: Suunto All Black Core (Military) Review and Pics..(Black Attack)

Hey pal, that must be the best review and those pics !!! wonderful!!!

i only have some questions for you if you please

what do you think abouf the durability , the water proof will i be able to use buttons underwater without fear , and what about the battery lenth how often you replace???

thanks in advanse!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bezgeo85 View Post
    the water proof will i be able to use buttons underwater without fear
    From the Suunto website:

Name:  Suunto Core Water resistance.gif
Views: 37361
Size:  3.3 KB

So by all accounts, press away!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay View Post
    From the Suunto website:

Name:  Suunto Core Water resistance.gif
Views: 37361
Size:  3.3 KB

So by all accounts, press away!!
    Hey thanks for replying!!! i find core to be the best i have only some issues for energy and material quality- durability of the watch

Great watch! Tell me, please, what model it is more convenient strap?

or

Just superficially more like the look of the hand in the first version.

Thread Information