Suunto G6 Pro review

Thread: Suunto G6 Pro review

Suunto G6 Pro review

I have owned my G6 Pro for over a year now. I purchase the watch last spring off of Ebay for $400. My first impressions of the watch. This was my first digital watch in a long time. This took me a little time to get use too. Also this watch is very light and weight, about 55 grams. I have gotten a few nice comments from people and it's a good looking watch. I am mostly wearing this watch golfing.

Buttons are large. Displays are easy to read. The backlight is adequate. The alarm is loud and will go for 30 seconds before shutting itself off. There is also a stopwatch and calander. All of the basic features are there.

When I first got the watch I used it to see my swing speed. Typical between 87 and 93 miles for my irons and around 100mph for the driver.
    Other unit measured are Tempo(total time of swing), rhythm(amount of time it takes to complete the down swing), swing length and speed.
    I really like the tempo and rhythm features. I know if I am swinging good my Tempo should be around 1.21 seconds. That is the time it takes me to complete my swing from beginning to end. My rhythm should be about 25% of the total swing. If you don't like the % you can change it to time. So my rhthym would be .3 seconds instead of 25%. The instruction book gives the user some targets to shoot for when analyzing their own swing.
    The watch definitely helps me focus on staying smooth in by backswing.

This feature is only available on the G6 models. The G3 does not have this feature.

There is also a test mode. You get 20 swings and it will tell you how consistent you are swinging. The use a 1 to 100 scale. Anything under 10 is awesome. Your tempo, rhythm, swing length and speed are very close each time you swing the club if your score is 10 or lower.

My favorite mode is the game mode. The watch comes with software that allows you to keep track of 10 courses in you watch. You can then keep track of you score, fir, gir, up/down, sand saves, and penalties. I use this all the time. The G6 also still gives you your tempo, rhythm, length and speed during this mode.

You can also keep your playing partners score, but I have never done that. It also allows you to play stableford and match play. I have also played different courses in scatch mode that I hadn't programed into the watch. This is nice to be able to keep track of rounds on courses that are not programed into the watch.

When you done playing you can connect to your computer using the enclose software and usb cable. The software gives your data in spreadsheat, bar graph, and scatter plot forms. I use to keep this info on scorecards and it can be a pain. Instead I enter the required data into the watch as I am walking up to my next shot. Very cool. All info can be transfered in two button clicks. It's nice not having to bother with scorecards or have a pencil stick into my hand as I reach for it in my pocket.

The watch runs on CR2032 batteries. I am on my second soon to be on my third. Batteries don't last, especially in the practice mode. According to the manual the battery will last for 60 hours in swing analasis mode. But they are cheap at Wal-Mart. 2 for under $4.

If you golf a lot and like gadgets this is the watch for you.

I love this watch and I am glad I purchased it. The swing analaysis is cool, but is it worth the extra 100 bucks? I think it is.

I don't think this watch is legal in tournaments. Just a word of caution

Hope you enjoy

bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ernie Romers; August 10th, 2007 at 10:23. Reason: posts merged
    Casio mtd
    Citizen Orca

Seiko 007
    Suunto Vector
    Omega Seamaster Chronograph
    G-Shock G-9000(Mudman)
    G-Shock DW 5600C
    Tag Huer Professional 200

Re: Suunto G6 Pro review

Great post Billy, can you put it over in the reviews section??!!
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

mudman comparison
    Attached Images Attached Images

Casio mtd
    Citizen Orca

Seiko 007
    Suunto Vector
    G-Shock G-9000(Mudman)
    G-Shock DW 5600C

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jeff, just sent you a PM.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Billy, great read, thanks so much!!
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Thanks. I never wrote a review before. If there is anything else you would like to know about the watch just ask.
    Casio mtd
    Citizen Orca

Seiko 007
    Suunto Vector
    G-Shock G-9000(Mudman)
    G-Shock DW 5600C

g6 on the bay for buy it now $279.
    Casio mtd
    Citizen Orca