-10 seconds a day for Chronometer?

Thread: -10 seconds a day for Chronometer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

-10 seconds a day for Chronometer?

Hi,

Not too sure if this is the correct way to monitor the movement on my watch. Would really appreciate some advice.

I am currently holding a EMII Chronometer LE Ball watch and what i did was,

1) Sync my watch it with my handphone's digital clock (SPB Time) Where there is an analog clock with a second hand, etc. Hence, they will both have the second hand starting off at the same time.

2) While syncing the second hand, the hour and minute hands are also synced at the same time

3) I would now place the watch dial up, and then go to bed. In the morn when I look at the timing, the second hand is behind by 10seconds.

Is this normal? I read that a chronometer should not be that far behind? Do I need to bring my watch to the Singapore AD at Wheellock to have my watch checked? I only purchased this ball in Jul 07 :(

Thanks in advance for any help. Would really appreciate it

Re: -10 seconds a day for Chronometer?

I would suggest a more standard reference source. There're plenty on the internet.

Ideally you should test the watch for at least 24 hours and use a timing clock you know to be very accurate. I will set my watch to my radio controlled "atomic" clock at home then wear the watch during the day, take it off at night and leave it to run overnight (in various positions), then check the time in the morning against the "atomic clock". I have always read that an ETA COSC movement should run no more than 6 seconds off per 24 hour period. Currently my Ball watches run anywhere from 1 to 22 seconds off per 24 hour period. I will give the "misbehaving" ones a few more months to "settle down" and then see what the movements do. I'm guessing I'll be sending a few in for regulating by Ball. You may find your COSC watch runs 10 seconds off one day and perhaps only 4 the next depending on a number of factors.......one piece of advice---don't obsess on your watch's accuracy everyday--it'll make you a little crazy!!
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would recommend using a website such as www.time.gov to test the accuracy of your watch. I have found that using the computer CPU, cable TV box, or time off of a mobile phone to be very inaccurate. When using time.gov set your watch appropriately, make sure that it is fully wound (@ 40 turns to be safe) and then test it over the course of 24-48 hours.

Go from there.

Yes, use the time.gov site. That is the only way to properly hack the watch without depending on the other clocks accuracy.
    Most watches benefit from regualtion by a watchmaker after break in.
    10 seconds is too much for any good ETA movement, much less a chronometer. have it regulated.
    And 22 seconds is way way off, that watch may have a problem or need lubrication. It happens, even with brand new watches.

thanks everyone for the info, i will use time.gov to see how it turns out. I'm only 3 + mths into the watch so i would think it should have been 'broken' in and stabalised.

will monitor further. :D

Quote Originally Posted by exxondus View Post
    thanks everyone for the info, i will use time.gov to see how it turns out. I'm only 3 + mths into the watch so i would think it should have been 'broken' in and stabalised.

will monitor further. :D
    Normally new watches will run fast for several months and then settle in. I've even been told by watchmakers I trust that two years is a good time frame for break in. But if the watch is running slow, I'd be more concerned. I would likely take it is for service or warranty, if Ball determines it qualifies. Good luck with it.

i have compared it with the hp clock, and my Sinn857, and even tho they are initially in-sync, my Ball will eventually go out of sync and slower by 10 seconds and the next day, 15seconds and so on..

accumulated on average, a day = -7.5 seconds so far

anyway, will take the advice and use time.gov to monitor instead

The clock on your cell phone is actually tied into the atomic clock. The phone system uses the time standard supplied by the atomic clocks around the world so it won't differ from time.gov

apparently, my Sinn857 not chronometer certified is keeping time more accurately then my chronometer ball.

Guess it must be one of those missed QCed watches. Not that losing a min or 2 within 2-3days would kill me, but then it kinda defeats the purpose of aiming for a chronometer and paying the extra amount. Wonder how it got certified then??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information