Anti-magnetic

Thread: Anti-magnetic

Anti-magnetic

Quick question. If a watch is anti magnetic does it mean it would be more accurate long term? Ive seen posts of watches being inaccurate because they were "magnetized". :thanks

Re: Anti-magnetic

What anti-magnetic means that the movement is shielded using a variety of ways to prevent the movement becoming magnitized by a strong magnetic fields.

Some use incabloc or soft iron cores around the movement "encasing" the watch. Some watches don't have this and could have the mainspring magnatized by putting it near a speaker, or strong magnet.

Ball Hydrocarbon series are anti-magnetic to 12,000 A/m or Amps, which means it has one of the highest anti-magnetic shielding of any swiss watch out there.
    Last edited by obie; September 23rd, 2007 at 03:53.

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by obie View Post

Ball Hydrocarbon series are anti-magnetic to 12,000 A/m or Amps, which means it has one of the highest anti-magnetic shielding of any swiss watch out there.
    Ball Hydrocarbon, I am afraid is not the highest anti-magnetic shielding on a Swiss watch.

The Rolex Milgauss is rated 1000 Gauss = 80,000m/A has higher magnetic protection. The IWC Ingeniuer has a similar rated watch. Panerai has an explorer watch rated 80,000 m/A for their extreme Artic expedition. The German Sinn Flieger and Damasko watches are rated 80,000 m/A. These high anti-magnetic watches are suited for those who want high precision watches while working in environment where magnetic fields are very strong; like laborataries, electronic component plants, tele-communication plants etc.

Under normal circumstances, the Hydrocarbon's anti-magnetic protection is good enough for most people.

Well I did not say it was the highest, but one of them.

While it is true that there are companies like Rolex, IWC and Panerai that release one model that is anti-magnetic to such an extreme, Ball Watch makes all of their watches anti-magnetic above that is considered the norm which is 4,800 A/m. Additionally the MSRP on the above mentioned watches put them out of reach of many WIS' who could actually use an anti-magnetic watch on a daily basis. Additionally those above mentioned watches are in short supply and high demand. It is not like most people can walk down to their watch store and pick up either the Rolex or Panerai. The IWC is more widely available, but I believe their chronograph version of the Ingeniuer lost some if it's antimagnetic qualities when they put on the display back on the new release.

So for those with a limited budget, who want a readily available anti-magnetic watch, I think Ball is a good option, especially when the Hydrocarbon series is 4X the minimum for anti-magnetic qualities. The Sinn watches are readily available in the US and well priced, but the Damasko watches are somewhat difficult to source in the US...
    Last edited by obie; September 23rd, 2007 at 07:10.

Quote Originally Posted by obie View Post
    Well I did not say it was the highest, but one of them.

While it is true that there are companies like Rolex, IWC and Panerai that release one model that is anti-magnetic to such an extreme, Ball Watch makes all of their watches anti-magnetic above that is considered the norm which is 4,800 A/m. Additionally the MSRP on the above mentioned watches put them out of reach of many WIS' who could actually use an anti-magnetic watch on a daily basis. Additionally those above mentioned watches are in short supply and high demand. It is not like most people can walk down to their watch store and pick up either the Rolex or Panerai. The IWC is more widely available, but I believe their chronograph version of the Ingeniuer lost some if it's antimagnetic qualities when they put on the display back on the new release.

So for those with a limited budget, who want a readily available anti-magnetic watch, I think Ball is a good option, especially when the Hydrocarbon series is 4X the minimum for anti-magnetic qualities. The Sinn watches are readily available in the US and well priced, but the Damasko watches are somewhat difficult to source in the US...
    Hi Mr Obie,

I agree with you that Ball makes good value anti-magnetic Swiss watches for the mass market. Since Sinn and Damasko arent really Swiss watches, you are correct in your earlier statement. However, both Sinn and Damasko are price in about the same as Ball Engineers and Hydrogen. Hopefully Ball will up their standards for future watch models.

So sorry to point out that Ball do not 'make all their watches anti-magnetic'. Only Ball Hydrogen and Ball Engineer I&II series have anti-magnetic largely. (with exceptions of some limited editions models like the Fireman Skylab..etc)

The Ball Fireman, Trainmaster, Conductor do not have anti-magnetic shielding.
    Last edited by bullosa; September 24th, 2007 at 09:48.

Thread Information