Aviator Question 44mm?

Thread: Aviator Question 44mm?

Aviator Question 44mm?

Hello!
    This is my first post in the forum but have been reading a whole bunch. I'm in Hong Kong and was checking out some of the ball watches, specifically the aviator, and while I was checking them out I was shown an aviator in 44mm and 46mm. Now, I can only find 46mm listed on Ball's official site so does anyone know where this 44mm version is coming from, he told me there are very few in Hong Kong, maybe only 3 or 4 total. It was NOT the GMT version of the Aviator, just the normal one without the second time zone.
    Has anyone heard of a 44mm aviator? Thanks!

Re: Aviator Question 44mm?

The 44mm is the Aviator GMT, while the Aviator is 46mm. That is the current models and sizes now.

Quote Originally Posted by obie View Post
    The 44mm is the Aviator GMT, while the Aviator is 46mm. That is the current models and sizes now.
    Thanks for the response, I realize those are the current models, but the model I am looking at is a 44mm Aviator WITHOUT the GMT. And I do not see it listed anywhere on the web so am trying to figure out how this dealer has both a 44mm and a 46mm aviator WITHOUT GMT.
    So in short, does a 44mm Aviator non GMT exist or did it previously exit? If not, is this most likely a fake then?
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

See answer below. I even learn something new everyday.
    Last edited by obie; February 11th, 2009 at 20:54.

Hi randall3rd,

It is a special Japan-only version of the Aviator. Due to regulations in Japan, we could not use the larger gas tubes found on the 46mm Aviator. Instead, the Japan Aviator uses a similar case to the 44mm Aviator GMT and uses the same tube size as the Night Train.

Some of our HK dealers have a fairly large Japanese clientele, so they were supplied with limited quantities of this watch.

Best Regards,
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by randall3rd View Post
    Hello!
    This is my first post in the forum but have been reading a whole bunch. I'm in Hong Kong and was checking out some of the ball watches, specifically the aviator, and while I was checking them out I was shown an aviator in 44mm and 46mm. Now, I can only find 46mm listed on Ball's official site so does anyone know where this 44mm version is coming from, he told me there are very few in Hong Kong, maybe only 3 or 4 total. It was NOT the GMT version of the Aviator, just the normal one without the second time zone.
    Has anyone heard of a 44mm aviator? Thanks!
    Last edited by ballwatch; February 11th, 2009 at 08:53.

...needs to update his signature line.
    July 08 Newsletter: New World Record for Guillaume Néry, Diver GMT, Aviator
    Baselworld 2008 Newsletter: Guillaume Néry, Trieste Chronograph, Moonlight Special
    Click to view the BALL Engineer Master II Diver TMT.

Jeremy - Thank you VERY much for the explanation. Today I have checked out 4 other Ball AD's here and none of them had heard of the 44mm Aviator. So I was going crazy as the 46mm is too big for my tiny wrist and I really liked the 44mm.
    Time to go back to the original shop and get myself an Aviator
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ballwatch View Post
    Hi randall3rd,

It is a special Japan-only version of the Aviator. Due to regulations in Japan, we could not use the larger gas tubes found on the 46mm Aviator.
    Instead, the Japan Aviator uses a similar case to the 44mm Aviator GMT and uses the same tube size as the Night Train.

Some of our HK dealers have a fairly large Japanese clientele, so they were supplied with limited quantities of this watch.

Best Regards,
    Jeremy

Thread Information