Aviator vs. Nighttrain

Thread: Aviator vs. Nighttrain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Aviator vs. Nighttrain

Aviator
    Has nice fatty hour markers, is anti-magnetic, and uses an ETA 2836-2

Night Train
    Minute marker tubes, DLC (I have heard it uses a modified ETA 2824-2)

I don't care that the aviator is a day/date I am normally pretty good about knowing what day it is. One nice thing about the aviator not being DLC coated is I can wear it with a metal band if I want to. Summers in phoenix tend to "nastify" leather bands. The drawback of the aviator is that it isnt DLC coated.. I love the coating and have seen first hand how scratch resistant it is.

How much better is the 2836 compared to the 2824?

My only complaint about the Night Train is that it is not anti-magnetic. Oh and I wish the window was usable as a gmt insted of just military time...

Thoughts?

Re: Aviator vs. Nighttrain

Agree. Would also like to see the Aviators available with a SS band

I like the aviators very large gas tubes, but the nighttrain has many more tubes (quantity) on the dial and in my opinion is more beautiful at night.
    Last edited by abouttime; February 4th, 2009 at 21:20.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The ETA 2824-2 is a little better than the 2836 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by abouttime View Post
    I like the aviators very large gas tubes, but the nighttrain has many more tubes (quantity) on the dial and in my opinion is more beautiful at night.
    +1 on the beauty of the NT, assuming that we are referring to the 1st Generation (green, yellow, blue tubes) or transitional (red, yellow, blue tubes) NT. I'm not so sold on the beauty of the current generation NT.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post
    +1 on the beauty of the NT, assuming that we are referring to the 1st Generation (green, yellow, blue tubes) or transitional (red, yellow, blue tubes) NT. I'm not so sold on the beauty of the current generation NT.

Rob
    I kind of debated this myself and got the Night Train. One thing to note on the "transitional" version...It is Red, Green & Blue. This is the version I have and I agree that is much nicer to have the second marker tubes a different color than the hour markers.

Thats strange... you would think the higher the number the more refined the moment...

I wish the Night Train was anti-magnetic... that the one feature of the Aviator I really miss.

Since I haven't gotten it yet (and still need to save up), finding a night Train with blue minutes will most likely be impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Lemaniac40 View Post
    The ETA 2824-2 is a little better than the 2836 I believe.
    Generally speaking the movements are similar from a quality standpoint. Some people may view the 2836 as being the better movement since it has a day/date.

Hi Winzzy,

I am now about 4 weeks into my Aviator and loving it. I am now so used to the size and weight it now feels just normal (7.5" wrist) - takes about 2 weeks!

For me the Black dial and the stainless body is the right balance - I tried a Night Train on but found it a bit "too black" for me.

I am happy I made the right choice for me.

There are many dilemas in life, but choosing between two Balls must go down as one of the better ones!

Happy choosing!

Balldy

Well does anti-magnatic make a difference for average people? As for using UMT as GMT, that may be possible if the UMT dial is not link to the normal hour hand when you turn crown to set the hour hand. Maybe you can check with the guys that have the NT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information