BALL AD in UK - quite disappointed

Thread: BALL AD in UK - quite disappointed

Unhappy BALL AD in UK - quite disappointed

Hello eveybody,

I wanted to share my experience with an AD in the UK. I will not name him unless there is a good reason to do so.

The story starts about two weeks ago. I was browsing the web (and of course this forum) when I came across the BALL brand. Interested, I took a look at their homepage, ballwatch.com. There were quite a few models that I found interesting and when I was curious about the prices, I started to look for an AD.

Living in Austria limits the possible ADs down to a few that were close enough (I prefer having the AD closer to where I live, just in case...), and I found a rather large AD (who is also an AD for many other and well known brands) in the UK. This AD had a BALL that I couldn't find on the BALL website, and since I had to ask them if they would ship to Austria anyway I simply dropped them an email inquiring for this model.

The watch I was interested in, that was listed on this AD's website but not on the BALL page, was the Conductor GMT Limited Edition.

So I first inquired about if they shipped to Austria, to which I got the reply that they would need to know which brand/model I was interested in because they were limited to some brands that they were not allowed to ship outside the UK.
    When I said that I was interested in the BALL Conductor GMT LE, I've been told that it was possible to ship to Austria but that they would need the approval of BALL to ship their watches to Austria as well.

Meanwhile I searched the web for the GMT LE not found on the ballwatch-website and finally found it on the ballwatchusa-website.
    It was (and still is) listed there as "sold out". I found it interesting, since it was listed on this AD's website. But I thought that the AD might have one in stock, so I went on inquiring for it.

Lucky for me, BALL permits them to ship to Austria. The support person from the AD asked me if I had any other questions, and I mentioned that the model I was interested in was listed as sold out on the BALL website.
    I got the reply that "BALL have one in stock" and that it would take about 4-7 days to deliver to the UK if I wanted to place my order because they have to order it themselves.
    So I went to place my order online thru the webshop; however, due to JavaScript problems with the site, I was unable to place my order there.

I wrote an email back to the support person asking him if it was possible to place my order via email, to which I got a positive reply.
    So I sent them all the details: the watch I was interested in (including their Refcode in the shop), my name, adress and payment details.

All this happened on Friday, October 31st. I did't get back any confirmation on Friday, but since it was already around 5 pm in the UK I wasn't too concerned.

On Saturday, November 1st, I sent another email to ask for my order status (they claim their online hours to be Saturday 10:00am - 6:00pm as well), but still, no reply.

I received the order confirmation in Monday, Nov 3rd. I was informed that they ordered the watch with BALL this (Monday) morning. I then asked them to send me a short email when they receive the watch so that I had an estimate on its arrival in Austria. My expectations were somewhere around the 11th/12th.

Today I got an email from this AD (but another person) that they were informed today (!), Nov. 13th, that this was a discontinued model and that they were unable to order it themselves. They offered me another BALL, the Conductor Arabic LE, as a replacement. Still a nice watch, but I initially wanted (and still want) the GMT version...

And the best part is: my credit card was charged the full amount already on Friday, Oct. 31st, when the actual order was placed on Monday, Nov. 3rd.

So basically my question is: what happened here? This AD lists a no longer available watch on its website, on inquiry they say that BALL has one in stock, then nothing happens for almost two weeks, and then they tell me that the specified watch was no longer available?

How could something like this happen? I don't think that BALL is to blame here, and I don't think this AD did this on purpose either.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I think to fully understand my frustration, you have to know everything from the beginning.

Cheers,
    Clemens
    Automatics
    Breitling Colt GMT | Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute | Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono Auto | IWC Flieger Mark XVI | IWC Ingenieur AMG | IWC Ingenieur Chronograph | IWC Portuguese Automatic | IWC Portuguese Chronograph Classic | Meistersinger Pangaea Day-Date | Omega De Ville Hour Vision Annual Calendar | Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra | Omega Seamaster 300m | Omega Seamaster 300m "Bond" | Omega Seamaster 300m "Electric Blue" Titanium | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow "1957" | Omega Speedmaster Day-Date | Rolex Daytona | Rolex Milgauss | Rolex Submariner | TAG Heuer Carrera 1887

Manuals
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo 15 LE | Omega Speedmaster Professional Gemini IV LE | Omega Speedmaster '57 Replica

Quartz
    Camel Trophy Chronograph | Casio World Timer | Oriosa Alarm Chronograph

Re: BALL AD in UK - quite disappointed

I had a similar experience, but with furniture, not a watch. I placed an order and was told it would be 2 weeks before it came in. At the end of 2 weeks I called and asked about my order and was told it was in. When I went to get it I found out it WASN'T in, and was told that the computer SHOWED it in stock, but in reality it wasn't. My point is, sometimes computer errors occur and what shows "on paper" is not reality.
    That's probably what happened.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

This would make sense if this AD had said that THEY have not in stock in the UK but somwhere else.
    But since they would have had ordered it with BALL, and even after me pointing out it was listed as sold out on the BALL website, I was informed that BALL had one in stock.

I don't think that an AD would have access to a manufacturer's stock list, at least here in Austria my AD had to call someone to inquire the availability everytime if he didn't have it in the shop.
    And since the reply to my question came a good 90 minutes later, I guess he had to call somebody as well.

Cheers,
    Clemens
    Automatics
    Breitling Colt GMT | Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute | Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono Auto | IWC Flieger Mark XVI | IWC Ingenieur AMG | IWC Ingenieur Chronograph | IWC Portuguese Automatic | IWC Portuguese Chronograph Classic | Meistersinger Pangaea Day-Date | Omega De Ville Hour Vision Annual Calendar | Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra | Omega Seamaster 300m | Omega Seamaster 300m "Bond" | Omega Seamaster 300m "Electric Blue" Titanium | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow "1957" | Omega Speedmaster Day-Date | Rolex Daytona | Rolex Milgauss | Rolex Submariner | TAG Heuer Carrera 1887

Manuals
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo 15 LE | Omega Speedmaster Professional Gemini IV LE | Omega Speedmaster '57 Replica

Quartz
    Camel Trophy Chronograph | Casio World Timer | Oriosa Alarm Chronograph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You could write a song about the experience .You could call it the Ballad of the Ball AD.
    Last edited by James Haury; November 14th, 2008 at 11:35.

I had a bad experience with the same dealer,it's not hard to tell who you're talking about (from the disorganisation and the 4-7 day thing),i wouldn't ever buy from them again.I just don't need the stress of worrying whether they can even manage between them to send the right watch,or even say whether it's in stock.Very disorganised.They need a good manager to go in there and sort the place out by the sounds of it.

I tried to buy a ball watch from them,after much confusion about whether or not it was in stock or had be ordered in for me and never managing to speak to the same sales person twice whilst getting a different story from each one,they ended up sending me an old stock watch with screws missing from the case back.I sent it back.

Well some people just want to get the business deal so they do/promise anything to secure the deal. So when transaction is done, they will find all sort of way cover up their trace. They give you all sort of excuses from out of stock to shipment delay and at the end of the day you will never get the things you want on time or at all... This is a pretty common scenerio in Lee-Gapore. You need to be even more careful if it on the net and out side of your own country. Next time ask them to send you a "life" picture of the product first before you committed to the purchase. There are other nice BALL watch so look around since the AD decided to compensate you with antoher watch. The just old version Conductor chrono LE(V7750 movement) is nice too. Or the new Cleveland Express with power reserve (similar dial look to the Older LE conductor in term of the power reserve looks that you are looking for). Just as one of the american AD said in this forum. Get a BALL as there is definfiely a BALL for everyone. I got two aleady but third one would depend if they uses they own "movement"

Thread Information