BALL engineer ii moon phase curiosity...

Thread: BALL engineer ii moon phase curiosity...

BALL engineer ii moon phase curiosity...

i've seen a lot of BALL ohio moon phase watches. in none of them does the font of the numeral "2" match the font found on mine. the piece is authentic. i don't doubt this. i post this as a curiosity and for comment.

the font of the "2" on my BALL moon phase does, however, match the font of the "2" on the BALL engineer ii GMT.

anyone ever seen this before? it's subtle, but it's real.

first: a BALL engineer ii moon phase is on the left. my BALL engineer ii moon phase is on the right:

second: a BALL engineer ii GMT is on the left. my BALL engineer ii moon phase is on the right:

Name:  photo (10).JPG
Views: 447
Size:  83.6 KBName:  photo (11).JPG
Views: 433
Size:  91.7 KB

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: BALL engineer ii moon phase curiosity...

I think it is purposely shrunk a little to accommodate the tube above it yet maintain the bottom line give the "2" is 3. times wider than the "1".
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

i understand what you are saying. but to be more clear, the "2" on my personal BALL moon phase is different than the "2" found on all other BALL moon phase watches that i have seen. on this moon phase, and on my moon phase only (as far as i have seen), a "2" appears to have been used which is supposed to be used for the ohio GMT.

i've always noticed it from the day it arrived. i was curious if you have seen (or anyone other member who wishes to comment) whether they have a moon phase or have seen one that uses this "2" which is normally seen on the ohio GMT.

looking at the size and volume of the "loop" of the "2" above the red line in the example showing two BALL moon phase watches show the most immediate and obvious diffenrence. recently i was admiring one of your BALL moon phase watches and indeed, you watch has the "2" with the larger "loop" that one would expect to see on this watch. it is not the "2" found on mine with the "loop" of smaller size and volume.

looking at the lower red line, the difference is more subtle. the extreme left margin of the "2" below the lower red line on a "standard" moon phase with the correct "2" descends to the bottom of the "2" vertically. that feature of the "2" in my moon phase is sloped as it is seen with the "2" intended for the BALL GMT.
    Last edited by tempelhof; April 8th, 2014 at 23:11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it's a very minor detail. you'd have to have seen a lot of these in great detail to even notice it. but i do believe when this dial was assembled, a "2" intended for use on the GMT dial was used. why the "wrong" part was used i have no idea. but it certainly adds interest to the piece to me.

it's an awfully geeky thing to notice. but i do work in authenticating a certain subset of antique in this world and i'm used to immediately noticing very small, almost microscopic differences as i stare at such minutia like this every day. so when i pick this watch up, it jumps out at me in a way that perhaps many would not notice.
    Last edited by tempelhof; April 8th, 2014 at 23:18.

Consider yourself lucky having a unique Moonphase...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

I actually do. I've just never thrown it out there for comment. You know... to see if there might be others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information