Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

Thread: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

Hello Ball fans,

I went through a phase of wanting a Pioneer a few years ago and now it seems that particular config. has been discontinued—replaced by a new iteration that is now a milgauss with larger numeral tubes. For me, the symmetry of the dial has been seriously compromised and I'd look for an older model. But...

Would I tired of the dial? Is the Marvelite (same watch, really—same case, COSC, Cyclops, etc., but with wider tubes as indices and no numerals) the better, more "timeless" choice?

Two years ago I tried one on at Toppers,

Attachment 14052623

and the pic I took is still quite convincing (white dial). I'd be grateful for the community's thoughts on this. And if any of you are itching to move on from your Pioneer we ought to talk!

Have good days, all. My thanks in advance.

Fred Halgedahl

Re: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

Two of my favorite models from them. I think the Pioneer is a little more "classic" looking. The Marvelight is really nice and feels more modern. Reminds me a lot of Seiko. Honestly, the Pioneer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Two of my favorite models from them. I think the Pioneer is a little more "classic" looking. The Marvelight is really nice and feels more modern. Reminds me a lot of Seiko. Honestly, the Pioneer IMO.
    "Classic," eh? Well I agree that the Marvelight is definitely more modern looking. And there's something about the plain-ness of the dial that is bothersome. Hmmmm. B ut now to find an "old-style" Pioneer! There was one on eBay a few weeks ago. I suppose they come up now and then. Just have to keep my eyes peeled! Thanks for your response.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice price drop for the Marvelight ENG III when compared to the previous ENG II models & the Manufacturer model as mentioned here. AMPED UP antimagnetic properties for this one; 80,000A/m now, same as a Rolex Milgauss. The older model, like most watch models was 4,800A/m. I almost picked one up as I like the Oyster Perpetual off-white dial and DJ II looks..a much more reasonable alternative in the Marvelight white dial Engineer III. In the end I chose a Ball Victory with blue dial (just ordered today & my first Ball watch), and the more discreet applied indexes, with balanced colors of tritium. I also prefer the slimmer profile and less bulky bracelet.
    Name:  BallFiremanVictoryBlack3.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  133.1 KB
    Last edited by jamsie; 4 Weeks Ago at 23:45.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsie View Post
    Nice price drop for the Marvelight ENG III when compared to the previous ENG II models & the Manufacturer model as mentioned here. AMPED UP antimagnetic properties for this one; 80,000A/m now, same as a Rolex Milgauss. The older model, like most watch models was 4,800A/m. I almost picked one up as I like the Oyster Perpetual off-white dial and DJ II looks..a much more reasonable alternative in the Marvelight white dial Engineer III. In the end I chose a Ball Victory with blue dial (just ordered today & my first Ball watch), and the more discreet applied indexes, with balanced colors of tritium. I also prefer the slimmer profile and less bulky bracelet.
    Name:  BallFiremanVictoryBlack3.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  133.1 KB
    Hello J,

Thanks so much for weighing in. The Pioneer III has the anti-magnetic upgrade, as well. But for me the symmetry of the thing has been destroyed by enlarging the numerals—clunkier, in my view. I've never gone for that really BIG NUMBER Ball look. As things stand, I'd probably go for the Marvelight III. But may still wait for an older Pioneer.

But hey, congratulations on your choice of the Fireman! This is a nice looking piece—especially in blue! Your first Ball? I don't think you'll be disappointed. I own the Red Label Chronometer GMT (COSC)—same case as the watch you've ordered I believe—and it's a really fine watch. For the money it would be hard to beat. Solid, robust, and yet has an elegance to it that is decidedly un-Ball-like. Wonderful accuracy (this model has the COSC movement) and refinement (on a strap, which I changed to immediately). Don't hesitate to write to tell us all how you like your new piece!

And thanks, again, for getting in touch. Have a good week. Hope your wait is short!

Regards, Fred H.

I have a Pioneer with a black dial and I love it, probably the favorite watch out of all I own. It's suitable for multiple occasions and casual, but sometimes it can be a bit flashy with the polished bracelet. I also like the slightly more intricate numerals and tubes on the dial which is why I chose it over the Marvelite. Either way I don't think you can go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy89 View Post
    I have a Pioneer with a black dial and I love it, probably the favorite watch out of all I own. It's suitable for multiple occasions and casual, but sometimes it can be a bit flashy with the polished bracelet. I also like the slightly more intricate numerals and tubes on the dial which is why I chose it over the Marvelite. Either way I don't think you can go wrong!
    Many thanks for your thoughts, Entropy! Will keep looking, as I think this is really my first choice. Warm regards, FH

Thread Information