Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

Thread: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member Halgedahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    136

    Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

    Hello Ball fans,

    I went through a phase of wanting a Pioneer a few years ago and now it seems that particular config. has been discontinued—replaced by a new iteration that is now a milgauss with larger numeral tubes. For me, the symmetry of the dial has been seriously compromised and I'd look for an older model. But...

    Would I tired of the dial? Is the Marvelite (same watch, really—same case, COSC, Cyclops, etc., but with wider tubes as indices and no numerals) the better, more "timeless" choice?

    Two years ago I tried one on at Toppers,


    Attachment 14052623


    and the pic I took is still quite convincing (white dial). I'd be grateful for the community's thoughts on this. And if any of you are itching to move on from your Pioneer we ought to talk!


    Have good days, all. My thanks in advance.

    Fred Halgedahl

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4

    Re: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

    Two of my favorite models from them. I think the Pioneer is a little more "classic" looking. The Marvelight is really nice and feels more modern. Reminds me a lot of Seiko. Honestly, the Pioneer IMO.

  3. #3
    Member Halgedahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    136

    Re: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Two of my favorite models from them. I think the Pioneer is a little more "classic" looking. The Marvelight is really nice and feels more modern. Reminds me a lot of Seiko. Honestly, the Pioneer IMO.
    "Classic," eh? Well I agree that the Marvelight is definitely more modern looking. And there's something about the plain-ness of the dial that is bothersome. Hmmmm. B ut now to find an "old-style" Pioneer! There was one on eBay a few weeks ago. I suppose they come up now and then. Just have to keep my eyes peeled! Thanks for your response.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member jamsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,093

    Re: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

    Nice price drop for the Marvelight ENG III when compared to the previous ENG II models & the Manufacturer model as mentioned here. AMPED UP antimagnetic properties for this one; 80,000A/m now, same as a Rolex Milgauss. The older model, like most watch models was 4,800A/m. I almost picked one up as I like the Oyster Perpetual off-white dial and DJ II looks..a much more reasonable alternative in the Marvelight white dial Engineer III. In the end I chose a Ball Victory with blue dial (just ordered today & my first Ball watch), and the more discreet applied indexes, with balanced colors of tritium. I also prefer the slimmer profile and less bulky bracelet.
    Name:  BallFiremanVictoryBlack3.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  133.1 KB
    Last edited by jamsie; 4 Weeks Ago at 23:45.


  6. #5
    Member Halgedahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    136

    Re: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamsie View Post
    Nice price drop for the Marvelight ENG III when compared to the previous ENG II models & the Manufacturer model as mentioned here. AMPED UP antimagnetic properties for this one; 80,000A/m now, same as a Rolex Milgauss. The older model, like most watch models was 4,800A/m. I almost picked one up as I like the Oyster Perpetual off-white dial and DJ II looks..a much more reasonable alternative in the Marvelight white dial Engineer III. In the end I chose a Ball Victory with blue dial (just ordered today & my first Ball watch), and the more discreet applied indexes, with balanced colors of tritium. I also prefer the slimmer profile and less bulky bracelet.
    Name:  BallFiremanVictoryBlack3.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  133.1 KB
    Hello J,

    Thanks so much for weighing in. The Pioneer III has the anti-magnetic upgrade, as well. But for me the symmetry of the thing has been destroyed by enlarging the numerals—clunkier, in my view. I've never gone for that really BIG NUMBER Ball look. As things stand, I'd probably go for the Marvelight III. But may still wait for an older Pioneer.

    But hey, congratulations on your choice of the Fireman! This is a nice looking piece—especially in blue! Your first Ball? I don't think you'll be disappointed. I own the Red Label Chronometer GMT (COSC)—same case as the watch you've ordered I believe—and it's a really fine watch. For the money it would be hard to beat. Solid, robust, and yet has an elegance to it that is decidedly un-Ball-like. Wonderful accuracy (this model has the COSC movement) and refinement (on a strap, which I changed to immediately). Don't hesitate to write to tell us all how you like your new piece!

    And thanks, again, for getting in touch. Have a good week. Hope your wait is short!

    Regards, Fred H.

  7. #6
    Member Entropy89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    78

    Re: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

    I have a Pioneer with a black dial and I love it, probably the favorite watch out of all I own. It's suitable for multiple occasions and casual, but sometimes it can be a bit flashy with the polished bracelet. I also like the slightly more intricate numerals and tubes on the dial which is why I chose it over the Marvelite. Either way I don't think you can go wrong!

  8. #7
    Member Halgedahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    136

    Re: Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy89 View Post
    I have a Pioneer with a black dial and I love it, probably the favorite watch out of all I own. It's suitable for multiple occasions and casual, but sometimes it can be a bit flashy with the polished bracelet. I also like the slightly more intricate numerals and tubes on the dial which is why I chose it over the Marvelite. Either way I don't think you can go wrong!
    Many thanks for your thoughts, Entropy! Will keep looking, as I think this is really my first choice. Warm regards, FH

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Ball Engineer II Pioneer (old style) or Marvelite?
      By Halgedahl in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: April 11th, 2019, 04:47
    2. FS: Ball Engineer II Pioneer Black Tritium Lume
      By Matt Arciuolo in forum eBay Auctions
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: June 25th, 2017, 23:48
    3. Today's Deal of The Day is a Ball Engineer II Pioneer COSC!
      By TheWatchmaker in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: October 8th, 2015, 15:59
    4. WTB: Ball EngineerII Moon Phase - Old Style with Glowing Moon
      By seattleal in forum WTB - Wanted to Buy
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: April 29th, 2013, 16:46
    5. Replies: 2
      Last Post: November 4th, 2012, 13:58

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •