Ball Engineer Magneto stiff winding

Thread: Ball Engineer Magneto stiff winding

Ball Engineer Magneto stiff winding

Hi everyone,

Just to start off; this is my watch (a thread is always better with pictures don't you agree )

Name:  20190619_111722.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  58.7 KBName:  20190619_111610.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  79.2 KBName:  20190619_111550.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  82.5 KBName:  20190619_111341.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  71.9 KBName:  20190619_111131.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  75.1 KB

I got this watch new probably about 2yrs ago; its been running perfectly and within cosc specs (approx. +4sec/day) consistently. Its also impeccably finished and with the Magneto Iris its just, well...very nice. Suffice to say it gets a lot of wrist time.

The only problem I have started to experience is some stiff winding; that's to say when unworn for some time and giving it a few winds to get it going it is not as "easy" to wind as it used to be. I don't know if its my imagination, but it kind of feels like the crown turns back slightly after releasing it... almost as if tension is released in the main spring. I don't believe its due for a service just yet; however I will take it in to have it checked, but just wanted some opinions and if this could just be a common issue? (it does keep perfectly good time)

The movement is a Sellita SW200

Re: Ball Engineer Magneto stiff winding

Not a common issue, and yes, getting it checked before damaging it (any further) would be the prudent thing to do--in fact I wouldn't try winding it again until someone has taken a look at it.

I would take Timefleas advice and have it inspected before anything else could happen.

Beautiful watch. Looks really good on the brown strap.

Good luck.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback...!

Did some reading yesterday and it does seem that some people have touted issues with crown seals becoming old and tend to cling to the crown stem which causes the winding to be tight and the crown to turn back slightly after winding. My watchmaker will have to check it out nonetheless.

It does look good on the brown strap eh? I actually bought the strap from cheapestnatostraps just to see how it goes with a brown strap before buying something more expensive (its also a weird size at 21mm). Not the best quality but I put it on and just eventually never took it off. It might be time for a new one though...

Quote Originally Posted by Conrady View Post
    Thanks for the feedback...Did some reading yesterday and it does seem that some people have touted issues with crown seals becoming old and tend to cling to the crown stem which causes the winding to be tight and the crown to turn back slightly after winding....
    I'm pretty sure a two year old watch would not have crown seals that could in any way be construed as "old"--best of luck--it is indeed a good looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I'm pretty sure a two year old watch would not have crown seals that could in any way be construed as "old"--best of luck--it is indeed a good looking watch.
    Thanks and agreed... not an old watch by any standard.

Hope it is nothing serious. Keeping a watch on this thread. Please update us on the outcome. Thanks!

Right so I received the watch back after a thorough check - up from my watchmaker.

Stiff winding is sorted..!

It appeared that some fine lint/dust had made itself into the gap between the Magneto iris indicator ring and the case. According to him the movement is sealed off from this outer ring. The outer ring appears to be where the Iris indicator sits to show if its open or closed.

He cleaned this out and I believe he also lubricated the crown seal (not sure what that entails). Consequently he checked to movement, but because its relatively new and performing well a full service was not done on the movement per se. Unfortunately this casts some doubt about the water resistance, but I absolutely don't use this watch anywhere near water.

This process took all but a day.

Thread Information