Ball Engineer Master II Aviator III Photos. --New release!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ball Engineer Master II Aviator III Photos. --New release!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Multiple Forum Sponsor - Topper Fine Jewelers

Ball Engineer Master II Aviator III

Since it came on the market, the Aviator has been one of Ball's signature watches. It features a 46mm case, 22mm lug width, and one of the greatest amounts of tritium surface area on the hour markers of any Ball watch. This year at Basel, Ball unveiled a new model called the Aviator III. If the Aviator I is all about lume, then Aviator III is about the vintage feel and traditional pilot look. While the markers of the Aviator I are white, the Aviator III features a light green colored inner ring and 12-hour mark triangle. The smaller tritium tubes allow for large traditional 5-minute markers. Instead of the Aviator I dark black dial, the Aviator III's has a gray hue that looks as if it has faded with time.

The strap fabric is a new look for Ball. Along with the new strap on the upcoming Pioneer, it's been one of the two straps Ball customers have enjoyed discussing most about the new novelties. When Philippe talked about them at Baselworld, he said that he hoped the straps would cause the watch to appeal to a younger customer. The Aviator III retails for $1,899 on a strap and $1,999 on bracelet. This makes the watch two hundred dollars less expensive than the Aviator I.

The Aviator (left) and new Aviator III (right).

Both models feature identical cases.

The more vintage style cream colored triangle at the twelve o'clock marker.

The light green colored inner circle of the Aviator III features smaller hour markers than the original Aviator. This treatment allows for an early vintage dial feel with arabic numbers on the five-minute markers. As with the Aviator, the date display maintains the signature red date wheel.

Another view of the hands of the Aviator III.

The Wright Flyer inspired caseback of the Ball Aviator

The fabric strap of the Aviator III.

The Aviator III's lume signature (left) uses a mixture of conventional lume and small tritium gas tubes. The original Aviator (right) also mixes the two, though there is not nearly as much traditional lume.
    Last edited by robattopper; July 26th, 2014 at 17:52.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    Monday-Saturday 10:5:30
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

Re: Ball Engineer Master II Aviator III Photos. --New release!

Sorry ... Yawn. There are umpteen gazilion "triangle at 12" fliegers out there, who needs another?
    Fatz028 likes this.

Yeah... I'll take the old over the new any day of the week.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll take almost any incarnation of the OLD over the new, without a doubt--the new design is one of those "been there, done that" designs, and actually just looks like a ragtag bunch of aviator add-me-ons, resulting in "looks guys, I got myself a new aviator"--not--and, as before, certainly too big for most folks at 46mm, while retaining the virtually unreadable black date wheel with red numerals--you'd think they would actually listen to feedback once in awhile...

--Rob, you keep calling the inner circle, top triangle and numerals on the AV III "cream-colored"--is this curdled cream? On my monitor which is color corrected for my photo work, this looks like the cream the wicked witch of the west might serve to the neighborhood children, perhaps (a bit on the green side), but not what I would usually call cream--do I need to recalibrate my monitor?
    Last edited by timefleas; August 21st, 2014 at 02:58.

Aviator watches have never really appealed to me, but many people love them and I am sure many will like this watch. I like the fact that ball is switching up the straps and trying new things. I like the vintage feel. The one thing that really stands out to me is the day date window. Ball needs to have the day date wheels colored to match the dial. I think this a much cleaner look. My eye goes to the date window first thing.

I really like Flieger watches personally. But I feel the ball has been dropped on their designs. It looks like they are trying to recreate the traditional design B dial and it is falling short on many levels. I think it is pretty silly that they would put a hour hand that doesn't line up with the dial markers. The whole dial is designed very poorly.
    I think that they should have gone in a different direction with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    samanator likes this.

"--Rob, you keep calling the inner circle, top triangle and numerals on the AV III "cream-colored"--is this curdled cream? On my monitor which is color corrected for my photo work, this looks like the cream the wicked witch of the west might serve to the neighborhood children, perhaps (a bit on the green side), but not what I would usually call cream--do I need to recalibrate my monitor?[/QUOTE]"

you are right! it is more than a bit on the green side. I've changed it in the article. Not only should there not be sales in the Hiroshima computer stores for a replacement monitor, no re-calibration of your screen is needed. Thanks for the catch!
    Last edited by robattopper; July 26th, 2014 at 18:00.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

For some reason I thought this was using the 44 mm case so I I surprised to learn it is a 46mm. I like the canvas strap. With our general crowd here on WUS I can see less lume being controversial. The half Flieger B dial may also create mixed feelings as Moffett indicates. I think I would like this a little more with a Fireman style dial. It would be cool to have the extra protection of an a Engineer series with a straight forward Fireman style dial. I've always liked the fit and feel of the EMII cases especially on a strap. The tube size is more than sufficient when it gets dark.
    Last edited by samanator; July 26th, 2014 at 19:40.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Michael correctly pointed out that our post could have used more strap pictures. The fabric strap (which is pretty light on padding) has a similar leather backing that is used on the traditional Ball leather. It is significantly lighter than the leather strap on the Aviator I, and looks looks like it will break in quickly.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    --Rob, you keep calling the inner circle, top triangle and numerals on the AV III "cream-colored"--is this curdled cream? On my monitor which is color corrected for my photo work, this looks like the cream the wicked witch of the west might serve to the neighborhood children, perhaps (a bit on the green side), but not what I would usually call cream--do I need to recalibrate my monitor?
    Yeah... It has that same green color that Linda Blair puked up in the "Exorcist"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information