Ball Engineer Master II Diver Scratch on Dial
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ball Engineer Master II Diver Scratch on Dial

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ball Engineer Master II Diver Scratch on Dial

I bought this brand new Ball from an Authorized Dealer about 3 weeks ago.

Call me anal... Call me a perfectionist (which I will readily admit)... but this brand new, straight from Ball (as the AD didn't have on in stock) has a scratch on the dial. I must admit that the AD would never have seen this scratch unless they looked at it under a loupe as it's just barely visible with the naked eye and only at a specific angle. I don't blame the AD for this in any way and haven't mentioned their name to "Protect the innocent". I'm sure they will make it right if I choose to bring it to their attention.

My question is weather or not I should even bother with the hassle of sending it back for a replacement. You really can't see it unless you have a loupe but you know how that goes. Once you know the defect is there it will always bug you even if you can't see it without magnification.

I discovered this while scrutinizing the watch to compare it's build quality with my Omega PO. Obviously these two watches are in two different price and class ranges but none the less, I don't feel this should be an acceptable flaw no matter what the price difference is between these two classes of watches.

I've attached several photos taken with my Canon digital rebel camera. This scratch is definitely under the crystal and on the dial. The watch has never been serviced or taken apart so this is definitely a factory defect.

The scratch is right under the "4" hour gas tube marker and it looks like part of the scratch is also just above the "4" hour gas tube marker as well. It looks like it might have happened when they were inserting the gas tube.

All opinions/suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Name:  IMG_3934 (Medium).JPG
Views: 818
Size:  73.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3932 (Medium).JPG
Views: 759
Size:  80.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_3934 (Medium).JPG
Views: 818
Size:  73.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3936 (Medium).JPG
Views: 744
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3937 (Medium).JPG
Views: 738
Size:  81.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3938 (Medium).JPG
Views: 736
Size:  82.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Ball Engineer Master II Diver Scratch on Dial

I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd ask them to make it right and wait for them to do so. If you wanted to sell the watch someday, you would have to disclose that scratch and it would devalue the watch whether or not it can be seen with the naked eye or not. Just my two pennies. Nice watch, BTW!

Yeah, there's a scratch, definitely a bummer.

But those waves! Lovely macros.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great shots--you should do a spread on this when the dust clears--but before that, yes, of course a scratched dial on a brand new watch goes right back to the seller or maker.

Thanks everyone for the input on this issue. I've already sent the AD an email requesting a replacement. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. They could be much better IMO. These were just quick hand held snapshots. If I put the camera on my tripod I could get some cleaner, more in focus shots. But they served their intended purpose of highlighting the scratch.

I would return it for replacement without a 2nd thought.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

So, aside from the scratch, how did you find the Ball to compare with the Omega?

Since this is a Ball forum I don't want to go into any great detail. But overall the Omega fit and finish wins hands down IMHO. With the Omega being 3 times the cost of the Ball I wouldn't expect anything less.

I could go into some specifics but I don't believe this forum is the place to discuss it. I'm guessing the "Public Forum" would probably be a better place for this type of discussion.

If it were me the watch would be going back. Balls are not exorbitant to buy but you want to be the person that puts the first mark on the watch. That scratch would drive me nuts. Just my two cents worth.
    Kevin

send it back straight away. It is a annoying blemish on the dial

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information