Ball Luminescence Help?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ball Luminescence Help?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ball Luminescence Help?

I do not yet own a Ball watch but I want a watch withserious luminesce and all roads seem to point to Ball for that.

I am wondering if the lumen works in pitch black?
    Does it need to “charge”with the sun/lights?
    Do all Ball watches come with the Micro Gas Tubes?

Which Ball models have the best luminesce?

Plus I have a slight railroad fetish so would like to have ahistoric RR anyway!
    Sorry for the newbie questions.

Re: Ball Luminescence Help?

So, yes, no, yes.

Those with a 'T' rating.

The GTLS or tritium tubes are also used on some gun sights, so that is another place they may be seen.
    It wasn't this time until now. - Me.

To expand upon the Sparrow's answers, tritium tubes work great in pitch black, don't need charging and last as long as you are in the dark--you could spend a year underground and they would be illuminating the entire time. All modern generation (from year 2000 on) Ball watches come with tritium tube illumination, all watches produced before that did not. Those with the greatest lumes are those with the most tritium tubes, they are usually described on the dial with a single "T" but sometimes "T100"--the other level is "T25". These numbers essentially refer to the upper limits of the amount of tritium used on the dial, with of course 100 a lot more than 25. Those watches with a lot of Tritium include the various iterations of the Night Train, some of the Aviators, and others. Here is one of each of the first two--both designated at "T" or "T100".
    Attached Images Attached Images

RyCheDay likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you're looking for the brightest lume stick to the dials with mostly green tubes- the brightest color visible to the human eye.

If it's any help, this is my Engineer Hydrocarbon. I got into my car one night and saw how bright the glow of the lume was. At one stage, I thought of selling it and then not. I get reminded why I liked the watch each time I see the lume. Simply beautiful. There is no need for any recharge - stays like this all night.

Name:  Ball Watch Lume in BMW resized for WUS.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  117.6 KB
    RyCheDay likes this.

Goggle "Tritium tubes" for more information on how this material works.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

They dont actually have the lume like your traditional watch but use actual tritium tubes which have a constant glow.

Tritium is a radioactive isotope. The glass tubes are vacuums. They have a half life of approx 15 years depending on the age of the tritium tube obviously. They are also expensive to replace. If you buy a new Ball watch you may not get new tritium tubes. They may be old stock and already be a few years old, so their half life will be decreased. I have a lot of flashlights with tritium installed. They work in pitch black, no need to "charge"
    Name:  11226067_710576325735465_4548848789541809953_n.jpeg
Views: 50
Size:  106.1 KB
    IG #roscoe101010

Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE, Oris Aquis Regulateur Der Meistertaucher, Oris Aquis Staghorn LE, Oris Aquis Great Barrier Reef III LE, Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT Titanium, Lum-Tec Bull 42 A20, Lum-Tec Combat B33 GMT, Luminox Atacama Field Day/Date Black, Raymond Weil Tango, Citizen Eco Drive Promaster, Citizen Eco Drive Pro Master Marine Aqualand 200m, Geckota S-01 300 m Auto Dive Watch , Seiko SKX007J1 modded, Seiko 5 Sports "Purple Haze" LE, Citizen Promaster Asia Limited Edition Fugu NY0097-87A, Victorinox INOX Pro Diver, Seiko Prospex "Save The Ocean Great White Shark Edition" Turtle 200M Automatic.

Hi- thank you for your help. I am eyeing the Ball bronze engineer III with Arabics. Am I correct in understanding that there are levels of luminosity for Ball watches? Like it seems the Marvel light is brighter/better than the regular trititum? Also is there a way to tell if something is T-25 or T-100?
    Thanks
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by RyCheDay View Post
    Hi- thank you for your help. I am eyeing the Ball bronze engineer III with Arabics. Am I correct in understanding that there are levels of luminosity for Ball watches? Like it seems the Marvel light is brighter/better than the regular trititum? Also is there a way to tell if something is T-25 or T-100?
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Green is the brightest of all tritium, below is a chart showing the % of glow
    Name:  3200867.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  51.5 KB
    Dogbert_is_fat likes this.
    IG #roscoe101010

Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE, Oris Aquis Regulateur Der Meistertaucher, Oris Aquis Staghorn LE, Oris Aquis Great Barrier Reef III LE, Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT Titanium, Lum-Tec Bull 42 A20, Lum-Tec Combat B33 GMT, Luminox Atacama Field Day/Date Black, Raymond Weil Tango, Citizen Eco Drive Promaster, Citizen Eco Drive Pro Master Marine Aqualand 200m, Geckota S-01 300 m Auto Dive Watch , Seiko SKX007J1 modded, Seiko 5 Sports "Purple Haze" LE, Citizen Promaster Asia Limited Edition Fugu NY0097-87A, Victorinox INOX Pro Diver, Seiko Prospex "Save The Ocean Great White Shark Edition" Turtle 200M Automatic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information