Ball Moon-Phase Lume Question.

Thread: Ball Moon-Phase Lume Question.

Ball Moon-Phase Lume Question.

I noticed some inconsistencies with the lume on my watch and was wondering if this was intentional or is my lume fading?

Look at the middle of the '3' and the back of the '6' they are much brighter then the rest of the numbers.
    Is that normal?

Sorry for the pics, i'm just starting to mess with my shutter speed and aperture settings to get good lume shots.

Here's one just for fun. ;)

• Zenith El Primero 1969
    • Stowa Flieger
    • Victorinox Officer's Limited Edition 1884
    • Ball Engineer II Marvelight
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Phase
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Glow

Re: Ball Moon-Phase Lume Question.

Sorry, I have the newer model, so I cannot speak to what you are seeing.

Dan

SOG

That is nice! Didn't know they have such moon phrase model!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I see the bright spot on the 3, doesn't seem normal to me. It must have been a hot batch of Lume!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Sometimes I've noticed the hand tubes seem to be a touch brighter(yours appear that way), but I've not seen a marker look brighter like that and it seems to defy the expected. Maybe the phosphor is more/less pure causing it to excite a little more or maybe it is a color variance? Just a WAG. In the one picture the center of the three almost looks amber.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

I thought it was odd. The hands are definitely the brightest lume on the watch and the middle of the 3 is about as bright as the hands.
    That's why I thought maybe the numerals had faded. The warranty card stated the watch was bought in 2012 but i'm pretty sure this model is at least 8 years old.
    I asked Rob about it and he said there shouldn't be a variance, which could possibly mean my watch is one of the 1st that would need to have the tubes replaced.

There aren't very many lume shots I could find online, but the ones I could don't seem to show a brightness difference between the hands and numbers.

Name:  2089689028_17b8445e17.jpg
Views: 2099
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  Ball-Automatic-Watch-Engineer-Master-II-Moon-Phase-NM1082C-SAJ-BK-2.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  9.0 KB

Name:  ballm1.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  99.2 KB

• Zenith El Primero 1969
    • Stowa Flieger

Here is a shot of my moonie for comparison...

I don't know if the middle bar of the "3" is actually brighter on mine, or if it is just the way the photo makes it look. I have always thought that the lume on my moonie is not as bright as on other newer Balls. May be age, may be the tubes that were used, who knows. Take a look at this comparison to my COSC diver. The COSC Diver is a T watch that was purchased from AD a year or 2 before the moonphase. However, I think the moonphase model was in production before the COSC diver, so the production date may actually be earlier than the diver. Not only does the diver have more tubes, but the tubes also look brighter than the moonie.

Keep us posted if you hear anything about tube replacement from Rob or Ball. I have heard that it can be done, but have yet to hear/see of anyone that has done it.

Mitch

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arias51 View Post
    I thought it was odd. The hands are definitely the brightest lume on the watch and the middle of the 3 is about as bright as the hands.
    That's why I thought maybe the numerals had faded. The warranty card stated the watch was bought in 2012 but i'm pretty sure this model is at least 8 years old.
    I asked Rob about it and he said there shouldn't be a variance, which could possibly mean my watch is one of the 1st that would need to have the tubes replaced.

What would be the reason to have it replaced? You just have two tubes that that phosphor is a little brighter. Varying levels of glow happens quite often with conventional lume. When it doesn't glow it should be replaced.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Maybe i'm a little bit anal then, but the dimness and variance in tubes annoys me. I am on the fence about having them replaced though, as I kind of agree with you in that they are working, just not that well.
    I have to double check with Rob but the original price he gave was 200$ for replacement.
    I don't think that's a bad price at all to have new tubes put in, who knows they may end up being better quality then was used in the original.

Thanks everyone for replying and especially to waterbrook for posting his moonphase, that helped a lot to see the comparison between yours and mine.
    • Zenith El Primero 1969
    • Stowa Flieger

I just got a Ball Ohio Moon Phase and while I can't comment about your Lume, I can add that the markers for this one appear fainter than those on my Streamliner and Spacemaster Glow. But they are all consistent. Perhaps one tube just got more H3 than the others or the interior coating was not as thick? Just guessing.

Thread Information