Ball Moonphase

Thread: Ball Moonphase

Ball Moonphase

Hey All:

What is your general opinion of Ball in general, and their MoonPhase model specifically.

Pros, cons with the brand...I am looking for as much input as possible, especially on what if any modifications are done to the movement, and what the base movement is?
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Re: Ball Moonphase

I know nothing of the guts in the Moonphase--if it is a Ball caliber or straight ETA movement? I suppose you could find that info on their website or thru someone here(?) I can tell you I wore one last weekend at the AD and I think it may very well be my next Ball--very handsome watch and the glowing moon and stars are impressive. A beautiful piece of workmanship.
    Ball watches in general are hard to beat for price vs quality. Their unique history, styling and use of tritium tubes make them very attractive in my eyes. Ball's customer service is hard to beat and Ball Watch has been very responsive to questions/comments posed on this forum. I have 10 Balls...no wait...11 Balls (I get my Night Train on Friday!) and they are all very special timepieces. Whatever Ball you might decide to get, I'm sure you'll be very pleased.
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

I have learned that the movement is a base caliber ETA 968. Does anyone know anything about this movement?
    kind regards,

scott

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scottw44 View Post
    I have learned that the movement is a base caliber ETA 968. Does anyone know anything about this movement?
    This is one of more unusual watches. I will give you the base calibre within 24 hours. If memory serves it is a 2824. We gave it our calibre number, BAll 968 since we did so many modifications. We are kind of proud of this watch and it is indeed, one of our more unheralded watches.

Our Swiss partners asked me a couple of years back if I thought we should do another power reserve watch or a moonphase watch. I like, as the Americans called them, "up down indicator" watches or as the Swiss call them "Reserve de Marche" watches but we had already done a couple. Even tho both of the versions we had done were sellouts (one was limited edition), I casaully said, "well, if we do, make it something different".

Both the new moonphase AND the new power reserve were over the top!
    Well, guess what? They did something different alright. Over the top IMHO. Both of these babies are way outside the norm of typical Swiss watchmaking. Both are in house designs. Our very own designers and techs put their heads together and came up with these babies. The moonphase is over the top with many gastubes INSIDE the big moonphase so the moon glows at night! And the stars too! The power reserve is linear rather than round or half moon. Looks kind of like an old Rail power or gas guage.

And the up/down or "power reserve" has gas tubes. Changes color as it loses "steam". A very cool watch. Unlike anything out there.

These are two of our coolest and yet, most overlooked models!

Jeffrey P. Hess
    Last edited by jhess; October 18th, 2007 at 13:38.

Thank you kindly Mr. Hess. I am very fond of the reputation the brand has garnered and discovered this watch while looking at the 32mm Fireman for my wife.

The watch spoke to me, and everything I read eems to indicate you are a top notch brand with great customer and dealer support.

I look forward to learning more about the movement and having the watch on my wrist.
    kind regards,

scott

Quote Originally Posted by jhess View Post
    This is one of more unusual watches. I will give you the base calibre within 24 hours. If memory serves it is a 2824. We gave it our calibre number, BAll 968 since we did so many modifications. We are kind of proud of this watch and it is indeed, one of our more unheralded watches...

Jeffrey P. Hess
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw44 View Post
    Thank you kindly Mr. Hess. I am very fond of the reputation the brand has garnered and discovered this watch while looking at the 32mm Fireman for my wife.

The watch spoke to me, and everything I read eems to indicate you are a top notch brand with great customer and dealer support.

I look forward to learning more about the movement and having the watch on my wrist.
    Jeff, your initial guess was very very close!

The Ball 968 is based on the ETA 2836, which as most of us know is essentially "ETA 2824 + Day indication."

The Ball Engineer Master II Moonphase is a 29 1/2 day moon phase illuminated by Ball micro gas tubes.

Regards,
    Jeremy Hogan
    Ball Watch Company

...needs to update his signature line.
    July 08 Newsletter: New World Record for Guillaume Néry, Diver GMT, Aviator
    Baselworld 2008 Newsletter: Guillaume Néry, Trieste Chronograph, Moonlight Special
    Click to view the BALL Engineer Master II Diver TMT.

Thanx Jeremy. So the Moonphase watch is based on Caliber 2836, is that correct?

Also, do you do the modifications in house to add the moonphase complication?

Lastly, any upgrades, finish embellishments, etc to the 2836...what type of daily rate expectation should I have?

Moonphase...the last complication on my realistic want list and I am leaning strongly toward Ball.

tia...and as a guy who often falls asleep without taking his watch off, this should be a work of art at nite.

sorry for all the questions.

scott

"...time and tide wait for no man..."

s. clemens
    kind regards,

scott

Thread Information