Ball Nedu purchase decision
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ball Nedu purchase decision

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Ball Nedu purchase decision

Hello all, First let me start by saying that after owning IWC, breitling and other brands I saw a Ball Nedu and think it's an amazing watch which I am more than seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on. I wish it was a touch larger (not taller) and had some AR coating on crystal but overall a really nice watch. Now I know that I am on a Ball thread, but I would love some feedback on a tough choice without getting beamed for asking a question like this on a Ball thread. I have the choice of a new Ball Nedu at an amazing price or an Omega Planet ocean Chrono (previous gen early model, not 9300 of course) with rubber strap and in good cosmetic shape but no warranty at about $250 more. As much as I think the Ball rocks with the dressiness and ruggedness with that amazing tritium (which sold me), they both have the chrono you can use under water, I'm having a hard time making a choice. I do tend to sell watches as I need. This is absolutely going to be my daily driver, so I will be wearing it with a suit and jeans. I do think the Ball actually sits on the wrist a bit more comfortably. Thank you for reading and apologies in advance if anyone takes this as anti-Ball, to the contrary I never thought I would compare a brand I never saw until a few weeks ago to the PO which I've wanted.

Re: Ball Nedu purchase decision

Let me start out by saying I don't own the NEDU. I do have the Spacemaster X-lume. Overall, I believe Ball watches to be very finely crafted and have compared mine side by side with friend's Panerai, Rolex, Breitling and not been disappointed in my watch. In regards to your regrets on the NEDU, the Ball website states the NEDU has a 3.7 ANTI-REFLECTIVE sapphire crystal. So, that takes care of the no AR coating. Also, I can tell you I LOVE the tritium, particularly when I"m traveling and sit it on the nightstand overnight. In reality, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Go with your gut and you'll end up with the watch thzt will make you happiest. But, don't doubt Ball is a fine product.

I have two Balls, yes, an unfortunate number that leaves lots of room for laughs. I have Rolex, Breitling and a few other brands. The Ball is the watch brand I go to the most often on evenings and weekends. I don't worry about it, it's accurate, doesn't attract the wrong kind of people and the quality is up there with the other luxury brands. The NEDU is on my wish list and and when I sell some of my collections, I'll pick one up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Thanks, I absolutely think the Nedu is a design success and will probably take that path as I also like the shock resistance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was looking to trade my Breitling, Grand Seiko and Longines for one watch but my BallSpacemaster x-lume was never on the table for trade....that's how special I think Ball is.

BTW, the NEDU is not a suit watch. You'll never get the cuff over the watch.

Regarding the comparison to Omega....tough call because Omega builds a great watch as well, but it's not a Ball. If it were a newer version we'd be comparing a more expensive watch to the Ball. In this case, the NEDU wins for me.

Greetings and glad to see you considering a Ball watch to add to your collection. I purchased the NEDU model back in February. I was a bit leary at first because it was my first major watch purchase. It took me a good 20 years of marriage to finally pull the trigger on a serious watch. I have done lots or research over the years and did my homework on this and many other forums prior to purchase. I will say I enjoy the exclusivity of being a Ball owner and not just being another Rolex or Breitling on the block. I get many compliments on the watch and consider it my daily driver. I will agree with wscofield3 above and say that because the watch is a bit tall, it tends to not be real comfortable with long sleeve shirts. It has quickly turned into my favorite watch and I wear it as much as possible. I heavily considered the HCSMO prior to the NEDU purchase but once I had them both side by side at the AD in Nassau, I found the NEDU to be lighter and rode on my wrist a bit nicer. I tend to wear my watches loose and the HCSMO felt a bit clunky on my wrist, but still a beautiful piece. You will find many opinions on the forum and I have found this one to be no different although I have found this forum to be respectful with many facts regarding the technical aspects of the brand, which weighed heavily when doing my research. I will once again be in Nassau this summer and look to pick up a classically styled dress watch, likely a 60 Seconds II. Happy hunting and be happy with your decision and wear it well!!
    Last edited by Heartlandblaster; June 10th, 2014 at 03:03. Reason: spelling
    MarkingTime likes this.

Name:  worthless.gif
Views: 457
Size:  41.6 KB

Banned

Wschofield, I actually don't mind the watch beyond the cuff as I tend to wear my cuffs close anyway. I like having the watch show I used to wear my chrono avenger with a suit and that was a bit tougher. I also agree on your point about the older omega vs new. I also think that the Omega sits about as tall as the Nedu as it doesn't sit flush to my wrist. Nevertheless, both the Ball and Omega are beautiful watches. Heartland blaster, as you mentioned, there are so many good points about the Ball, it makes me wonder why I'm still thinking about the Omega which I'm sure a bit about brand recognition and superficial. I'm giving myself one more swing to the stores to try both on again. Thanks for the thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    wschofield3 likes this.

You should take pics of both watches on your wrist. Sometimes one is more suited to you than another. And, post some pics already!

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Just to defend the Omega fairly, the 9300 chronograph movement when tested in four variations in Watch Time (including the PO chronograph with the 9300) has the most stable rates and is the most accurate chronograph movement in production to paraphrase them. Add that it has antimagnetic components many others do not and a 8-10year service interval it is nearly impossible to fault. The Omega Dark Side of the Moon destroyed the Breitling Black Steel Chronograph with the Breitling in-house (not a slouch either) in a recent Watch Time comparison by nearly 10 points. Based on their testing review the Ball matched the Breitling under similar testing standards. The Omega does command a 2x price over the NEDU. The review of the NEDU praised the case and bracelet finish as well as the excellent night time show.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information