Ball Official Railroad Standard Canadian Dial (25j?) Strap Inquiry

Thread: Ball Official Railroad Standard Canadian Dial (25j?) Strap Inquiry

Ball Official Railroad Standard Canadian Dial (25j?) Strap Inquiry

I inherited this watch from my grandfather whom I was very close to. Both sides of my family are railroaders 3 generations deep so Ball watches are not uncommon around here, but this one was always my favorite design.

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  24.4 KB

That's not actually my picture, as watch just entered shop to be cleaned and crystal polished but it is the same exact style. Here are a few more links with pictures and details -

Ball Railroad Wristwatch | eBay
    Ball Official Railroad Standard Canadian Dial

Now first things first....I realize the prices on all those listings is inflated. Honestly, I don't really care. This isn't a "value" thread. I personally love the design, the watch is quality and the personal significance is substantial. I sent the links for better looks at the watch.

I've done a little research and would like to keep the fit to as slim as possible and I also have smallish wrists (6.5"), which probably rules out any deployants (a shame because I like the style). I'd love to find a nice black leather (black stitching as well) strap. I've toyed with the idea of alligator, crocodile, lizard but honestly would love to find a quality strap under $50 and that isn't realistic. There may be some imprints of good quality within that budget though. That's where y'all come in hopefully. If that's a pipe dream though, I'd rather have a nice quality typical leather band than something that looks like crap.

I know some may feel I'm skimping on the budget for the band and that may be the case. But I haven't worn a watch since I was 14 years old and sporting a Fossil because that's what me and my friends all decided to do for a couple years. I'm 29 now. I'm not going to make a large investment in something I may only wear when the mood/event strikes. Hopefully I'll find a buckle and strap comfortable enough to make it a more everyday wear-er though. Two stores that seem to have some good choices and I have seen mentioned are strappedfortime.com and TimesofPlenty on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestion! I'm not above researching things on my own but the options are vast and I'm a firm believer in asking for advice from those who are more committed...especially in regards to hobbies.
    Last edited by jaxwithanx; December 5th, 2014 at 07:51.

Re: Ball Official Railroad Standard Canadian Dial (25j?) Strap Inquiry

Also, if anyone just has some more general information on this style watch...I'd love to hear it. Pretty much the only thing I know about it is the information provided in the links.

Check BOB straps on the bay--in your price range ($30-40) and they make various leather choices in several sizes and colors (croc style, smooth, matte, etc.)--I have one of his on my 40mm Fireman, while two different real crocs, including a BALL version (at $200+), sit in my strap drawer. If you do want a real croc strap, a guy here in the WUS strap sales section from Vietnam makes great real croc straps for $30, so you can get the size and color you want, the number of holes, etc.. If you need help finding his stuff, let me know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Check BOB straps on the bay--in your price range ($30-40) and they make various leather choices in several sizes and colors (croc style, smooth, matte, etc.)--I have one of his on my 40mm Fireman, while two different real crocs, including a BALL version (at $200+), sit in my strap drawer. If you do want a real croc strap, a guy here in the WUS strap sales section from Vietnam makes great real croc straps for $30, so you can get the size and color you want, the number of holes, etc.. If you need help finding his stuff, let me know.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Pulled up BOB straps and definitely think I can find something I'd like from there under budget. I searched in the strap section of the vendor area and saw a poster from Vietnam selling croc bands (FlyDragonStrap) but he signed up just last month so I assume that is not who you are talking about.

That is the right guy--he also sells on the bay. Got one strap from him which is quite well done, and again, a real croc, hand made (but well made), for $29.... Not the thickest of straps (BOB is thicker in the center, depending on your model). I would go with BOB for a great high quality looking leather based strap, or FlyD if you want a real croc, though there are also other good under $50 choices out there of course--these are the ones I know and like the best.

Welcome to the forum! That's a nice a great looking watch. Watches inherited from loved ones are the best kind of watch.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    That is the right guy--he also sells on the bay. Got one strap from him which is quite well done, and again, a real croc, hand made (but well made), for $29.... Not the thickest of straps (BOB is thicker in the center, depending on your model). I would go with BOB for a great high quality looking leather based strap, or FlyD if you want a real croc, though there are also other good under $50 choices out there of course--these are the ones I know and like the best.
    Appreciate the help. Truly. I'll be ordering from one of them today when I get to sit down and decide. Only problem with the custom strap is I'm not really sure on the correct length or number of holes. Don't have anything to compare it to. Any guideline for a 6.5" wrist (prefer least amount of overlap reasonably possible).

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Welcome to the forum! That's a nice a great looking watch. Watches inherited from loved ones are the best kind of watch.
    Thanks! I love the design...don't care for all the various subdials and dates and such. Very simple brushed case and clean numbers. And you're right, you can't go wrong with an inherited watch.

For a 6.5 wrist, lengths no more than 115/75, but most ready-made don't give you choices--go with an inexpensive ready-made first, wear it, measure and go from there. (Figure out number/placement of holes after you have one strap to work with.)

Also look at Crown and Buckle, Panatime, and even Holben's a strap vendor on eBay.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Also look at Crown and Buckle, Panatime, and even Holben's a strap vendor on eBay.
    Thanks for all the help. Ended up going with this one - Hirsch Louisianalook Short Alligator-Grain Black - Shop for Bands

Thread Information