Ball preorders: have they jumped the shark?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ball preorders: have they jumped the shark?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ball preorders: have they jumped the shark?

Starting with the last one and continuing with the Roadmaster Icebreaker just announced, it seems that the Ball preorders no longer represent the value they once did. There’s really nothing about the Icebreaker that makes it a bargain at the preorder price of over $1800. That’s especially true when compared to most of them, where it was possible to get a nice watch for less than $1000. 904L and a power reserve indicator don’t add $900 worth of value when compared to the very tritium-heavy Starlight or the last Night Train.

I hope the next preorder offers more value for the price. It would be dumb of Ball to alienate all of their ADs with their low preorder pricing and then jack it back up again after they’ve sacrificed so many of their retail outlets.

Re: Ball preorders: have they jumped the shark?

It’s COSC too isn’t it?
    Not sure how much that increases the price, but I suspect that COSC + power reserve movement costs a lot more than a standard auto and using tritium tubes.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Starting to feel that way, really like the designs they’re putting out....but that cost for a preorder you have to wait the better part of a year for and next to no dealer backup...

Omega "Skyfall" Aqua Terra 8500

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

same here

It's 904l steel which raises the cost of production. If I was looking to buy a new watch I would get this one, it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    It’s COSC too isn’t it?
    Not sure how much that increases the price, but I suspect that COSC + power reserve movement costs a lot more than a standard auto and using tritium tubes.
    The COSC version is over $2000.
    Bradjhomes likes this.

I see the previous low prices pre-order was more to gain traction into the new world order / disruption market. They are very active in social media and Ball Watches are popping up everywhere on my social media accounts. That is how they drive their sales, through social media and engagement with their fans on social media.

Now that they have some traction in the market; I think the next stage of their renewal strategy is to bring out watches that are close in price to previous offerings and, COSC certified while retaining only a small number of master dealers.

From my understanding, a lot of manufacturers are beginning to kill their dealer network and take advantage of online sales direct to customers. I think with Ball’s current business model of preorders, it gives them almost instantaneous feedback. If a particular preorder doesn’t sellout as expected, they can compare it to previous offerings and adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nokie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Igorek View Post
    It's 904l steel which raises the cost of production. If I was looking to buy a new watch I would get this one, it looks good.
    I agree totally. I am in love with this one, at least based on the renders. To me it is almost the perfect Ball watch(although I wish they had an in-house movement option). They have taken the Roadmaster design and really refined it to chiselled perfection. The dial is very nicely designed, balanced and not over done. I must find a way to get this one.

Great looking watch with a long wait time.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information