Ball Railroader Diver
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Twofaston2
  • 1 Post By wickets

Thread: Ball Railroader Diver

Ball Railroader Diver

I thought I found an ideal Ball watch for vacations - a quartz diving watch that I would be use able to tell time in the dark. I also confirmed with Ball that the Railroader was an actual release, and that it was released a long time ago.

Unfortunately, the tritium had faded too much by this year. It was very faint. For now my LL Bean Self-Illuminating Sports watch will pull vacation duty. Although I never took the plastic off I could see the Railroader was very well finished. Ultimately, I returned it.

Now I can start a new search for my permanent Ball Watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Ball Railroader Diver

Ha! That's a cool find. Where did you find that? Yeah, the tritium goes out. Last year I purchased a new old stock Spacemaster Glow. The tritium was already fading. It was legible at night, but very faint. The tube in the lume pip was completely useless. I recently purchased an Airborne that glowed like crazy at night. Ball has some really obscure models that pop up here and there. Probably one of the reasons that they cant hold value. They just have so many dang models...Cool find though.

Here is the Airborne at night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Leon O likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twofaston2 View Post
    Ha! That's a cool find. Where did you find that? Yeah, the tritium goes out. Last year I purchased a new old stock Spacemaster Glow. The tritium was already fading. It was legible at night, but very faint. The tube in the lume pip was completely useless. I recently purchased an Airborne that glowed like crazy at night. Ball has some really obscure models that pop up here and there. Probably one of the reasons that they cant hold value. They just have so many dang models...Cool find though.

Here is the Airborne at night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    That's glow I should go after. I found the Railroader on the big auction site. Same seller also offers it on Amazon. Having learned it was an old model I expected the tritium to have faded some, but it was harder to read than I expected. It's a nice watch for someone who does not need lume.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 on the ll bean. I bought one a few weeks ago while I wait for a railmaster. I never knew ball did quartz but now that I do I'm going to put one on the must have list!!
    Leon O likes this.

DP

Quote Originally Posted by wickets View Post
    DP
    The diver comes in blue (above), black and white. There was also a non-diver good to 10 ATM. I suspect any Railroaders available now, will have faded tritium lume. If nightime lume is important to you, you should ask the vendor to check the brightness before committing to its purchase.

At 40mm with a wide bezel, the Railroader Diver seemed small enough to work well with a suit. Through the plastic, the blue seemed to be a versatile dark, inky shade of blue. Also, the parts that were not covered with plastic seemed to have a nicely brushed finish.

I have not YET seen a more current Ball to state whether the quality seemed comparable.

Just to explain, I never took the watch off the pillow in the event the glow had faded too much and I was going to return it. That is why my comments above reference the plastic.

cool vintage design, reminds me of Marathon's tritium military watches.
    Omega Seamaster Pro 2351.80
    Ball Fireman Racer DLC