Ball Roadmaster Challenger M COSC and Watch Winder settings
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ball Roadmaster Challenger M COSC and Watch Winder settings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ball Roadmaster Challenger M COSC and Watch Winder settings

Before I contact Ball with a potential warranty issue with my Roadmaster Challenger M watch, I wanted to get some suggestions on resolving an accuracy issue I'm experiencing.
    I have a Wolf Watch Winder Module 2.7 that I can program from 300-1200 TPD in CW, CCW and BOTH directions. Currently I have 3 Balls loaded in the winder and all are set to 600TPD and CW rotation. The Ball Skindiver II and Ball DQ are perfectly happy and accurate with 600TPD CW. The Roadmaster lately will loose hours over the course of a week or so in the winder. I've seen this issue occur now twice since I purchased the watch.
    So my questions are: 1. Does anyone know the recommended TPD settings for the COSC 7309 Caliber?
    2. Has anyone seen this type of behavior with the COSC 7309 Caliber?

Thanks in advance

Re: Ball Roadmaster Challenger M COSC and Watch Winder settings

Quote Originally Posted by gilberca View Post
    Before I contact Ball with a potential warranty issue with my Roadmaster Challenger M watch, I wanted to get some suggestions on resolving an accuracy issue I'm experiencing.
    I have a Wolf Watch Winder Module 2.7 that I can program from 300-1200 TPD in CW, CCW and BOTH directions. Currently I have 3 Balls loaded in the winder and all are set to 600TPD and CW rotation. The Ball Skindiver II and Ball DQ are perfectly happy and accurate with 600TPD CW. The Roadmaster lately will loose hours over the course of a week or so in the winder. I've seen this issue occur now twice since I purchased the watch.
    So my questions are: 1. Does anyone know the recommended TPD settings for the COSC 7309 Caliber?

Thanks in advance
    They just worked on a Engineer II, Green Berets for me. Here is the repair contact info, [email protected]
    I don't have too many watches! I have too few wrists!

Thanks in advance
    I don't have experience with that particular movement, but a couple of rather obvious questions. First, how a watch works on a winder really doesn't count all that much, nor warrant, contacting a manufacturer, other than to confirm rotation settings--the real question here is, has the watch ever run down while actually wearing it on a normal basis? If so, then (and only then) is a call warranted. Second, since a watch runs down because it is not getting enough winds, in totem, or in the correct direction, why not simply experiment by changing the winder settings for the watch that is having problems?
    Nokie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi @gilberca, I am a firm believer of watch winders. The older Ball Watches are all based on ETA movements and are re-worked therefore a total turns per day (TPD) of 600/650 TPD might suffice to get enough charge on a watch which is 40 hours PR. The newer Ball watch have an 80 hour power reserve and it takes more winding to get the charge in. The issue you described are symptomatic of insufficient winding/PR. The watch hasn’t lost time, it has stopped because of no PR and when the winder starts, it is running and then runs down again when the winder rests.

Reason is that the lower TPD means that there are long periods when it is not winding and the watch is using up its power reserve. It can power down if the TPD is set too low and it isn’t enough to wind the watch sufficiently in between intervals.

What you should do to verify if your watch is working properly is to do this:

1) manually wind it completely & make sure you take note of how many turns on the crown until the clutch slips;

2) let it stand without further winding and see if you have a full 80 hour power reserve;

3) if it has 80 hours PR, wind it up half the number of turns you took on step 1 to get the full wind and put it on your watch winder;

4) set to 800 or 900 TPD. I don’t have a Wolf but mine can only do 950 so you need to select the closest you can get.

If problem goes away, all good, else seek warranty as it could be that the rotor is not engaged on the winding mechanism but this is unlikely seeing that your watch has some PR.

Do this and tell us how it goes.
    Nokie, gilberca and tumbler like this.

^^^^

Excellent suggestions.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Hi @gilberca, I am a firm believer of watch winders. The older Ball Watches are all based on ETA movements and are re-worked therefore a total turns per day (TPD) of 600/650 TPD might suffice to get enough charge on a watch which is 40 hours PR. The newer Ball watch have an 80 hour power reserve and it takes more winding to get the charge in. The issue you described are symptomatic of insufficient winding/PR. The watch hasn’t lost time, it has stopped because of no PR and when the winder starts, it is running and then runs down again when the winder rests.

Reason is that the lower TPD means that there are long periods when it is not winding and the watch is using up its power reserve. It can power down if the TPD is set too low and it isn’t enough to wind the watch sufficiently in between intervals.

What you should do to verify if your watch is working properly is to do this:

1) manually wind it completely & make sure you take note of how many turns on the crown until the clutch slips;

2) let it stand without further winding and see if you have a full 80 hour power reserve;

3) if it has 80 hours PR, wind it up half the number of turns you took on step 1 to get the full wind and put it on your watch winder;

4) set to 800 or 900 TPD. I don’t have a Wolf but mine can only do 950 so you need to select the closest you can get.

If problem goes away, all good, else seek warranty as it could be that the rotor is not engaged on the winding mechanism but this is unlikely seeing that your watch has some PR.

Do this and tell us how it goes.
    Thank you for the sage advice.
    I'll be sure to post how the testing goes.
    In the meantime, I sent an inquiry off to Ball asking if they had recommended settings for the 7309 caliber.
    Dogbert_is_fat likes this.

Thank you for the sage advice.
    I'll be sure to post how the testing goes.
    In the meantime, I sent an inquiry off to Ball asking if they had recommended settings for the 7309 caliber.
    You are welcome and I hope you can solve your problem. Do share with us your findings so others may also learn. Thanks!

Hi @gilberca, just for your future reference, Orbita has a very good look up table that you can use for your future watch purchases. This is not just for Ball Watches as they cover all brands too. Link is here.

https://www.orbita.com/winder-support/?sw=b&fl=true

I alternate 650 CW + CCW for all my COSC and non COSC ETA and Selita based movements. This is also Wolf's reccomedation for these calibers. Ball suggests 650 CW but I don't necessarily agree.
    Dogbert_is_fat and gilberca like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwatch View Post
    I alternate 650 CW + CCW for all my COSC and non COSC ETA and Selita based movements. This is also Wolf's reccomedation for these calibers. Ball suggests 650 CW but I don't necessarily agree.
    Good point @mjwatch. I think all Ball Watches are bi-directional winding except those chrono watches using the 7750 movement which will be only CW.
    mjwatch likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information