Ball Skin Diver Bezel's Lume falling off!!?!?

Thread: Ball Skin Diver Bezel's Lume falling off!!?!?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Traveling to Europe where it is relatively colder than where I live. Just noticed today (what a nice Christmas surprise) that some of the Lume on the bezel are missing (see red arrows); it seems that it is the longer 5 minute markers though not all. This watch is only 1 month old and it has never got hit on anything whatsoever; not a scratch as you can see. It was perfect when I picked it up (I am very sure since I triple check all of my new watches before handing over the card). Very disappointed on this; will have to go back to AD after the holiday. And Ball was one of my highly praised brand since I had 3 of them with no issues at all. Sigh...

Anyone else has the same issue?

Name:  20141225_200516.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  269.1 KB

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: Ball Skin Diver Bezel's Lume falling off!!?!?

Mine never had an issue after years of wear. An exception that can will be remedied under warranty.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

This is when I first got it. I must say Ball is still one of the best value out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Lucky for you, a bezel is an easy warranty. I agree - still a great value. Keep your chin up!

Bad QC. But happens to all brands from time to time. One more pip n it will look balanced ;D

i'm sure the svc center will take care of that within a few weeks. Cheers!

I'm reasonably certain this has nothing to do with Ball QC. The watch was fine as delivered so apparently it passed all visual inspections for a few months. I have a few watches that got dings in them when I was wearing them and I don't remember them banging into anything so it may have impacted something that the OP just does not remember. I took my Skindiver on a month long trip to Asia including a week in the jungle in Cambodia and all I needed to retouch was a few scratches on the clasp. While it is possible that the chemistry of the lume on the OP watch is flawed and delaminated based on the multiple Ball watches I've owned with lumed ceramic bezels. I'm more inclined to believe some physical contact was involved, but there are thousands of thing that could possibly break the chemical bond. It may be possible it was exposed to something that broke the bond. I don't know how to improve the chemical process without knowing the variables. I guess temperature can't be ruled out but I'm not seeing temperature extremes being indicated. On the physical side I guess I was lucky for most of mine since they never had a mark when mine had contact. Over 35 years of collecting also has thought me that hard hits cannot be judged by not having all the physics details. Seemingly light hits cause damage and hard bangs get off with no marks seem to happen all the time. The other thing is to never rule out anything.
    Last edited by samanator; December 28th, 2014 at 23:27.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

There are also other options, such as contacted Ken Parks about getting the bezel re-lumed, if the watch was not already covered under warranty.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I doubt conventional lume would bind to ceramic. This is a Ball proprietary process to make this work.
    Last edited by samanator; December 28th, 2014 at 23:29.
    Michael

I thought warranty was limited to the movement good to know it also covers other aspects of the watch as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by clarken; December 29th, 2014 at 01:11.

I wore this watch only a handful of time and it is only 1 month old. It is not possible to hit the watch at 3 different area of the besel only to knock off that particular lume without hitting any other lume around it. And when this happened I was in Italy where it is relatively cold, so this watch was under layers of clothing. Ball have to take this in as warranty. It is 100% defective, not damage due to impact. If you zoom-in the picture you can see, no nick, no scratch.

Edit: Second picture is when I first got it in November 2014. First pic Dec 2014.
    Last edited by xvfasttrip; January 2nd, 2015 at 01:31.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information