Ball Stormchaser Pro, or Magneto S or Tudor Heritage Chrono (THC)?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ball Stormchaser Pro, or Magneto S or Tudor Heritage Chrono (THC)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ball Stormchaser Pro, or Magneto S or Tudor Heritage Chrono (THC)?

Need a daily wearer on the sportier side. Thinking about getting the Stormchaser Pro on the strap. Also intrigued by the new Magneto S and the Tudor Heritage Chrono. Don't need the chrono, but like that it adds some sportiness to the pieces. Do need a date complication. On the Stormchaser Pro, I'm not crazy about the OEM strap. Just think it is trying too hard with the color and is not sophisticated enough. I think I would like an all black rallye strap or the mesh strap on the Magneto S. Has anybody put the Stormchaser Pro on a new strap? Please post if you have. Like all of the dials on the Stormchaser Pro, but lean towards the black with white subdials. As for the Magneto S, there is a lot of good stuff there but I can't decide if it is too gimmicky. Finally, the Tudor -- nice watch with beautiful bracelet and WR to 150 m with screw down crown and pushers, but it seems a bit chunkier and heavier than the Balls, and because of the lug design is not nearly as easy to fit with an after market strap as the others because it leaves a huge gap between the strap and the case. The biggest question is which will have the most "staying" power. Here, I'm concerned that the Stormchaser Pro may fall into the category of fun now, but dated later. Thoughts?

Re: Ball Stormchaser Pro, or Magneto S or Tudor Heritage Chrono (THC)?

You list three very different watches.

Best advice I can give you is to see these watches in person and put them on - I think the right one will be obvious to you and sell itself.

I have seen the grey dial Stormchaser Pro and was very impressed - certainly dressier than the first gen, but still sporty. The Tudor is a tank and it is a re-do from the seventies - so "staying power" is relative to your likes .....I mean, ask yourself do you like to look at it now, and like it enough to want to look at it ten or so years down the road? I have a 20 year old TAG that i still really like the looks of and wear it on occasion (even though it appears a bit smaller by today's sizing).

I personally like how the Stormchaser dial pushes out to the edge of the case more than the other models - less bezel - but that's MY likes ....may not be yours.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three for daily wear watches - they are all quite nice. (And as you mentioned , strap changes can really change the looks).

Happy hunting.

Bill

In this 3 choice, I voted for stomechaser
    Ball Hydrocarbon Magnet Chronograph,
    Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 46mm,
    Seiko Monster 2nd Gen SRP315j1 (Diy lume bezel),
    Seiko Land Monster SNM037,
    Seiko Mini Monster SRP483k1

Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 47 Handwind Bronze,
    Meranez Bangle Brass (Carlifonia Dail)44mm,
    Helson Shark Brass 45mm SKU SD45 RMBKO.
    Ventus morri Brass Diver (Singapore Special Edition),
    Citizen Promaster Eco Drive BN0176,
    Pontvs Nessi le 02/300.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TAYHAS and watchnbuy -- thanks for the input. I agree that the grey dial of the Stormchaser Pro is nice, but it seems to reflect a lot of light -- making more difficult to read the dial than the black or even white. I like the white dial, but prefer white dials with SS bracelets, and don't like the look as much with a black strap. On that point, how do you guys think the Stormchaser Pro would look with the new mesh/nylon/cordura strap used on the Magneto S, or the rubber strap used on the Fireman DLC with black (not orange) numerals. (Just think the OEM strap has too much orange). Because the Stormchaser Pro is 21 mm, the options are limited, but both of these are 21 mm. Thoughts?

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

From these I suggest the SCPro in white or Grey. I did send you some alternatives and more details in reply to your PM.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

dberg,

Let me throw this one at you....

Take a look at the Ball for BMW sport straps. They are black with leather / rubber combo with sporty window cut-outs and diamond cross-cut texture, and a killer deployant.

And all in a nifty 21mm. size! Very light and pliable right out of the box.

It might be a sharp set up with a Stormchaser, whatever dial you choose.

Bill

Good call TAYHAS -- does anybody know if Ball makes a deployment that can be used with existing tang style straps?

Why YES THEY DO as a matter of fact!

Just got one for my Cannonball brown croc strap, which I believe is a 21mm. as well.

And it is nice.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dberg View Post
    Good call TAYHAS -- does anybody know if Ball makes a deployment that can be used with existing tang style straps?
    Look at my pics of the Sportman, it has the Ball deployant.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by dberg View Post
    Need a daily wearer on the sportier side. Thinking about getting the Stormchaser Pro on the strap. Also intrigued by the new Magneto S and the Tudor Heritage Chrono. Don't need the chrono, but like that it adds some sportiness to the pieces. Do need a date complication. On the Stormchaser Pro, I'm not crazy about the OEM strap. Just think it is trying too hard with the color and is not sophisticated enough. I think I would like an all black rallye strap or the mesh strap on the Magneto S. Has anybody put the Stormchaser Pro on a new strap? Please post if you have. Like all of the dials on the Stormchaser Pro, but lean towards the black with white subdials. As for the Magneto S, there is a lot of good stuff there but I can't decide if it is too gimmicky. Finally, the Tudor -- nice watch with beautiful bracelet and WR to 150 m with screw down crown and pushers, but it seems a bit chunkier and heavier than the Balls, and because of the lug design is not nearly as easy to fit with an after market strap as the others because it leaves a huge gap between the strap and the case. The biggest question is which will have the most "staying" power. Here, I'm concerned that the Stormchaser Pro may fall into the category of fun now, but dated later. Thoughts?
    I've got a Stormchaser Pro. Been waiting around to find another owner for ages. There doesn't seem to be a lot of owners on WUS.
    Anyway, here are my thoughts, I got the STC Pro on the bracelet, but ironically haven't been using the bracelet at all. But not because I don't think it looks good on the bracelet, but because i don't like desk-diving marks on the bracelet, also because the weather is hot now in Australia, wearing the bracelet will just muck it up.

My STC Pro is predominantly on a thick canvas strap to dress it down. I've also got a leather strap that I use occasionally for dressier events.
    Many people think that my canvas strap is worth a lot more than it really is.
    When I tell people the strap costs $6 from eBay their first reaction is to gawk.

I used to love the Tudor Heritage Chrono, but looking at it up close, the dial seems a bit too cartoonish for me. For sportiness I'd definitely go with the Ball.
    Hope it helps in your decision!

Name:  20141021_141219.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  810.7 KBName:  20150115_192029.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  1.37 MBName:  20150203_091357.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  1.19 MB
    ten13th and 1911JB like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information