Ball Trainmaster 60 Seconds Watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jefred

Thread: Ball Trainmaster 60 Seconds Watch

Ball Trainmaster 60 Seconds Watch

Iím writing this post because I want to find out as much as I can about the Ball Trainmaster 60 Seconds Watch Model: NM1058D-S3J-WH - White Dial - SS Bracelet. Iíve tried to find out when it was made but it appears to just have gone out of production not too long ago and there are still new ones floating around but not too many. I can only find one guy on ebay selling the watch from Spain and he has some negative remarks which makes me leary of him as a seller. Most places Iíve checked no longer carry this watch so it may take awhile for me to find one but I want to find out more about this watch before making a purchase.

The watch itself has everything that I wanted in a daily wear watch, Day & Date, a white dial for easy viewing in low light and a Montgomery style watch dial that shows the minutes. On top of that it has tritium gas tubes that makes it easier to read low light and at night. The watch specs says that the watch is 41mm in size but it isnít always clear where these measurements are made, on the case or does this include the crown? Many times they will let you know.

So my question to any of you who actually own this watch is this; how easy is it to see the small the numbers that show the minutes? And most importantly how do you like the watch? Any other relevant information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I joined a number of years ago (I forgot really) and havenít been active in any watch forum because of my finances and health reasons. Lately I came across a small but not insignificant inheritance and decided to splurge and a Ball watch or two. This is why Iím going to become more active in the forums.

I just bought, but have not received yet, a Ball Trainmaster 21st Century Watch model NM2058D-LJ-BK. Itís a limited edition of 250 pieces.

Lastly, anyone who has input into these watches, even if you donít own them, would be welcome by me. To me it is the holy grail of watches just because of the highly functional dail. I have watches where you canít even read the day and date without a magnifying glass or I should say, I canít read them without a magnifying glass. If this watch works out for me, it will be the daily wearer I use for a long, long time. Cheers!

Re: Ball Trainmaster 60 Seconds Watch

Hi, Welcome to the forum. I have owned just about every Trainmaster made, including the 21st C and both the original version of the 60 Seconds (date only, 38mm case) and the more recent version (day and date--the one you are referring to)--most of the recent Trainmasters come in 41mm cases, excluding the crown, including this one. The 60 Seconds version that you are interested in has been around for the last 6 to 8 years, and has only recently been discontinued. It is one of their best, and the only reason I sold mine is that I have another traditional style Trainmaster, the Flying Scotsman, and don't need two similar vintage styled watches. Of the two iterations of the 60 Seconds, I actually like the first one better, as it is a bit less cluttered, and a bit smaller, which I kind of like--however, these are hard to find of course, since they predate the one you are talking about. THe minute numerals are of course tiny--whether you can see them clearly or not depends on how good your eyesight is--for me, a bit too small, and thus, not really necessary. Honestly, though, I would wait until you received your 21st C, which is also a great watch, very unique--once in hand, then you can decide more clearly which direction to take next, I think. If you are talking about Iguana (Spanish seller), avoid them--they are expensive--with patience, the new version 60 Seconds pops up on the bay fairly often at much better prices. There is also a titanium case version of the first generation model that is worth looking into as well. Good luck!
    Less is More...

Timefleas, thanks for the quick and informative reply and nice introduction. As far as liking theses watches I have a number of watches and many Orient watches including a Orient Star Retrograde Automatic which, by the way, are one of the most underrated watches on the market in my opinion. You wonít find a finer watch of that caliber in the $400.00 range.

I have always liked the Ball brand because of the dials primarily. Because the watch I just bought uses the Ball Calibre RR2701 which uses the ubiquitous ETA caliber 2892-A2 there are many watch choices using this movement. Iím buying the Ball watch because I like the watch dials, cases and of course the tritium gas tubes.

I think you made a good suggestion on waiting until I got my watch which I planned on doing anyway. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned Iguana because that is who I was referring to. The watch I got I bought from a well known source for $1,045.00 out the door while the same watch from the seller you mentioned was $3,625.00. a difference of $2,580.00.

Another thing Iíd like to mention is the fact that Ball is starting to make some of the movements in-house now but you probably already know this. The new new in-house Caliber 7309. It will be interesting house this new movement performs.

I think itís also important to point out that I try to buy limited editions if the price is right and I like the watch. I donít know what it is about limited editions but they seem to hold their value well when compared to other similar watches from the same manufacturer.
    Timefleas, thanks for the quick and informative reply and nice introduction. As far as liking theses watches I have a number of watches and many Orient watches including a Orient Star Retrograde Automatic which, by the way, are one of the most underrated watches on the market in my opinion. You wonít find a finer watch of that caliber in the $400.00 range.

I have always liked the Ball brand because of the dials primarily. Because the watch I just bought uses the Ball Calibre RR2701 which uses the ubiquitous ETA caliber 2892-A2 there are many watch choices using this movement. Iím buying the Ball watch because I like the watch dials, cases and of course the tritium gas tubes.

I think you made a good suggestion on waiting until I got my watch which I planned on doing anyway. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned Iguana because that is who I was referring to. The watch I got I bought from a well known source for $1,045.00 out the door while the same watch from the seller you mentioned was $3,625.00. a difference of $2,580.00.

Another thing Iíd like to mention is the fact that Ball is starting to make some of the movements in-house now but you probably already know this. The new new in-house Caliber 7309. It will be interesting house this new movement performs.

I think itís also important to point out that I try to buy limited editions if the price is right and I like the watch. I donít know what it is about limited editions but they seem to hold their value well when compared to other similar watches from the same manufacturer.
    timefleas and Nokie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You are pointed in the right direction. Ball makes very nice and underrated watches. I

I have an Orient Star Seeker GMT, so I know what you mean in terms of price vs quality for that brand.

Ball is even better, IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy your watches.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Gnomon (gnomonwatches.com) have the Trainmaster 60 seconds listed as in stock for US $1399 on leather strap.

I've no experience of that model but I bought my Trainmaster Standard Time 135 Anniversary and Roadmaster Raffles from Gnomon and would happily buy from them again.
    Ball - Casio - Citizen - Geckota - G-Shock - Laco - Melbourne - Poljot International - Red Star - Seagull - Seiko - Tissot - Victorinox - Vostok - Zelos

AardnoldArrdvark, thanks for the information and link. I was surprised actually. I don't want to sound picky but I'm really looking for a SS bracelet and I believe I'll find one. I am looking for a new watch and I know that I'll pay a little more money but I'm willing to pay the extra money.

As a side note I was locked out of here for some reason and the message that came up said that I had an invalid password. I use Google Chrome password saving feature and I haven't had this problem before. Hopefully, it's all straightened out. Thanks again for looking out for me, it was very much appreciated. Cheers from Anaheim.

AardnoldArrdvark, thanks for the information and link. I was surprised actually. I don't want to sound picky but I'm really looking for a SS bracelet and I believe I'll find one. I am looking for a new watch and I know that I'll pay a little more money but I'm willing to pay the extra money.

As a side note I was locked out of here for some reason and the message that came up said that I had an invalid password. I use Google Chrome password saving feature and I haven't had this problem before. Hopefully, it's all straightened out. Thanks again for looking out for me, it was very much appreciated. Cheers from Anaheim.

Quote Originally Posted by jefred View Post

No worries; good hunting!
    Ball - Casio - Citizen - Geckota - G-Shock - Laco - Melbourne - Poljot International - Red Star - Seagull - Seiko - Tissot - Victorinox - Vostok - Zelos

Thread Information