Ball Trainmaster Legend - black or gray?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 14060
  • 1 Post By timefleas
  • 1 Post By Nokie

Thread: Ball Trainmaster Legend - black or gray?

Ball Trainmaster Legend - black or gray?

I did something a little unusual (for me at least, but maybe not unusual for other WISs) because I saw two versions of the same watch available at a good sales price that was ending: I bought both. They are the Ball Trainmaster Legend with the black dial and the other with the gray/anthracite dial. Both are on the OEM stainless bracelet. They have not arrived yet, but I plan to keep one and resell the other. This will be my first Ball watch.

In darker lighting, I suspect they will look almost identical, while the gray will look brighter in direct sunlight.

Any thoughts on which looks sharper or is more versatile, the black or the gray version? I have seen the gray dial on a dark brown alligator strap and think that would be a nice change of pace option. Not sure how the black would look on a similar leather strap.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. (These pictures are not mine.)

The gray dial:

Name:  Ballgray.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  56.9 KB

The black dial:

Name:  Ballblack.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  389.8 KB

Re: Ball Trainmaster Legend - black or gray?

Generally black is a more versatile color than gray. For a small collection I would pick black and for a larger collection gray.
    VaEagle likes this.

I personally own the grey dial version. Its a nice change from a black dial watch and it has a bit more character... Can't really go wrong with either though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Black gets my vote only because i think it will be easier to read time with the black

Quote Originally Posted by 14060 View Post
    Generally black is a more versatile color than gray. For a small collection I would pick black and for a larger collection gray.
    I agree... since I already have a black dial, I would pick the gray.

All great points, thanks.

Black dials are quite common, while gray dials are relatively unusual--neither is any more versatile than the other--it is the style of the watch that dictates versatility, with the Legend of any color leaning towards a dress watch. I have owned both a gray dial Cleveland Express (same gray as yours) and a black one as well, and the gray was far more eye-catching, as well as unique. Similarly, I had a gray dial "Jubilee" version of the Sinn 556, as well as the black version--the black looked quite ordinary, while the gray, extraordinary. Keep the black if you want safe, keep the gray if you want something off the usual beaten track.
    VaEagle likes this.

I am also looking hard at the grey dial as there is a great price on one right now.

You did the correct thing when in doubt....buy both.

Very nice.
    VaEagle likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

So the gray dial Ball Trainmaster Legend arrived on this honey brown alligator strap that was included in the package. I have the OEM stainless bracelet on the way too, but also like the watch on this light brown strap more than I anticipated. I had only seen this dial on darker brown straps before.

Feel free to comment yea or nay on the honey brown alligator strap. I have a darker brown alligator strap and the OEM stainless coming, so they'll all have some time with this watch.

Name:  BallTrain.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  62.3 KB

Well I received both watches and cannot believe how much I like both of them. But keeping both of them would be foolish since I could spend the money from the second watch on a completely different watch ... or do something crazy, like save for my children's college education.

In the end, I decided to keep the gray dial version because I find it to be just a touch more unique, although I agree with the comments above that the black dial may be more versatile and classic.

Anyone interested, I just posted the black dial version on the sales forum. Thanks for all the advice!

Thread Information