Ball watch comparison
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ball watch comparison

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ball watch comparison

I'm curious how ball stacks up with the likes of Sinn Damasko or watches in the similar price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ball watch comparison

Since you asked a question without any specifics or parameters, I will answer in like manner: I've owned a Sinn or two, a couple of Damasko and many a Ball, and Ball beats them all--for MY PURPOSES.

Did you have some particular areas you wanted to focus on, such as night time legibility, accuracy, range of offerings, quality of service...? With some basic guidelines, I think we can provide some more useful responses.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Since you asked a question without any specifics or parameters, I will answer in like manner: I've owned a Sinn or two, a couple of Damasko and many a Ball, and Ball beats them all--for MY PURPOSES.

Did you have some particular areas you wanted to focus on, such as night time legibility, accuracy, range of offerings, quality of service...? With some basic guidelines, I think we can provide some more useful responses.
    I should have elaborated I know the lume is great on ball as I own the Nedu blue dial and the discontinued moonglow also blue dial. I was curious more about accuracy and case finish which I can attest ball does a good job on that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The German watch forum has threads on Sinn and Damasko accuracy if I remember right when I was considering one of them. I have three Ball watches. The two which are chronometers keep time within 1s/d. The elabore movement watch, the TM Power Reserve is +2 to 3s/d after it was properly regulated locally. I like the wide range of Ball watches, from the most conservative gold Board Room variety to extreme adventure types.

I think Sinn, Damasko and Ball all produce superbly finished watches, with Damasko and Ball very fairly priced--great bang for the buck--while Sinn is a bit pricey for what you get.

As for accuracy, since I have only had a couple of Sinn and two or three Damaskos, anything I said there would be anecdotal and not suggestive of any patterns (but all were accurate within a +/-10 sec/day range). On the other hand, I have owned more than 50 Ball watches, so here I can make a slightly more informed observation. I am sure you will get a few replies here attesting to the "spot on" accuracy of the Ball watch(es) that they own--I have had a few like that. And, I have had many operate well within COSC (+/-6/day) though most were not actually COSC certified watches. And, I have had a few that were outside that, but within Ball's general tolerance limits of +/-15/day. None of the 50 have ever been worse than that, save one or two that were magnetized, but once demagnetized, operated within those parameters.

Ball makes a good, solid accurate watch. So do Sinn and Damasko, for that matter. But all that, and tritium tubes, and a much more diverse offering of styles, and Ball takes the cake every time, when compared to not only Sinn and Damasko, but a lot of other watch companies as well.

Peter
    Last edited by timefleas; September 8th, 2014 at 02:52.
    Syn004 likes this.

Each brand has it's own merits, so I think it comes down to what you want and need a watch for.

Ball watches are great quality as the other German brands are as well, so for me it is a personal preference.

I have at least one of each and find them all to be an enjoyment to wear.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Hey timefleas, i actually posed this question in another thread, the question being is -10s/day acceptable for a ball engineer gmt ii watch. Since you owned more than 50 ball you are the person to answer this. It may not be COSC certified but it should be able to perform even better. I am hesitant about having someone servicing or adjusting the watch, i am under the impression that if you needn't open the watch then you shouldn't, what's your take on that. While we are at it, i am looking for a leather strap, probably calfskin, for my engineer, any suggestions. Thanks, cheers.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Your watch is in spec for the movement type. As others have said you can probably get it regulated to within COSC spec. I would wait until you need service to have that done at the same time.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by kkalogia View Post
    Hey timefleas, i actually posed this question in another thread, the question being is -10s/day acceptable for a ball engineer gmt ii watch. Since you owned more than 50 ball you are the person to answer this. It may not be COSC certified but it should be able to perform even better. I am hesitant about having someone servicing or adjusting the watch, i am under the impression that if you needn't open the watch then you shouldn't, what's your take on that. While we are at it, i am looking for a leather strap, probably calfskin, for my engineer, any suggestions. Thanks, cheers.
    Hi,
    I think Michael (Samanator) answered the regulation issue well enough--if it isn't broke, don't fix it--and yes 10 secs/day is within tolerances for your GMT. These are automatic watches after all, and they will almost always be a little bit off the mark, though of course we all enjoy those rare exceptions when their come our way. I would leave it the way it is, and a few years down the road, get it serviced, and regulated at that time.

As for calf straps, my favorite maker for these are done by Peter Gunny (search Gunny straps on the web)--he has great leather, great designs, good prices, and does great custom work--he can make anything you want the way you want it. There are other excellent makers as well, but I would go with Gunny myself.

Peter
    Last edited by timefleas; September 8th, 2014 at 17:26.
    kkalogia and Syn004 like this.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate your taking the time to answer. Will look into the gunny straps also. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information