Ball Watch Service/Overhaul and Cleaning

Thread: Ball Watch Service/Overhaul and Cleaning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ball Watch Service/Overhaul and Cleaning

I bought a Ball watch from an owner about a year ago and the watch has been EXCELLENT until recently. It started to speed up and slow down. Basically the time was all over the place. I took the watch to my local AD and the price quoted for an overhaul/cleaning was $300.

1. Has anyone else had the same issue?

2. Does the price quote sound right?

Thanks!

Re: Ball Watch Service/Overhaul and Cleaning

$300 seems a little steep for any of the basic ETA movements. If it's a chrono then that is about the right price.

TMW

It all depends on the work being done. Is it just the movement? Polishing of the case? I think you need to ask some more questions.

It could be a matter of regulation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. The watch is not a chronograph. It resembles an Engineer II Arabic watch SS bracelet with black face. I suspect it is an older model because the bracelet is unlike anything they are selling now. I would take a picture and post but I left the watch at the dealer. $300 just sounds steep to me.

What should I do? These folks are the only AD in the Washington DC area and I don't want to take it to anyone who is not familiar with the movement. If I don't have a good way ahead by Tuesday, I will try to call the company and see what they say.

Any other suggestions? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tailorrmade View Post
    Thanks. The watch is not a chronograph. It resembles an Engineer II Arabic watch SS bracelet with black face. I suspect it is an older model because the bracelet is unlike anything they are selling now. I would take a picture and post but I left the watch at the dealer. $300 just sounds steep to me.

What should I do? These folks are the only AD in the Washington DC area and I don't want to take it to anyone who is not familiar with the movement. If I don't have a good way ahead by Tuesday, I will try to call the company and see what they say.

Any other suggestions? . . .
    lets establish how it is keeping time first.

wind it 30-40 times and time it against an atomic clock or time.gov. I know Obie says this a lot but it can't be over emphasized. You need an established time source and you need to check it against that.

see how the watch performs on your wrist. If you are not overly active, give it another 30-40 turns the next day. You want the movement to be well wound to get the most accurate results.

Then you can start leaving the watch fully wound crown right, crown left, dial down, etc to truly get some results.

when you say the time is all over the place, what range are we talking about?

how old is the watch. an ETA should be able to go at least 5-6 years before needing full service.

and don't forget, if it does need full service, you can always contact Ball Watch.

keep us posted.
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Thanks

I will keep you posted. I can tell you though, I went to bed one saturday night and woke up to begin my day one full hour earlier than I should have based on the watch. (The watch was fast) so I se the watch, wound it and it was slow. After about 12 hours the watch was behind about an hour. I don't know exactly how old the watch is but I would suspect around 5 years. I have only had it for one year, however.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks all!

TMW

Scott - good advice.

tailormade - good luck and keep us informed on what is up.

Now, for a second opinion or view - you should definetly contact Ball Customer Service.

Now to give you an idea on service...rolex service costs are around 350 these days - full movement work, case polishing, etc. --- it comes back looking like a new watch. that is why I am asking.

Do the checks as Scott advised, and I think you will learn more about what is really going on. Keeping it fully wound and active is the best way to determine.

Even a watch on a winder needs 30 to 40 winds every so often.

WOW...that sounds much more serious than I thought it would be tailorrmade.

I'd make my Ball Watch my first phonecall in the am. They are a magnificent group of people to deal with and as you are on the borderline of full service based just on time, and for sure, based on performance, I'd give my watch to it's creators for a little spa treatment.

Your watch will come back looking and running brand new and you will be able to cross off your worry list for the next 7 years or so.

Plz keep us posted...I am sure everything will turn out just great!
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Banned

"It resembles..." hmmm....Ok, let's say it is an Engineer II. I would not preform a COA for less than $300. I see someone says they expect Rolex for $350, but not in Houston and not using all genuine Rolex parts. Parts cost have more than doubled in the past two years for Swiss parts accounts. My applitude meter is a $16,000 timing insturment, rent, insurance, ect, ect, ect...

Now, my best advice is to call Damir at Ball Watch USA and let them tune it up. I do not have parts, they do. Let them set it back to factory standards and enjoy it.

All the best,

Tony

My watch is a Trainmaster Arabic Chronometer. I had no idea that these watches had the following that they do when I bought it so I apologize for not knowing the model name. It works for me for what I need it to do. To tell you the truth, my path to Ball is a little unique. I am in the military and was deployed to Iraq in 2004 and 2005. My primary watch was a Luminox and the tritium dials really made a difference. When I returned, I decided to look for other brands that offered tritium dials. I stumbled across Ball. The tritium dials that form the numbers make a difference to me, allowing me to see the time at night. It's stylish, it's functional, it's mine and I love it!

So . . .

I called Ball this morning and spoke with Jerry (I think) . . . He gave me a few things to try and if they don't work, he tells me to send it to them and they will "tune it up" for $220. I think this is the best option for me.

I am going to pick the watch up from the dealer tomorrow and when I do, I will take pics and post them for all to see.

thanks all . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information