Ball Watch toughness

Thread: Ball Watch toughness

Question Ball Watch toughness

Has there been any feedback on Ball watches regarding their "toughness"? I ask because I just purchased a Ball pretty much based upon that "reputation". I have two other mechanical watches that have been borked from my own daily rough wearing. Upon opening both watches, one an ETA 2824, the other an ETA 2893, the hairspring had jumped out of the curb pins of both. On one watch, I've attempted to carefully place the hairspring back, but there is so much resistance, I fear I'll break it. Which leads me to ask how it came out of the regulator in the first place!

I've since learned to take my watch off if I think its going to be subjected to undo forces. But then again, one should not have to be constantly aware of their watch. Ball touts a 5000 G. rating, but what does that mean in the real world? Impulse wise? From what I understand, the human body can even handle 5000 G's, as long as it's not for long (milliseconds).

A golf drive on Saturday morning?
    A hammer-drill on the job site?
    Slamming your fist down during a board meeting?

Just wondering.
    Last edited by CbusRog; September 4th, 2007 at 09:53. Reason: Technical update

Re: Ball Watch toughness

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRog View Post
    Has there been any feedback on Ball watches regarding their "toughness"? I ask because I just purchased a Ball pretty much based upon that "reputation". I have two other mechanical watches that have been borked from my own daily rough wearing. Upon opening both watches, one an ETA 2824, the other an ETA 2893, the hairspring had jumped out of the curb pins of both. On one watch, I've attempted to carefully place the hairspring back, but there is so much resistance, I fear I'll break it. Which leads me to ask how it came out of the regulator in the first place!

I've since learned to take my watch off if I think its going to be subjected to undo forces. But then again, one should not have to be constantly aware of their watch. Ball touts a 5000 G. rating, but what does that mean in the real world? Impulse wise? From what I understand, the human body can even handle 5000 G's, as long as it's not for long (milliseconds).

A golf drive on Saturday morning?
    A hammer-drill on the job site?
    Slamming your fist down during a board meeting?

Just wondering.
    Hello Mr CbusRog,

I think generally a good shock rating meant that the watch stays relatively accurate in the event one drops the watch from 3 to 4 feet onto the floor. No watch is indestructible so care is still needed. I have seen very good watches like Omega dented after a very hard knock but the movement remained true. But the 316L casing carries a story for the rest of the life of this fine watch. I have also seen horrible scars on Sinn watches and I am sure if someone smacks a Ball watch casing with a hammer, it will be dented.

However if it just daily wear and even occasional knocks would not break it as Ball is set to carve their share of the market on durable watches.

Cheers!

Hate to say this but it sounds like you need a Casio or Timex heavy-duty digital watch for your equally heavy duty activities. Yikes!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sinn U series are made tough and are worn by the GSG9 unit. Real watches worn in real situations by real people. I don't believe a word that its watches will scratch easily.

Mr Schmidt demonstrated the scratch resistance of the U series on his U2 during TEMPUS 2007 in Singapore to me. He took a swiss knife and scratch the bezel and the sapphire crystal of the u2 and I had the chance to examine the results closely, not a single mark. This was not a specially made U2 but a normal production model.

Sinn acknowledges that there were some mistakes made in the earlier batches of the Sinn U series, as the tegimentation process had not been perfected then. But now, it is not an issue.

Sinn also informs that they will gladly change all those early batches of Sinn U series bezels for free if you encounter any problem, even after the warranty period. Therefore, enjoy wearing the U series and only after you have managed to scratch the watch, then you bring it in for servicing

I suppose if you set out to abuse a watch, you can dent an anvil! I use a Ball Master II Diver as my everyday timepiece. It goes on the tractor with me, goes fishing with me (the guys on the dock can see the dial at 5 AM) I fire a very heavy rifle with it on, go trap & skeet shoting with it...in other words, I do not baby it or back off from anything with it on. So far, in 9 months, it has no mechinical problems.

Thread Information