Ball Watches Availability in Finland Advice?

Thread: Ball Watches Availability in Finland Advice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ball Watches Availability in Finland Advice?

Dear WUS

The next watch I'll purchase will be a new or second hand Ball Engineer II Red Label GMT BLACK (BE2RLGMTBK).
    The acquisition will happen during September 2014 due to budget.
    I've come to the conclusion that this watch is the nicest tritium illuminati watch available.

Sure, it's quite dressy a watch.
    But it is also very understated and versatile.
    Masculine in a modest way.
    Dare I say it has a bit similar aura as the tag carrera automatic gmt with black dial.

However the radioluminescence makes this a killer product!
    We Finns like practical stuff.
    The BE2RLGMTBK has no competition in its category.

Ball watches are very rare in Finland.
    It seems that no authorized dealer resides in Scandinavia.
    What do You think is the best source to buy this watch from -- for a Finnish resident?
    New or second hand.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: Ball Watches Availability in Finland Advice?

Is there some specific issue in bringing tritium or imported products into Finland? I'm assuming some form of VAT will apply which will be the case most likely since there are no AD in country (UK looks to be the closest). So unless you are aware of something unique I'll move on to buying in general.

You may watch our forum sponsors Preowned section on their site. He generally has pretty good condition preowned and they generally have very accurate condition notes. All of their watches have a 1 year warranty from them and Toppers is very customer centric. I believe he would ship there. This may be one of the better sources for preowned and safer.

There are always sites like chrono24 to buy from that may be equal to Toppers or closer to the risk of say ebay. There are also private sellers and dealers here and ebay. Do your research before you buy not after. Better to be safe and miss something then take a chance and have regrets later. Sounds like you have plenty of time to find what you want.
    Last edited by samanator; April 14th, 2014 at 20:41.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Hi

Thank you for a comprehensive response!

I find watches fascinating.

I'm under the impression that importing watches containing tritium to Finland shouldn't a problem. It's not like we would sell the tritium to the Swedish military (do not click this link). You are absolutely right that VAT (24%) will be applied to an item imported from outside the EU. However within the EU the VAT must be paid in the country where the vendor resides in and only if the seller is a business. A reseller located in Netherlands has a pretty nice selection of Ball watches:
    Ball Watch Company | Horloges / Watches koopt U bij Chronojuwelier.com

(My apologies should the sponsor of this forum be offended by this link to a European reseller's website.)

What makes me a tiny bit angry is that the VAT is applied to every single god damn item imported from outside the EU -- regardless of whether the item is new OR used AND whether the seller is a business OR an individual. Surely this legislation weeds out tax avoidance. It also makes it an awkward option to buy a pre-owned watch via chrono24 or similar routes. There are about 300 Ball watches in chrono24 at the moment. Only 40 of them are located in Europe.

Usually watch enthusiasts consider an ETA-based movement as a negative feature on a watch. It's mandatory to be able to get the movement serviced in Finland should the watch ever need such attention. Being a working class citizen affordability is a priority.

For now it seems that the best option would be to purchase a NEW watch from the reseller in Netherlands. This is partly because of the aforementioned VAT legislation. Any short term saving achieved by purchasing a pre-owned watch can be easily eaten by the soul crushing VAT and possible servicing costs.

The tritium tubes would also be brand spanking new on a new watch, too. Hydrogen-3 For The Win. I hope the Dutch speak some English.

Prices in Britain seem a bit higher because 1 pound equals 1.2 euros.
    Last edited by Finlander; April 16th, 2014 at 11:38.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

My Aviator (46mm) has spent a few days in Finland

Balldy

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  106.7 KB

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

No one loves taxes, but I've seen some people do stupid things to avoid them that end up costing them more, or something else. Thanks for reminding me that somethings are not so bad here in the US. Sometimes we tend to forget that. Maybe if you can find preowned in the EU it might give you the best compromise. The other possibility is a strategic Holiday were prices are better (the Caribbean or a cruise are generally pretty good) to kill two birds with one stone.

Keep in mind that depending on model while some Ball watches start with an ETA movement they do make changes and enhancements above the norm to some like SpringLOCK.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Hi

Thank you for a comprehensive response!

I find watches fascinating.

I'm under the impression that importing watches containing tritium to Finland shouldn't a problem. It's not like we would sell the tritium to the Swedish military (do not click this link). You are absolutely right that VAT (24%) will be applied to an item imported from outside the EU. However within the EU the VAT must be paid in the country where the vendor resides in and only if the seller is a business. A reseller located in Netherlands has a pretty nice selection of Ball watches:
    Ball Watch Company | Horloges / Watches koopt U bij Chronojuwelier.com

(My apologies should the sponsor of this forum be offended by this link to a European reseller's website.)

What makes me a tiny bit angry is that the VAT is applied to every single god damn item imported from outside the EU -- regardless of whether the item is new OR used AND whether the seller is a business OR an individual. Surely this legislation weeds out tax avoidance. It also makes it an awkward option to buy a pre-owned watch via chrono24 or similar routes. There are about 300 Ball watches in chrono24 at the moment. Only 40 of them are located in Europe.

Usually watch enthusiasts consider an ETA-based movement as a negative feature on a watch. It's mandatory to be able to get the movement serviced in Finland should the watch ever need such attention. Being a working class citizen affordability is a priority.

For now it seems that the best option would be to purchase a NEW watch from the reseller in Netherlands. This is partly because of the aforementioned VAT legislation. Any short term saving achieved by purchasing a pre-owned watch can be easily eaten by the soul crushing VAT and possible servicing costs.

The tritium tubes would also be brand spanking new on a new watch, too. Hydrogen-3 For The Win. I hope the Dutch speak some English.

Prices in Britain seem a bit higher because 1 pound equals 1.2 euros.

Hi Finlander,
    Which part of Finland are you located? I visit Helsinki once or twice a year for work. Lovely country in the summer. :)
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

Terve,

Although I'm not sure I really liked the video (...) I'll post my 5c:

- Dealing with Vaessen in Heerlen is good. I ordered a Stormchaser over the phone some 3 years ago and they held it for two weeks, until I had a chance to swing by and pick it up. Can recommend them.
    - When ordering/bying from inside the EU (which is what you will be doing when buying from NL or UK), you will have to pay sales tax, VAT - or whatever it may be called - in the country of origin. So if you would by the watch in e.g. the UK, you would have to pay the UK VAT (18%) and that should suffice also for the Finnish customs. For some goods there are additional fees e.g. the taxes you have to pay for alcohol or tabacco although I would doubt that watches would be exposed to similiar additional fees.

HTH & best regards
    Folke

Hello folks, thank you for your input!

Balldy, looks a lot like the city of Jyväskylä am I right?

Folke_n, kiitos.

ten13th, I live in the city of Vantaa which is bordering the city of Helsinki. Yes, it's beautiful in the summer. But it's bleak, slushy and dark in the winter. However northern Finland (Lapland) is worth a visit in the winter, because Santa Claus lives there. ;)

I'm sure these new watches from Ball have existed for quite some time now, but I just recently stumbled upon them on the Topper Fine Jewelers' website.

This new Marvelight timepiece is an absolute stunner!
    What an example of form and function making a baby that's as tasteful as this.
    Or is it just that it resembles the iconic Datejust so much?
    Nevertheless the Marvelight has tritium, Rolex simply hasn't.
    Tritium is a must during the winter with minimum sunlight.
    If only the Marvelight was a chronometer, too. :(
    Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  130.0 KB

I have to say this new Pioneer timepiece is even better than the Marvelight in one area which is better accuracy.
    Also I absolutely love that the designer at Ball Watch had the courage to get rid of all but one very important word above the number six.
    CHRONOMETER. Any questions? Of course not, because it's a god damn CHRONOMETER.
    Name:  photo-18.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  154.1 KB

A drawback is that these two timepieces are not available at chronojuwelier.com.
    Your ideas where to purchase these from in Europe are highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Hello folks, thank you for your input!

Balldy, looks a lot like the city of Jyväskylä am I right?

..... However northern Finland (Lapland) is worth a visit in the winter, because Santa Claus lives there. ;)
    Hi, yes it is Jyväskylä - The company I work for has a factory there and I have been on business trips a couple of times - once in summer and once in winter - a bit of a contrast to say the least!

Maybe you should take a trip to Lapland yourself to find Santa and see if he can help you out!

Cheers

Balldy

If chronojuwelier.com is an official Ball dealer, they should be able to order these for you. Otherwise you can either try chrono24.com, lots of European dealers on that site. Or take a vacation in Switzerland and get it there... this would be me preferred option.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information