Ball x Ducks Unlimited - this new EMII came out of left field!
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ball x Ducks Unlimited - this new EMII came out of left field!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wow, wasn't expecting this one, let alone a collaboration with Ducks Unlimited — although the watch itself really feels like a nicely executed, highly capable field watch for hunters. What do you guys think? Some very cool details in here, including the rotating bezel with Superluminova markings.

The official press release:

“BALL Watch is thrilled to partner with the preeminent wetlands conservations organization in the world. It is our primary objective to support and fund the many honorable efforts of DU worldwide as the gatekeeper to our precious wetlands,” said Jeffrey P. Hess, CEO of BALL Watch USA. “In doing so we are working to create watches that have all of the essential elements that an outdoorsman dreams to have in a timepiece to create the ultimate line of sports watches.”

The first watch to be released will be a special Limited Edition watch, The Engineer Master II Sportsman, and will celebrate the year that DU was established by only offering 1937 pieces.

This Limited Edition watch is an automatic 44mm watch with a titanium case, featuring a super-luminova sunset/sunrise indicator with internal bezel, self-powered micro gas lights on the dial, a solar compass, military-grade water-resistant nylon strap and an anti-reflective sapphire crystal. The watch is anti-magnetic to 4,800A/m, shock resistant to 5,000 gs and water resistant to 300m/1,000ft. The dial will feature the DU Logo and the case back the iconic “DU Flying Mallard” in 3D relief.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: Ball x Ducks Unlimited - this new EMII came out of left field!

Interesting, this is very close to watch I documented to Ball minus the Ducks Unlimited logo when I filled out the survey a few years ago that Ball sent out. Mine was using a Ti version 45mm World Time Diver case, and my compass bezel had the lume windows for the direction markers in place of the numbers on the WT Diver. This appears to be the COSC diver Ti case. But in general I was looking for a Larger cased survival watch with a compass bezel version of the Diver, so this is very close. Internal bezels make sense for this application which does not require 100% WR when setting the direction. Using the sun it makes an effective compass. I wanted the 45mm case since it used 22mm straps and the size while big is very balanced. I'm not sure what the 44 case strap size is? I would buy a non DU version of this.
    Last edited by samanator; September 14th, 2014 at 20:22.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

I'd also buy a non-DU version as well. Nice looking watch though.
    • Zenith El Primero 1969
    • Stowa Flieger
    • Victorinox Officer's Limited Edition 1884
    • Ball Engineer II Marvelight
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Phase
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Glow

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When they show these new sailcloth type nylon straps they appear to show curved spring bars on this and the Magneto pictures. I don't know if they are or this is just the way it is rendered (photoshopped). Bremont has been doing this and it is a nice clean look.

The dial lume on this is really well thought out for a sport watch with the flat wide tube at the 12 and the parallel tubes at each 5 minute mark. One improvement is I would like to have seen the staggered day date (date at the 4:30) so they could have the full length tubes at the 3.

What I don't get is the sunrise/sunset indications since this has no 24 hour hand?
    Last edited by samanator; September 12th, 2014 at 15:17.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Cool looking. The indexes are reminiscent of breitling chronomat
    Ball, Breitling, Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer and Titoni

This will definitely be my first ball... so many watches to buy, so little money left.
    ten13th likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    When they show these new sailcloth type nylon straps they appear to show curved spring bars on this and the Magneto pictures. I don't know if they are or this is just the way it is rendered (photoshopped). Bremont has been doing this and it is a nice clean look.

What I don't get is the sunrise/sunset indications since this has no 24 hour hand?
    I really want one of these straps — I think the lug length on the 44mm EHCII cases is already pretty tight, so curved bars would make a lot of sense, and look really good.

Seems like you'd set the bezel to show the exact time of sunset wherever you are in the world so you know how much daylight you have left to hunt/fish, or conversely how long until sunrise? Super handy if you ask me. I'm always hitting up the weather channel to find out how much daylight I'll have if I go out on an evening ride, and plan my route accordingly.

Conservation aside, +1 to the sentiment that this would be very high on my list if it weren't for the ducks.

I like the watch, but as Michael noted would have rather seen all the t-tubes symmetrical, with staggered date windows. I don't see any curving in the strap at the lugs myself, though the case does indeed hide the strap edges--I am guessing these are not curved pins, but that doesn't mean you couldn't use curved pins yourself, if that were the case. While I do now understand the sunrise/sunset wheel, based on dinexus's supposition, this seems an odd way to simply provide for a single point indicator (since of course there will be very few days where sunrise and sunset will be 12 hours apart), so, as dinexus suggests, you would likely only use one or the other, which raises the question--why not just use a single point (triangle, dot, t-tube pip...)? If just a common indicator were used, then this would be a much better all rounder watch, where we can fix a point in the day that we want to do something, but not necessarily corresponding to sunrise/sunset. And, does anyone use a fixed compass display anymore? I don't mind the DU logo at all, though, good cause, good vibes--nothing wrong there. Would I buy it? No, not in its present somewhat overcomplicated state--clean it up, and then I think they have a winner.
    Last edited by timefleas; September 12th, 2014 at 16:52.

Quote Originally Posted by dinexus View Post
    Seems like you'd set the bezel to show the exact time of sunset wherever you are in the world so you know how much daylight you have left to hunt/fish, or conversely how long until sunrise? Super handy if you ask me. I'm always hitting up the weather channel to find out how much daylight I'll have if I go out on an evening ride, and plan my route .
    That doesn't work with a 12 hour hand cycle (2 time around the dial), it needs a 24 hour hand (12 hour day and 12 hour night windows) to be effective. The reason behind the Pepsi and Batman bezel on the Rolex GMT is that they are trying to indicate the 12 hour day/night cycles with one cycle around the dial. For example my wife and I go out for sunrise on the beach here nearly every day. Currently that happens around 7:05 am EST with Sunset around 7:15 pm EST. So setting for sunrise we would get a reasonably accurate indication of sunset in a 24 hour cycle. On average it is a 12 hour cycle through out the year (more in the summer and less in the winter). So doing it with a 6 hour hand is not very effective with the two being called out. The opposite will always be off which is not what they are indicating. You should be able to set for the one you care about most and it will indicate the other by the 24 hour hand. Cool design, but less than ideal execution.
    Last edited by samanator; September 12th, 2014 at 17:05.
    Michael

Thanks for the kind words. I have been this for over a year with the incredible folks at Ducks Unlimited. So, while it seems "out of left field" it was a long slog. But these folks at D/U are just incredible. Amazing people. Growing up in Rural illinois D/U was one of those entities that commanded true reverence. And you all know what they do for the wetlands. Amazing conservation group.

Jeffrey Hess
    dinexus and RyanPatrick like this.
    President of Ball Watch U.S.A.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information