Balls hold their value?

Thread: Balls hold their value?

Balls hold their value?

I am looking seriously at finding a nice used Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon. Assuming I get a good deal on one, how well with this watch hold its value over the years? That is, if I decide to sell it a year or two from now, will I at least break even? Previously owned a Panerai and was always sure that I could at least get my investment back out of it when selling (which I did). Would love to know the same thing about the Ball.

Thanks

Re: Balls hold their value?

Price of Ball watches are definitely going to rise in the next few years, esp when more WIS get into contact and learn more of the brand.

Would be a good shot to invest in one now. A Hydrocarbon would be a good choice as its the first watch so far with 7,500G!!

but like me, i love my balls so much that i cant bear to sell them (maybe not yet)

Balls are gaining respect quickly. In my opinion, a watch bought today on the used market, will sell for 90-100% of its purchase value in a few years, given equal condition. I'm pretty certain that it will not drop alot in value unless very used and scratched/dented.

Now if you buy from an AD, then the value drops dramatically as soon as you walk out of the store, but you get the expertise, warranty and piece of mind of the AD support. You can always recognize the people trying to sell a watch they just purchased from an AD and want to recoup their money, it is usually priced 30% too high on the resale market.

In this hobby, you can't be in it to make money, but with wise choices and patience, you can usually buy and sell watches without losing much if any. With the 60 watches that I have had go through my hands in the past year, I'm about even. I had a few make a good profit, while the rest were close to even or a bit below. It balances out. The key is patience, and waiting for the right deal. Also, the ability to refinish a watch helps greatly, as SS watches can be refreshed back to near new condition with 30 minutes of work with 3M pads and a Cape Cod cloth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

By my side, I think that It's not always a good idea to buy a watch having in mind the idea about how much to gain in the next future...
    This state of mind I think is OK only if you are a dealer, or if you take watches just for resell... In thta case I don't think a Ball watch can "immediately" gain a value: it's betetr you buy:

1: Any possible Omega Speedmaster cal 321 you can, they are cash!
    2: Military watches with the Lemania 5100 cal.
    3: And of course super brands like Rolex or PF (but they have reach a very higehr level, how they can go more?)

But I agree with the idea that Ball watches, especially the first classic Hydrocarbon , the first TMT, the alligator and the first GMT will increase a lot in the future.
    They are unique, they have a totally new design, they haven't copy any other brand, but find the way to invent a new "classic" technical style.
    And of course they are professionals

This is the pedigree of a good brand.

I think that if the Ball Co. try to follow too much the fashions of big watches, or the fashion of particular "super brand" design (like Omega is doing, and I think they are really, really wrong their strategy) like many other are doing, they will loose value.

But, if they maintain the strog technical/professional style, and the pedigree of the old Ball inspiration they have took, I think in the future there will be a great interest for the "vintage" Ball watch.

My opinion of course!

:thanks

Sorry for my english!

Salva
    Salva

Don't forget as MSRP rises, usually used prices tend to follow. Now honestly, very few watches are good investments, and those that are tend to be expensive to start with, or were 1st model releases that are now 20-50 years old (Think double red Rolexes).

Now unless the used market price exceeds inflations (usually won't happen), watches are meant to be enjoyed and worn. As many people say, "how do you make a small fortune in watches? Start with a large fortune!)

Thanks, everyone. I'm not trying to make money at this. Just like the fact that if you pick the right watch, you can enjoy it for a year or two and get your money back selling it. Makes watch wearing/collecting a relatively guilt-free pleasure! I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mad Cow Hydrocarbon.

Quote Originally Posted by gdaniel View Post
    I am looking seriously at finding a nice used Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon. Assuming I get a good deal on one, how well with this watch hold its value over the years? That is, if I decide to sell it a year or two from now, will I at least break even? Previously owned a Panerai and was always sure that I could at least get my investment back out of it when selling (which I did). Would love to know the same thing about the Ball.

Thanks
    I got a Hydrocarbon from the local AD two years ago and just sold it for what I paid for it.

Thread Information