Black Mad Cows

Thread: Black Mad Cows

Black Mad Cows

Hi,

I am new to the forum and am starting to learn about Ball watches as I research for a purchase.

In looking at photos of the Engineer Hydrocarbon Mad Cow in Black, I noticed 2 different versions, one with a flat back dial an another with a sunburst guilloche treatment.

Does anyone know the history of the two versions. Is one older / newer or were the different versions available at the same time? Or is it that the guilloche doesn't come across clearly in some photos?

Thanks.

-Mike
    Last edited by biker-mike; January 5th, 2015 at 20:03.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: Black Mad Cows

There is no MC with a flat dial and the the actual MC has a fingerprint swirl texture on the dial.

Here is the only dial these had in black:

If you find one with a flat dial then it's either not a MC or it is not real. These have been discontinued for quite a few years now. Is it possible you are talking about the Spacemaster (see below):

Here is the Airborne which has some of the MC dial features, but does not have the applied numbers.

Last edited by samanator; January 6th, 2015 at 22:41.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Wow, new appreciation for the Airborne!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

And me!! The Airborne looks sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by biker-mike View Post
    Hi,

I am new to the forum and am starting to learn about Ball watches as I research for a purchase.

In looking at photos of the Engineer Hydrocarbon Mad Cow in Black, I noticed 2 different versions, one with a flat back dial an another with a sunburst guilloche treatment.

Does anyone know the history of the two versions. Is one older / newer or were the different versions available at the same time? Or is it that the guilloche doesn't come across clearly in some photos?

Thanks.

-Mike
    If you look at this video it looks like a flat black dial, however, like Samanator explains, it is in fact a swirl. This will also show how awesome the finishing is!

Quote Originally Posted by TAYHAS View Post
    Wow, new appreciation for the Airborne!
    Agree it does look pretty nice. If it was Ti like its cousin the EHC Black I could see this as a modern iteration of the MC. Always loved these patterns on the dial.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by jcktglfr View Post
    If you look at this video it looks like a flat black dial, however, like Samanator explains, it is in fact a swirl. This will also show how awesome the finishing is!

If you say so. It's very poorly lit and I can barely see the applied numbers except at the very bottom. I would have guessed hi gloss more than flat based off of this. Regardless you now have an appropriate picture above. That dial in either black with SS hands or white/silver dial with blue hands are the only configurations.
    Michael

Thanks for your responses. The photos I was looking at did not capture the pattern on the dial. All clear now.

The Mad Cow is an iconic Ball watch from some years back now....I remember seeing it when I was researching and finally purchased my venerable Gen I UTC dial Night Train.

Let us know if you find one.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison2951 View Post
    The Mad Cow is an iconic Ball watch from some years back now....I remember seeing it when I was researching and finally purchased my venerable Gen I UTC dial Night Train.

Let us know if you find one.
    Iconic may be a little strong, but the EHC line is distinctive to Ball and no one else has anything that looks like it with the crown guard setup. I personally prefer the newer iterations of the EHC starting with the Spacemasters. These have bigger dial areas, far superior bezel lume, later models have ceramic inserts and the Gen II and DQ have crown setups that don't have the wobble of the first gen. The biggest plus for the Gen 1 according to some is the non-taper bracelet with the double clasp.
    Michael

Thread Information