catching the big boy en route to wyoming
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: catching the big boy en route to wyoming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

catching the big boy en route to wyoming

There's something really cool about the Ball watches that are directly associated with a person, place, or thing. Granted, not every collaboration appeals to everyone — I'm more partial to Alex Honnold and Guillaume Nery — but that's not the point. Every watch is a celebration of man's pioneering spirit, and however esoteric, they are commemorating remarkable achievements all the same. I can't say I'm much of a train buff, but my recent acquisition of the Big Boy changed that. Furthermore, the commemoration I've been wearing around on my wrist recently came to life when Ball posted on their Facebook page about how the Big Boy is headed to Wyoming to Union Pacific's steam shop for a conversion that'll burn oil instead of coal and get the massive engine running under its own power again.

Coincidentally, my buddy in Utah happens to be a pretty serious train buff (and a super-talented photographer), and just a few days ago camped out along the tracks outside of Spanish Fork Canyon to snap a few photos of this massive wall of iron and steel getting towed through:

...and then another with his girlfriend next to the 4014's massive wheels:

...he also caught it in Nebraska back in 2012 when I believe the train was running under its own power:

Back in California, I have a new appreciation for my Big Boy, where I've equipped it with a distressed stitched leather strap from Crown & Buckle — fits really nicely, and is a lot more pliable than the stock leather that comes on the watch. Of course it goes without saying that the lume is spectacular, and the wrist presence at night is on a whole different level. Many thanks again to Rob at Topper, to the Ball-a-Thon, and to the fine folks at Ball Watch for doing their part to bring these unique stories to light, and more indirectly — to life.

Last edited by dinexus; May 7th, 2014 at 23:30.

Re: catching the big boy en route to wyoming

I know the big boy model isn't for everyone but I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    dinexus likes this.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Fantastic story and pictures.
    Last edited by samanator; May 8th, 2014 at 13:48.
    dinexus likes this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great pictures of the Big Boy locomotive--especially the first picture--sharp from end to end!
    antiga likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Great pictures of the Big Boy locomotive--especially the first picture--sharp from end to end!
    Right!? It just looks like a prop from a movie — ridiculously overbuilt, and epically menacing at the same time.

The 4014 is going to get a make over. I wish they would fix up the 4012 in Scranton PA. These trains were the biggest trains ever made with a length of 132' long and a weight of 1.2 million lbs. I hope the 4014 is giving out rides when it's all said and done cause I want to ride on it. My 3 yr old son love trains and got a Lionel train book with a pic of the model 4014. I keep telling him that's the train that's going to get restored. Awesome train to see and I will be taking a ride to Scranton to see their Big Boy.
    dinexus and samanator like this.

I was hoping you could have made it to the Topper Event on Friday. I was hoping to meet our Ball-Athon champ.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatz028 View Post
    The 4014 is going to get a make over. I wish they would fix up the 4012 in Scranton PA. These trains were the biggest trains ever made with a length of 132' long and a weight of 1.2 million lbs. I hope the 4014 is giving out rides when it's all said and done cause I want to ride on it. My 3 yr old son love trains and got a Lionel train book with a pic of the model 4014. I keep telling him that's the train that's going to get restored. Awesome train to see and I will be taking a ride to Scranton to see their Big Boy.
    What RR was this in Scranton?
    Michael

That's a good question Samanator. I never read what RR it was with. I just read that there were 10 or 12 Big Boys and where they were located. I took my 3 yr old son to a train show and bought him his first train for Christmas which he didn't know I got him. To make a long story short I couldn't leave with out buying him a train after he started crying. With the purchase of this train I got books on the Big Boy. The model Big Boy from Lionel is part of their Vision line series and are expensive. I think they are in the ball park of $3,000. I watched a YouTube video on one of the models and it's amazing. I would love to own one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    I was hoping you could have made it to the Topper Event on Friday. I was hoping to meet our Ball-Athon champ.
    I know! I am still super bummed I wasn't able to go! I would have loved to meet you and Mike from Bremont, but my brother was in town from Michigan with his wife for only Friday and Saturday, and we had a full evening planned — including this hike up Hawk Hill:

Last edited by dinexus; May 13th, 2014 at 21:14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information