Cleveland Express owners.... talk to me!

Thread: Cleveland Express owners.... talk to me!

Cleveland Express owners.... talk to me!

Greetings all, long time watch fanatic, have never owned a Ball. I'm looking for a watch for my father, who turns 70 in May. He's had some old school manual winders previously, but when his last one died about 10 years ago, he bough a Seiko quartz. My dream for a long time was to put another mechanical on his wrist, as he's worked hard his entire life and deserves it (but would never buy it for himself). He's not all the way over the hill yet, but some considerations for buying him a new watch were a simple dial, good legibility, and perhaps nighttime lume (which is what drew me to the Ball line). I was thinking a Fireman initially, until I saw a picture of a silver dial Cleveland Express. Wow. This is perhaps the most beautiful, classic dial I've ever seen.

If you've read this far, please help me with the following quesions:

1. Is the watch too heavy on the stainless steel bracelet? I could get the leather strap version, but he's used to a bracelet, but not one of this caliber.

2. How is the lume at night? Good enough for older eyes?

3. Is the Cleveland the best option, or is there another "classic" Ball that might fit the bill (although I know for certain there are none better looking).

4. Last one.... Is the crown screwed down or not? His last mechanical did not have a screwed crown, and I know winding is made more simple without one. Not a deal breaker, but I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance for input on this one. It's probably the last watch he'll ever own, and it means a lot to me to get the right one.

Re: Cleveland Express owners.... talk to me!

1: The watch is not light but it is not that heavy I would have to say out of all my watches it is in the middle (heavier than my mid-size Omega but lighter than my Bell & Ross Br01-94 (huge))

2: it is very nice and easy to see at night not blinding but constant does not dim which is a real plus.

3: It is a beautiful watch I am sad I parted ways with mine but I have to make room for my next purchase.

4: The crown is screwed down it operates very nice and easy to unscrew and never feels like it is going to strip the threads (The only watch I have had with a smoother screw down crown is my Omega) The cleveland express is a auto watch so as long as he wears it a bit he shoudn't have to wind it.

Overall a great watch!

Jason

oh on the strap it is much lighter I could barely tell I was wearing it.

Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply Jason. One more question.... does the bracelet version also come with the leather strap, or is that an option you have to purchase separately from the dealer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheDriver View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jason. One more question.... does the bracelet version also come with the leather strap, or is that an option you have to purchase separately from the dealer?
    It is sold with either the strap or the bracelet. I have the blue faced version and think the black leather strap makes it look very classy. I have a second Ball with the bracelet. It does not add that much weight.

EJ

Thanks for all of the replies/input fellas. My father will be the recipient of a brand new from the AD silver dial Cleveland Express in May. Found a great AD who earned my business. While my intent was to spend less than I did, once I saw the C.E. it was pretty much game over. What a gorgeous watch. I'd like to have one myself someday. Cheers.

Thread Information