Comments Welcomed
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Comments Welcomed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Comments Welcomed

Greetings to my fellow Ball lovers. Relatively new to the forum and have thoroughly enjoyed reading and researching the forum over the past year or two. I only have a couple of Ball's in the collection but they are the pride of my collection. Currently a NEDU and 60 Seconds II in the stable. On the radar at the moment is the new Marvelight flavored in a blue dial. I love the simple classic look of the watch. I plan on making another watch purchase later this year sometime and I am simply crunching numbers and making comparisons of the watches pictured below. I love the quality and price point of the Ball Marvelight. I've never owned a Rolex and am not necessarily impressed with being lumped in with a club of Rolex owners that seem to be everywhere. I tend to enjoy the seemingly more exclusive nature of the smaller Ball market.

Now, on to the point of the post. I'm looking for comments on the long term value of Ball watches. It is my understanding that Rolex pieces tend to hold their value relatively well compared to most higher end pieces and am curious if Ball timepieces tend to do the same? I've never been one to get rid of watches or trade much so it's not so much about the money. Once the purchase is made, its made. Actually cant say I've ever traded or sold a watch. No doubt I'm going to purchase the Marvelight but would welcome comments on comparison of it to a Rolex Datejust concerning attractiveness, quality, curb appeal, and long term value. I guess I would most like to know if the price of the Rolex listed is actually a good investment compared to a Ball?? I'm positive of what the answer would be on the Rolex forum but would appreciate the opinions of the home team!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Name:  NM2026C-S6J-BE_dial_zps8dfe12f8.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  53.2 KBName:  1261125d1382646912-blue-dial-watch-would-you-choose-rolex-datejust.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  101.2 KB
    Last edited by Heartlandblaster; August 9th, 2014 at 16:14.

Tampa, Florida and Daytona Beach, Florida

Re: Comments Welcomed

Search the For Sale forum and look at the asking prices for Balls.

Retired from Fire Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/5/2019

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

If you want comparable brand then Rob has always felt they tracked very much in line with Breitling. Chuck (welcome back) has suggested a good resource and I would also suggest looking at our sponsors preowned select section of the Topper site as another resource.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Honestly, I love Ball, have owned a few Rolex and love one or two of theirs too (I like the Milgauss in particular). In terms of attractiveness and appeal, that's clearly a personal call--it is what you see it to be. The two watches in question are nearly identical, except the Ball of course has tritium tubes, which is a huge plus for some people. In terms of long term value retention/appreciation, then Rolex has that category hands down.
    Last edited by timefleas; August 9th, 2014 at 18:19.

Watches are not investment. Index funds will out perform 99.99% of the watches ever sold. Acquire watches that you enjoy is the most important factor.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by ten13th View Post
    Watches are not investment. Index funds will out perform 99.99% of the watches ever sold. Acquire watches that you enjoy is the most important factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    In terms of long term value retention/appreciation, then Rolex has that category hands down.
    X2

Ask any random person on the street what a nice watch is, and they'll answer Rolex. For all my beefs with Rolex, you can't fault their marketing and it's effect on the resale value.
    wschofield3 likes this.

Smile Re: Comments Welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    X2

Ask any random person on the street what a nice watch is, and they'll answer Rolex. For all my beefs with Rolex, you can't fault their marketing and it's effect on the resale value.
    My wife and I scraped up the dough 20 years ago to buy ourselves each a Rolex. They have been superb in every way. My sub still glows. I know the OP does not want my opinion but I must say that Rolex resale value is about more than marketing my friend. It is about sheer beauty, build quality and most importantly it is about watertight integrity IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgs View Post
    I know the OP does not want my opinion but I must say that Rolex resale value is about more than marketing my friend. It is about sheer beauty, build quality and most importantly it is about watertight integrity IMHO.
    BS - there are any number of watches with equal or superior "beauty, build quality, and watertight integrity", and yet, they do not even remotely approach the resale of Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    BS - there are any number of watches with equal or superior "beauty, build quality, and watertight integrity", and yet, they do not even remotely approach the resale of Rolex.
    Message understood.

Having owned many Rolex watches including a Datejust, Submariner (x2), Day Date in WG and Ball watches including an Engineer Ohio II, Spacemaster X-Lume and a couple from the EHC series, I am confident in saying that the fit, finish and details of Ball watches is, IMO, equal to Rolex in every way. I would say I actually prefer them as Rolex watches tend to be a bit on the light side and when you have a Ball watch on, you know it. I personally like that.

That being said, Rolex have in house movements, albeit mostly machine made and are not decorated. Rolex holds its value much better as most believe Rolex to be the end all be all watch. Most that wear Rolex (not on WUS) are more about "lookey what I have" vs appreciating a fine watch. They need people to recognize what they have on. I don't like being associated with that.

I'll never forget my first Sub which was a joke compared to my friends Omega SMP. i took it off my wrist and he asked if it was a fake, that's how ridiculously light it was.

OK, what does this mean to me? I love Ball watches. I think they play way above their asking price. Would I own a Rolex? You bet. They are excellent quality watches that hold their value; why not? Will I ever own another Submariner. or DJ; no way. I would choose the Explorer (original or II) or one of the GMT's like the BLNR as they are not as widely recognized.

Your question of whether Ball holds its value as much as Rolex has been answered by others prior, I just figured I'd give you a perspective from someone that has owned multiples of both brands.

If you don't care what others think of your watch, get the Marvelight and you'll be a happy camper. When a friend hands you his DJ and you hand him your Ball, watch the look on their face when you tell him how much less you paid for a watch that is every bit its equal (other than movement), and most likely, if they have any of their senses left, much more substantial.

Now, if you want a watch that blows Rolex out of the water at a much lower cost, look at Grand Seiko. That is the ultimate WIS watch as those that wear them don't care about it being recognized, just its quality.

All of this of course is my opinion, but I have made my living via subjective analysis of ultra high end consumer electronics such as $50K amplifiers for home use, and have been doing so for almost 40 years. I understand how brand names cause extreme bias. I am not biased in any way towards or against brand names. I just call em' like I see em'. YMMV.
    Last edited by wschofield3; August 10th, 2014 at 04:50.
    GregBe likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information