Considering Ball...
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Considering Ball...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JTO

Considering Ball...

Hello all. I've been captivated by the look and value of Ball watches and I'm considering getting my first one. The problem is I'm having this weird conversation with my amex credit card. I want to get a watch but my card keeps telling me the ones I have are fine but I then said shut up I pay your annual fee so I can do whatever I want.

Anyways I'm considering getting the Engineering II Ohio 40 mm in black with the day date complication and the marvelight in blue. I usually buy divers (doesn't mean I'll have to get one now) and have owned seiko, steinhart, tissot and Oris over the years. If anyone has pictures of their own watches that I mention please post them (my credit card said dont do it) and if you feel like something else in the Ball family I should look at please let me know as well. I prefer smaller watches now (40mm or less) and under 1500 USD.
    MrZeke likes this.
    Where my paycheques have gone to die...
    Seiko 'BFK' - SKA369
    Seiko 'Tuna Monster' - SRP637
    Seiko 'Turtle'
    Oris Aquis Green
    Tissot PRS516 - Blue Dial (non-chrono)
    Etc..

Re: Considering Ball...

I too used to wear larger divers style watches, but since I got my Ball nightbreaker 40mm date in a dark blue face its seems to be all I wear! I think your AMEX is just suffering from watch envy! Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Hello all. I've been captivated by the look and value of Ball watches and I'm considering getting my first one. The problem is I'm having this weird conversation with my amex credit card. I want to get a watch but my card keeps telling me the ones I have are fine but I then said shut up I pay your annual fee so I can do whatever I want.

Anyways I'm considering getting the Engineering II Ohio 40 mm in black with the day date complication and the marvelight in blue. I usually buy divers (doesn't mean I'll have to get one now) and have owned seiko, steinhart, tissot and Oris over the years. If anyone has pictures of their own watches that I mention please post them (my credit card said dont do it) and if you feel like something else in the Ball family I should look at please let me know as well. I prefer smaller watches now (40mm or less) and under 1500 USD.
    Rocking my speedmaster professional on a black silicone strap everyday!

I don't have either of those watches, but I absolutely love the blue Marvelight.

I do have three Ball watches, and all are 40mm. They are the Fireman Victory and Enterprise, and the Engineer III Endurance.

The lume shot is the Enterprise. The Endurance I only have a non-wrist shot, and it's back at Ball for a warranty repair.
    surfuz and wickets like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have three Ball watches--two Trainmasters: WorldTime and PowerReserve and and Engineer II RedLabel GMT. I think Ball presents a good value, a wide variety of styles and that wonderful lume.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  96.1 KB
    Name:  TM WT.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  52.3 KB
    Name:  Ball Red Label GMT copy.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  91.7 KB
    wickets and Dan_957 like this.

The quality of Balls can only really be measured by holding 'em in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hose A View Post
    The quality of Balls can only really be measured by holding 'em in your hand.
    i could comment but i wont!
    Hose A and Dinky1 like this.

personally i think the marvelight is better if only because the lume on the minute hand is a bit longer than the minute hand on the ohio and so you have a bit more contrast between the hands at night. if your eyes are good and lume isnt that big of a deal, either one is an excellent choice

Hi, Well, my humble opinion you can't go wrong with Ball. I have 4, down from 6. Two show temperature , one has a power reserve, and the other glows like a-get- out, having 50 trillium tubes! But besides that, I like the look and workmanship in them at a very fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post

I think both are fine watches and you can't go wrong with the design of a Ball Watch. Let me help you with listing what I see are the salient points that places one over the other.

Marvelight
    What I like about it
    - great lume built into the batons of the hourly markers with blue for the 12 o'clock position
    - sunray style blue dial gives a nice texture and class but white is also simple yet classy looking
    What I don't
    - no day function

Ohio
    What I like about it
    - day & date function
    What I don't
    - small dots for lume, poor luminosity after a few years. My wife's 5 year old watch is now as good as a standard painted lume like Citizen or something
    - black dial boring, whilst silver dials have texture, it doesn't contrast enough with the hands and makes reading time harder

In my opinion, the unique selling point about a Ball Watch is the lume, so if that was what attracted you to Ball in the first place, I'd say go Marvelight.

Happy hunting.
    wickets likes this.

JTO

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    I think both are fine watches and you can't go wrong with the design of a Ball Watch. Let me help you with listing what I see are the salient points that places one over the other.

Marvelight
    What I like about it
    - great lume built into the batons of the hourly markers with blue for the 12 o'clock position
    - sunray style blue dial gives a nice texture and class but white is also simple yet classy looking
    What I don't
    - no day function

Ohio
    What I like about it
    - day & date function
    What I don't
    - small dots for lume, poor luminosity after a few years. My wife's 5 year old watch is now as good as a standard painted lume like Citizen or something
    - black dial boring, whilst silver dials have texture, it doesn't contrast enough with the hands and makes reading time harder

In my opinion, the unique selling point about a Ball Watch is the lume, so if that was what attracted you to Ball in the first place, I'd say go Marvelight.

Happy hunting.
    You kind of nailed it on the head for both. I love the dial and look of the marvelight but it would of been great if I had a day date on it (I leave voicemails for work where I state what day/date and time that I left the voicemail so it would be super useful). And I really like the price point of the Ohio and the day date complication but the black is blah. If it was a shiny black dial like on the omega seamaster that wouldn't be so bad.

I particularly like ball watches not necessarily for the lume but for texture that the tritium tubes give on the dial giving it more complicated look than normal watches. If there's any non discontinued Ball watches I should consider please let me know.
    Where my paycheques have gone to die...
    Seiko 'BFK' - SKA369
    Seiko 'Tuna Monster' - SRP637
    Seiko 'Turtle'
    Oris Aquis Green
    Tissot PRS516 - Blue Dial (non-chrono)
    Etc..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information