Considering a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airbourne, what your opinions?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Considering a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airbourne, what your opinions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airbourne, what your opinions?

I'm currently considering added a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airbourne to my collection but have no real experience of the brand. My biggest concern is the crown setup which does seem to protrude more than most, does this make them uncomfortable until use to it or isn't this a problem?
    Hi everyone my name is BOB and I'm a WATCHAHOLIC

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: Considering a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airbourne, what your opinions?

If you like wearing your watches so they are not flopping into the bottom of your hand it is not noticeable. On the bracelet it need to be sized to sit above the wrist bone. Sized to stay there, you most likely can't even bend your hand back far enough to hit it. I do advise trying one if you can, which would be my advice for any watch.
    Luminated likes this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Airbourne is a great choice. Airbourne, Black and Magnate are three Hydrocarbons that I would like to own someday.
    Luminated likes this.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I own 2 EHCs, Chronograph and TMT, (both on bracelets), although they are a bit older, my experience should still be relevant when considering an Airborne. My wrist is approximately 7 3/8", I like to wear my watches with the strap/ bracelet and case sitting in between my wrist bone and hand, (on my left wrist), that is up against where my wrist and hand meet. I find the EHCs to be comfortable and do not notice the crown bumping or banging into the back of my hand. That being said, there are times that the crown guard has been 'knocked' open. I don't know whether it's been my hand or something else. but this is a part of wearing an EHC for many, as has been posted on this forum.

The Airborne is a great watch, think you'll enjoy it greatly if you pick one up. I just wish it was in titanium, but that's for another post.

Are you European an you added the 'u'? No worries just curious and a little joking...

Cheers,

Craig

The crown guard is not a problem, but the curved lugs can be seriously uncomfortable for those with larger wrists. You will either love it or hate it, I agree you need to try one on before purchasing.

Try it on. The clasp didn't work for me comfort wise so I bought the Orbital 2 and had Topper replace the clasp with a Mad Cow (watch from an earlier time) clasp. Wearing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    I own 2 EHCs, Chronograph and TMT, (both on bracelets), although they are a bit older, my experience should still be relevant when considering an Airborne. My wrist is approximately 7 3/8", I like to wear my watches with the strap/ bracelet and case sitting in between my wrist bone and hand, (on my left wrist), that is up against where my wrist and hand meet. I find the EHCs to be comfortable and do not notice the crown bumping or banging into the back of my hand. That being said, there are times that the crown guard has been 'knocked' open. I don't know whether it's been my hand or something else. but this is a part of wearing an EHC for many, as has been posted on this forum.
    This is where I wear my watches, I do know that my Nav-B's crown stick in to my hand at times but it hasn't any crown guard and has a shape which is less comfortable than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    The Airborne is a great watch, think you'll enjoy it greatly if you pick one up. I just wish it was in titanium, but that's for another post.

Are you European an you added the 'u'? No worries just curious and a little joking...

Cheers,

Craig
    Hadn't noticed I'd done it, maybe spell checker changed it automatically or maybe I'm just crap at spelling. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    The crown guard is not a problem, but the curved lugs can be seriously uncomfortable for those with larger wrists. You will either love it or hate it, I agree you need to try one on before purchasing.
    That's my problem there's no Ball dealer in Northern Ireland but my Benarus Moray has quite curved lugs and its comfortable but I really would like to try before I buy. Maybe I'll put off the purchase until I'm stateside and make an effort to go to one of the local dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    Try it on. The clasp didn't work for me comfort wise so I bought the Orbital 2 and had Topper replace the clasp with a Mad Cow (watch from an earlier time) clasp. Wearing it now.
    I have a similar style of clasp on another watch so this I don't think will be an issue but thanks for making me aware.
    Last edited by Luminated; March 26th, 2014 at 19:27.

Agreed, the lugs curve perfectly around my wrist. My ad actually said one guy had the lugs ground down. Wow! He must have really loved the watch. But anyway try one on first. My Spacemaster fits! I did try it on before going out in the forum/grey market.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Voodoo13; March 28th, 2014 at 00:20.

I'm debating whether or not to consider a DB Daynight Recon instead as I know how it feels on the wrist, the only thing that's making my hesitate is is I reckon the Ball will feel more special despite costing considerably more.

Decisions, decisions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information