Contemplating my first Ball
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Contemplating my first Ball

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Contemplating my first Ball

I have been looking for a watch with tritium tubes for awhile now and never found one I liked. Enter Engineer Master 2 Skindiver Heritage. Looks spectacular. Looking for some advice the watch and/or their watches. Does the quality of this piece seem to be worth $2700? I believe I see many of their watches come down in price considerably on the grey market. Is it wise to wait or do they have a tendency to sell out quickly? And lastly, do you think this watch has timeless type of design? Thanks for any comments that you may shareName:  E83CC9C7-6BAE-42B0-8AFA-E6F499C97FE4.jpeg
Views: 211
Size:  1.96 MB

Re: Contemplating my first Ball

No question that is a beautiful watch, and I'm sure the fit and finish are on par with the Ball watches I own. But $2,700 does seem high for where Ball watches are in the market currently. It won't hold it's value, but if you love it and want to wear it, those are the most important considerations. But it will likely be found much cheaper in the future.

[Edit] I should add that it was on pre-order at a lower price until January 16. The pre-order price was probably 40% lower.

Thanks for the response. I had a feeling that was the case. Sucks because now I have to be patient!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Gnomon has it for $2200 inc shipping and as theyre an AD it's a safe option.
    AGPank likes this.

They are very well made watches that fly under most people's radar, even some WIS's.....

Can't comment on the pricing, but having owned a number of Ball watches over the years, they are certainly worth some serious consideration if you are looking for something out of "mainstream" of watch brands, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I've owned something from just about every brand there is, but I keep coming back to Ball--my favorite--as I like being a little off the beaten track, while still having something that looks and runs great--something that can easily compete with the big "names" on equal footing---AND is very reasonably priced, usually much better value for the money than the big names.
    PetrosD and Nokie like this.
    Less is More...

I am a Ball Watch owner and have had one for the last year and a bit. Having owned other Swiss made watches and some "branded" ones, I can say that the quality of a Ball Watch is right up there. What is not to like about the tritium tubes? It maintains its luminosity through the night even all the other big name brands have long faded away. The Engineer Master 2 Skindiver is a nice watch, timeless simple three hander and I like how the indices, hands (seconds included) have the tritium lume on it. Moreover, that RR monogram on the counter weight of the seconds sweeper hands is an alluring attraction to the Ball Watch collection.

Now to address the elephant in the room. The asking price of $2700 may seem to be a bit much considering that pre-order prices are generally less than that. Know that you won't be covered (warranty wise) if you pick one up from a grey dealer so choices are either on-line pre-orders or ADs (e.g. Topper - which is our forum sponsor and no, I don't work for them). As for your question of wait and see, I think the old adage of the early bird gets the worm applies to watch purchase as well. At the end of the day, you need to balance the desire to own one quickly vs the impact on your wallet. Good bargains can be picked up later if you're in no hurry but the lower price is also a reflection of the factors like it being an older model and the half life of the radio-active isotope (tritium lime).

Hope this helps.

Does help, so thanks for the replies. I have a feeling my strength to hold out will fail. If, more like when, I purchase, I will post picks. Have had my eye on Ball for a year now so time to pull the trigger soon.

For some reason the skindiver models retain the most value, and I have never seen one on the gray market. While most Ball models lose half their value (or more), the Skindiver seems to hold it's own for whatever reason. It's a great looking watch, and I know the price is worth it. I've owned 3 different Ball models. They certainly can hold their own with Breitling(Iv'e had 2 models). However; with used and gray prices hovering around ~1400 for Ball watches, it's hard for me to justify spending over $2000 for a Ball. But hey, if you like it get. It sure is a beautiful piece.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They don't come up often, so if you like it, go for it, IMHO. It is a great watch.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information