Date/day wheel white - picking nits
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Date/day wheel white - picking nits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Date/day wheel white - picking nits

I think I'd own quite a bit more Balls, and probably many more watches in general (IWC Aquatimer and Tag Carrera come to mind) if they would just make the date window match the dial.
    Nothing ruins a great black or blue dial for me like a bright white day/date popping out. Many Ball's have day/dates that stick out to my eye. I just can't unsee it. It's less obtrusive if it's not a big white rectangle at 3. Does this bother anyone else? It can't really be that much more to have Selita or ETA send you the black one in the context of a $500 movement.
    Bruce R and gtuck like this.

Re: Date/day wheel white - picking nits

I agree. Here are two beautiful watches that commit the crime of which you speak.

Name:  Ball2.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  50.1 KBName:  Ball4.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  44.7 KB

Yes, I completely agree--that is my one major disappointment with most Ball watches. This has been pointed out repeatedly here and elsewhere, Ball CEOs have seen the feedback (Ball USA CEO, Jeff Hess, is a member of this forum and used to actually participate in threads), and yet, they continue to ignore both customer feedback and common sense. In the end, I just take it as one of those odd idiosyncrasies that make Ball what it is--just off the beaten path, flying under the radar, but generally a great watch for the buck. All from watches I have owned, below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by timefleas; March 1st, 2019 at 15:14.
    Bruce R likes this.
    Less is More...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wondered the same thing myself. Of my watches with a black dial, only the SMPc has a black date wheel--others are white. Tudor's North Flag displays a white date wheel but I suppose it's supposed to mimic an hour marker and doesn't seem to be totally out of place.

This might come as a surprise to some, but I am not really bothered by a date wheel which is of a different colour to the dial. Whilst the coloured date wheel is aesthetically pleasing, I appreciate the border that the white date wheel frames around the black text of the date that improves contrast and thus legibility for me. Of course, this is just me and how my eyes perceive text on different coloured background and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    This might come as a surprise to some, but I am not really bothered by a date wheel which is of a different colour to the dial. Whilst the coloured date wheel is aesthetically pleasing, I appreciate the border that the white date wheel frames around the black text of the date that improves contrast and thus legibility for me. Of course, this is just me and how my eyes perceive text on different coloured background and all that.
    Of course some are going to like the contrast approach--but playing the devil's advocate--would you then like a black wheel on a white dial?

Personally, I don't need or even want a date window at all, so having one that stands out is more distracting than one that blends in. I would like to see at least some models that didn't have Ball's default white date wheel on black--doesn't have to be all of them.

I agree ruins the look of most watches. Personally I'd rather not have a date anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Of course some are going to like the contrast approach--but playing the devil's advocate--would you then like a black wheel on a white dial?

Personally, I don't need or even want a date window at all, so having one that stands out is more distracting than one that blends in. I would like to see at least some models that didn't have Ball's default white date wheel on black--doesn't have to be all of them.
    Got me there. The reverse isn't acceptable to me, so I won't like a black date wheel with white dial.

One of my pet peeves as well. I have passed on a number of watches because of this feature. IWC and Ball tend to be the worst for this, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

If Ball offered a service to change the calendar disks would you be interested?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information