Disaster strikes new Ball Owner

Thread: Disaster strikes new Ball Owner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Disaster strikes new Ball Owner

Hey All,

I'm a brand new owner to Ball Watches, and looking for confirmation that I'm either a [email protected]@ or there is a solution to my problem that I didn't realize.

First I've never had a nice watch before, I bought a Ball Fireman Night Train off of Ebay for a pretty good deal. I intended to wear it as my everyday tool watch, as I use the nighttime lume for a lot of stuff.

My problem is that the watch pops off the band a lot. If I'm putting on a long sleeve shirt or a coat, it can sometimes catch on the watch, and the band spring/pin will pop off the watch, sending it to the ground and me scrambling to find the pin again and put it back in. Also I threw a football to a friend and the motion of throwing the football compressed the spring and caused the watch to pop off, hitting the ground. Recently a coat caused my ball to hit the ground and put a couple nicks in it and damaged the movement. It now adds a minute for every 10 that goes by. I will have to send it in to get serviced.

I have a genuine Ball 21mm wristband. The pins look like the factory ones and not a knockoff or anything. My question is, do you have to be super careful putting on long sleeves and not catching it on anything with ANY nice watch? Looking at the Ball the dimples for the wristband pin to go into are not every deep, is this a design flaw by Ball that makes their watch more susceptible to falling off? Do I just have bad spring/pins and the normal ones are much more stiff and won't give out?

Looking for advice, if it was me that didn't know what I was getting into, I'll take it. I was in the middle east with the US Military and needed a nightime Lume watch, and I've loved Balls for a long time. I didn't have a chance to swap out the bands and pins, otherwise I would have tried that the first time it came off.

I'm sure the service will cost a few $100s, and there are a couple small knicks know, oh, well.

MSgt Prinsen

Re: Disaster strikes new Ball Owner

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTheLucky View Post
    Hey All,

Looking for advice, if it was me that didn't know what I was getting into, I'll take it. I was in the middle east with the US Military and needed a nightime Lume watch, and I've loved Balls for a long time.

MSgt Prinsen
    That really sucks considering how much you've always loved balls.

OK, now that I got that out of the way there is definitely an issue with your band. You should take it back to the place of purchase if able before you do too much damage every time it flies off your wrist. Otherwise try a new strap, preferably a Zulu or NATO that will isolate which pin is creating an issue for you. I'm guessing you have a bad pin or the holes in one of the lugs have a problem.

The problem is of course with the push/spring pins--never use any band that isn't held securely in place by the lug pins. Having bought it used on the bay, chances are good that the pins are not original, or that they were abused--I would have stopped at the first drop and switched out the pins then and there--and as in your situation, if that weren't possible it would have been better to tuck it away until you could find replacements. Nothing about a Ball watch itself that makes it more prone to snagging sleeves, no design flaws regarding depth of holes for the pins, and so forth, and likely the "band" itself has nothing to do with your problems--get a pair of pins that can clearly be inserted correctly, and test the band by a few serious tugs to makes sure they are in place to stay. Your experience as described is an unusual one for any watch, and certainly has nothing to do with Ball. Good luck.
    Last edited by timefleas; January 17th, 2015 at 17:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some pics might help.
    But as mentioned above it sounds like its definitely your spring bars. If you cant find new ones or if the lugs are abused and even new springbars dont help. Switch to a nato strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear about that bad luck. I am sure it will get resolved. Thanks for your service by the way!

I wouldn`t dive in and blame the watch just yet.

. I`d say it`s more likely the last owner changed the strap and threw the original strap back on with the pishy springbars from the last strap.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    The problem is of course with the push/spring pins--never use any band that isn't held securely in place by the lug pins. Having bought it used on the bay, chances are good that the pins are not original, or that they were abused--I would have stopped at the first drop and switched out the pins then and there--and as in your situation, if that weren't possible it would have been better to tuck it away until you could find replacements. Nothing about a Ball watch itself that makes it more prone to snagging sleeves, no design flaws regarding depth of holes for the pins, and so forth, and likely the "band" itself has nothing to do with your problems--get a pair of pins that can clearly be inserted correctly, and test the band by a few serious tugs to makes sure they are in place to stay. Your experience as described is an unusual one for any watch, and certainly has nothing to do with Ball. Good luck.
    Spot on. Since it appears this did not come from a Ball AD I'm not certain what was going on with the pins. While those do go bad from time to time this sounds like they are not right at all. You did not mention is the holes in the lugs appear to be damaged?
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

First of all, thanks for your service!

Secondly, I agree with Peter, (timefleas), and Michael, (Samanator). I have numerous Ball watches, have purchased some of them pre-owned, and have never had this problem with any of them.

Thirdly, since you purchased the watch as pre-owned, you may want to take it to a watchmaker/ non-Ball watch repair center as Ball USA does not honor warranties for second owners, or after.

Sorry that you got bad pins, or possibly a bad case, more likely the pins though.

Should still be a nice watch once you get the movement serviced.

Cheers,

Sorry to hear this. My now seven year old original dial Generation I Night Train is still my go to watch at night- it's multi tube colors are awesome!

If this were an older Night Train, I do recall spring bar issues, especially with the rubber strap that were later corrected. I don't know if the newer 47mm Night Train had such problems.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

The older model spring pin thing had to do with the White Train version with a bracelet. As with all modern Ball watches the spring pins for a bracelet and a strap are different and should not be interchanged. The difference is the bracelet one compress more, but to stop over flexing they are supported inside the end link. Use those on the strap and it may pop off, use the strap ones on the bracelet and if by some incredible amount of forcing it on the watch you'll need to cut them to get them off. I keep the bracelet ones with the bracelets in plastic bags and the strap ones with the strap also in plastic bags.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information