Easy to add links?

Thread: Easy to add links?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Easy to add links?

After wearing my new Fireman 43mm for a couple of days, I now notice it is very snug and would like to loosen it a little. I'd like to add the 1/2 link back on. My AD is about 30 minutes away and not open very late. I can live with it for now, but how easy would you guys say it is to try adding the link back on myself?

I'm fairly handy with tools and have removed the punch out style link pins before, but these appear to need a very small screwdriver. I really don't want to damage my watch...am I being over protective/paranoid?

Thanks!

Re: Easy to add links?

No Crusher, you're not being paranoid - after all, who wants to damage their Ball? Get yourself a decent set of jewellers (also known as "precision") screwdrivers, making sure you have the correct size for your bracelet's screws, and you'll be able to do it yourself. Be warned, Ball really do tighten-down their bracelet screws so take it easy. Gradually increasing the turning pressure of the screwdriver, while keeping a firm downwards pressure on the screwdriver, will eventually persuade it to loosen. Some recommend putting the bracelet in hot water for a few minutes first (but not the watch), but I haven't tried that myself.
    Just about any jeweller could do the job for you in a few minutes if you don't want to risk doing it yourself.
    I often add/delete a 1/2 link on my Fireman bracelet as my wrist swells a bit in hot weather and unfortunately there is no micro-adjustment available with this model/style of Ball bracelet (about the only thing I can find to complain about with my Ball!)

Thanks for the advice! I will look for those precision screwdrivers at my local hardware store.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Crusher,

If you are not too much in a hurry, you can order these:

For 26$ or others here:

http://www.ofrei.com/page238.html

Hope that helps,
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch
    MyTime2watch.blogspot.com

just don't buy cheap screwdrivers as they are made of very soft steel and will bend and slip in the slot. Go with what our moderator is recommending.

When you are working with the screws on a Ball watch I recommend that you hold the watch very firmly then put a significant amount of pressure on the screwdriver pushing downward into the screw. VERY CAREFULLY turn the screw clockwise a tiny bit then counter clockwise to help loosen the screw, you may have to repeat this several times to loosen the screw as sometimes they come from the factory with locktite on the threads (be VERY careful not to slip the with screwdriver otherwise you will put a nice scratch in your watch). Remove the screws, remove the links then put a little bit of LOCKTITE thread locking compound onto the threads of the screw. Insert the screw back into the link and then when it bottoms out (without turning the screw).... turn the screw counter-clockwise and gently push down. You will feel the screw lift up just a little on the last thread and then fall back down. You now know you are seated properly on the threads and can turn the screw clockwise to tighten it down without cross threading it. If you feel ANY binding STOP and start over.. you dont want to cross thread the link screw.

This is the proper way to drive precision machine screws into a watch bracelet so you dont mess up the threads. Call me if you need to discuss further. It would be my pleasure to assist you.

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate all the advice. I think it may be best to make another trip to my AD this weekend and let them do it for me....besides, will give me another chance to look at all the fine watches there

Don't let me scare you Crusher it is really not hard it just takes patience and care to do the job right. Most people with mechanical skills have no problem doing the job without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Thanks again guys! I really appreciate all the advice. I think it may be best to make another trip to my AD this weekend and let them do it for me....besides, will give me another chance to look at all the fine watches there
    CAREFUL! Going to your AD may result in more purchases... wait a minute, THAT'S A GOOD THING!!!
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch
    MyTime2watch.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by abouttime View Post
    Don't let me scare you Crusher it is really not hard it just takes patience and care to do the job right. Most people with mechanical skills have no problem doing the job without any issues.
    No problem, my biggest worry is scratching or damaging the bracelet, although I'm fairly competent with my mechanical skills, I'm not the most patient person

Quote Originally Posted by Time2watch View Post
    CAREFUL! Going to your AD may result in more purchases... wait a minute, THAT'S A GOOD THING!!!
    Any excuse to go to an AD huh?

Thanks again everyone!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information