EM II Diver Vs Hydrocarbon Mad Cow

Poll: EM II Diver Vs Hydrocarbon Mad Cow

Like Tree5Likes

Thread: EM II Diver Vs Hydrocarbon Mad Cow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello Guys,

Apologize, even after years, there are times I'll still need a this or that advice because I just can't decide and to find BALL in local shops is kind of difficult.

Wanting to add a tritium gas tube watch in my collection. My initial brand choice I found is Ogival. A zombie brand that used to be Swiss but now I believe is Chinese owned. Not expensive so it can fulfill my crave without killing my wallet. BUT their design is not giving me an excitement.

So I went on searching for a brand that has resale value. Obvious brand choice is BALL. I want pretty lume but style has to speak to me. Two watches that I am interested in are EM II (green) and Hydrocarbon Mad Cow (white dial. black diver is kinda too safe for fun diver).

There are obvious size and thickness differences. There are owner preferences and BALL fans experience that are unknown to me.

Which would be your choice and why?

Thanks for your help.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  63.4 KB

Re: EM II Diver Vs Hydrocarbon Mad Cow

I have no big issue with big and thick watch. I own Oris 47 TitanC and used to own Darth Tuna.
    Last edited by wuyeah; September 5th, 2018 at 04:59.

Hi, BALL has limited presence in retail shops but it all depends on where you are honestly. I don't see how the Ball Watch is better resale value than any other brands as most watches tank rather quickly.

As for your two choices, I voted EM II (green) and my rationale is:
    - Whilst the Mad Cow and the white dial is a beautiful watch, I dislike the painted numbers on the bezel. They come off after a few years and look awful unless you service it and do something with it.
    - The dark dial is more popular with buyers so it helps if you want to flip it later;
    - The EMII case will maintain and age well compared to the Mad Cow;
    - EMII has date and day; and
    - EMII date is at 3pm and not at the 4.30pm position. Something about 4.30pm date messes with my eyes and brains.

These are my thoughts, either way both are great watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Hi, BALL has limited presence in retail shops but it all depends on where you are honestly. I don't see how the Ball Watch is better resale value than any other brands as most watches tank rather quickly.

As for your two choices, I voted EM II (green) and my rationale is:
    - Whilst the Mad Cow and the white dial is a beautiful watch, I dislike the painted numbers on the bezel. They come off after a few years and look awful unless you service it and do something with it.
    - The dark dial is more popular with buyers so it helps if you want to flip it later;
    - The EMII case will maintain and age well compared to the Mad Cow;
    - EMII has date and day; and
    - EMII date is at 3pm and not at the 4.30pm position. Something about 4.30pm date messes with my eyes and brains.

These are my thoughts, either way both are great watches.
    My resale value was comparing to Ogival. Cuz not many even aware of this brand. In comparison, BALL has better reputation overall.
    Last edited by wuyeah; September 5th, 2018 at 08:24.

Is it a painted bezel? I know bezel markers do glow in the dark. not sure what they use on the marker.

Last edited by wuyeah; September 5th, 2018 at 08:24.

I've owned the Mad Cow, but not the EM II Diver (nor would I, ever). First, the Mad Cow is one of Ball's watches that has achieved something of a legendary status--very popular when it came out, and has usually done well in the aftermarket--one of their "classics". I much prefer having all four main hour markers on the dial as on the Mad Cow, and not the EMII D (which has the day/date window at 3 o'clock--leaving a very noticeable blank spot in the dark). I also like the crown guard on the Mad Cow, and the hands--they really fit the watch well. What I didn't like was that the dial was actually rather small--not a big problem, but... Also, on the rotating bezel are four raised sections, at the 1, 5, 7 and 11 hours--these tended to snag on things when I put my hand in my pocket, or on sweaters, and so forth.

Why I wouldn't buy the EMII D: I hate the hands, particularly the huge arrow head on the minutes hand, and the hour hand looks like it came out of a different part box. I also don't like green on watches in general, especially if used asymmetrically. Further, the large numbers seem odd: "12" but then 15, 30 and 45.... Finally, I have never met a real diver who needed either the day or the date on the watch that they actually dived with--the EMII D has both, while on the Mad Cow, the date is not at all intrusive, and can be ignored if desired.
    Last edited by timefleas; September 5th, 2018 at 19:13.

Diver gets my vote. It would have to be a fourth or fifth watch in the collection though. The color scheme, while attractive, isn't quite as versatile.

I’m pretty sure the Mad Cow is no longer made, so you would have to find one for sale that is pre owned. I personally have seen a few for sale, but they don’t come up for sale all that often... maybe 4-5 a year (from my limited knowledge, I haven’t been searching for one, so I could be wrong).

I am also not a fan of the green on the EMII Diver, I prefer the silver accent. I do however like the guilloche dial on the previous models. It looks like they now have horizontal striping, which I am not a huge fan of.

Have you checked out the EMII Diver COSC version? It’s titanium, so more comparable to the Mad Cow, and with the date placed at 4:30 it doesn’t take the place of the 3:00 marker.

I own the COSC Diver, and love it. Any specific questions on that I could answer.

Daniel
    *edit to add pic of the COSC Diver
    wuyeah likes this.

The diver is far superior in look and function.

Hello guys. Sorry to inform, I lost auction bid on Xbay....so I didn't get the mad cow. End price was 916. So I went for a Tudor BB ETA red..... My decision is because ETA variant are getting harder to sort. Price went pretty crazy in my opinion. I don't see its price will go down soon since dial got a rose and smiley text.

I can wait for mad cow later. Maybe price can be even better. But BBR ETA is more like now or never. Although BB 58 size is just perfect in every way. Kinda wish initial BB were 39mm.
    Last edited by wuyeah; September 10th, 2018 at 03:35.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information