Engineer Hydrocarbon vs. Engineer Master II Diver
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dogbert_is_fat

Thread: Engineer Hydrocarbon vs. Engineer Master II Diver

Hi all,
    I'm considering one of the two (pre-owned) and I can't really decide which one to take 😉
    Actually two different watches that have something in them but cannot have both so need to make decision.
    Which one would you take and why?

Ball Hydrocarbon DM1016A-S1J-BK vs. Ball Engineer Master II Diver DM3020A-SAJ-BK

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by antjama; September 23rd, 2018 at 23:19.

Re: Engineer Hydrocarbon vs. Engineer Master II Diver

Quote Originally Posted by antjama View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm considering one of the two (pre-owned) and I can't really decided which one to take ;)
    Actually two different watches that have something in them but cannot have both so need to make decision.

Ball Hydrocarbon DM1016A-S1J-BK vs. Ball Engineer Master II Diver DM3020A-SAJ-BK

thanks
    Diver for sure. Dont like the crown guards on the first one, and having the day and date is a bonus since I despise using my phone for that. And it just looks super cool to boot!
    Rocking my speedmaster professional on a black silicone strap everyday!

Hi all,
    I'm considering one of the two (pre-owned) and I can't really decide which one to take

thanks
    On the look factor alone, I would buy the Engineer II Master Diver because it speaks to me. But buying watches is mostly emotional and irrational, so I would give you some points to think about.

Know that both are good watches with good depth ratings - yes, 200m vs 300m - gotcha. The Engineer Hydrocarbon is a range that sits above the Engineer/Engineer II catalogue and when new, would be 20 to 30% more than the Engineer range. As they are older models, I can't tell you how much they were at MSRP. However, I suspect that at used prices, the gap is closer now and cost wise are very similar.

Dial
    The dial of the Engineer II Master Diver (EMD) is very clean and well laid out compared to the Engineer Hydrocarbon (EHC). The EMD has a unique feature in that the dive indications are mounted in the internal case around the outer extremities of the dial. It is well lumed and looks very cool at night. The EMD also has day & date whereas the EHC only has a date at 4.30 position which is a no-no for me. I dislike how large the lume for the hour markers are on the EHC.

Case
    The case of the EHC is very chunky and has that crown guard which is the feature of every watch in the Engineer Hydrocarbon range. It sits tall and proud on your wrist but the good point is that the lugs turn downwards so it will accept a fairy small wrist (I think as small as 6.75"). On contrary, the EMD's case is more normal and what one would expect. So it depends on the purpose of what you are buying this watch for. The theatre and spectacle or fly under the radar?

Bracelet
    If I am not wrong, the EHC has a more solid bracelet but you will have to check the two. They both have polished centre links but I believe the clasps are different and the EHC has a better clasp.

In the end, you think with your mind but buy with your heart. Hope this makes sense?
    MrZeke likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi all,
    I'm considering one of the two (pre-owned) and I can't really decide which one to take

thanks
    I would choose the EHC. I prefer the larger flat tubes on the EHC, which are similar to my Engineer III Endurance and the Marvelight. I like the overall size of the watch, including the oversized crown guard. Then again, I have an 8" wrist so size doesn't bother me.

I'm not such a fan of the diver. I am not crazy about the inner rotating timing bezel with the plain bezel on the outside. I also think I'm the dark that the dial might look confusing. The 12 is illuminated with tubes, but no other hour markers are. At the same time, the 15, 30 and 45 of the timing bezel are also tubes. I think this would look confusing. Lastly, I am not a fan of day complication. I don't keep them on a winder generally, so having to reset both day and date when I choose to wear it is less desirable. I pretty much always know what day it is.

Hydrocarbon—on looks alone!

For me, it would be the Hydrocarbon. It has a guillioche dial, which I like. The diver's inner bezel is just a little "over the top" IMO.
    Current Lineup: TBD
    Rolex Submariner 116613LN Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Breitling Galactic Unitime Sleek T World Timer Breitling Avenger II Chronograph
    Omega Seamaster 300M 44MM GMT Chronograph Deep Blue Master 2000
    Tissot T-Touch Expert, All Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual AT CB0000-57E
    TBD TBD

IMHO there is no competition here ;)

Name:  8DB8A2D1-2A0B-4F90-86DD-84B091183C6F.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  1.85 MB
    Last edited by colonelpurple; November 13th, 2018 at 09:07.

deletr

So, I wonder if the OP has made his mind up?

The Hydro Ball's have the coolest crown guards. I'd personally go that direction.

Thread Information